November 2021 Vinyl Spin Challenge Thread: High wind through the trees, falling November leaves, a weak sun hanging low, summer seems so long ago...

Kris

Fembot
I don't know if all of these will work but really anything will do...Internet bonus points if you play the album that has the song titles.
Title comes from "Love is a Catastrophe" by The Pet Shop Boys
  1. Dia de los Muertos "Day of the Dead"
    Play a record to pay respects to someone who has passed, be it a record they loved or one that reminds you of them.​
  2. Melbourne Cup Day
    Play an album that references racing or any of the traditions of the holiday, like hats.​
  3. Stress Awareness Day
    Play a record that helps you deal with stress whether it's dancing, exercise, or meditation.​
  4. Diwali ("Festival of Lights")
    Play a record with a song referencing lights or has cover art that features lighting.​
  5. Redhead Day
    Play a record by redhead or if you don't have one, play a red record.​
  6. Song Title "November Rain"
    Play an album that fits perfectly into a cold gray rainy day.​
  7. Daylight Savings Time Ends
    Play an album that references time.​
  8. World Adoption Day
    Play an album by someone who was adopted or who adopted children themselves.​
  9. National Accounting Day
    Play an album with themes of money.​
  10. Song Title "Rose Hip November"
    Play a folk album.​
  11. Veteran's Day / Armistice Day / Remembrance Day
    Play an album by a veteran.​
  12. Who is that?
    Play an album by a solo female artist where a photo of them is not featured on the front cover. It's harder than it sounds!​
  13. Song Title "Gone Til' November"
    Play a hip-hop album.​
  14. Sadie Hawkins Day
    Ask someone of a different gender to pick your album for today.​
  15. Song Title "November Spawned a Monster"
    Play an punk/post-punk album.​
  16. National Drummer Day
    Play an album with a killer drum solo or by your favorite drummer.​
  17. National Hiking Day
    Play an instrumental album that’s a great soundtrack to a walk through the woods.​
  18. Song Title "Mr. November"
    Play an indie rock album.​
  19. National "Play Monopoly Day"
    Play an album you can somehow tie to the game, for example, maybe one of the pieces is used in the cover art or one of the streets are referenced.​
  20. Transgender Day of Remembrance
    Play an album by a transgender or non-binary artist.​
  21. World Hello Day
    Play the album you would give to someone to introduce them to an artist.​
  22. Song Title "November Blue"
    Play a blues album.​
  23. "The Fields of November"
    Play a bluegrass or country album.​
  24. Blackout Wednesday
    Play an album that makes you nostalgic for your high school days.​
  25. American Thanksgiving
    Play an album to soundtrack a multi-generational dinner party.​
  26. Black Friday
    Play an album you have because it was a "good deal" or FOMO and not because you really wanted it.​
  27. Small Business Saturday
    Play the last album you got at a mom and pop store.​
  28. Hanukkah - Festival of Lights
    Hanukkah means "dedication" in Hebrew. Play an album and dedicate it to someone in your life.​
  29. Cyber Monday
    Play an album that has a theme of the advance of technology, computers, and the like.​
  30. Giving Tuesday
    If you can, play a record that you gave a second copy to someone else, if not, play one that was given to you.​

Last edited:
    Play a record to pay respects to someone who has passed, be it a record they loved or one that reminds you of them.
Here's a 10 LP behemoth titled 'Day Of The Dead', all in tribute to The Grateful Dead. Paying homage to the fallen in the band and donating all proceeds to HIV research to honor those lost to AIDS.

A fun, diverse record...

Day Of The Dead

20200515_235806.jpg

1. Day of the Dead

My brother and I always bonded over music. I didn’t get to see him much as adults due to distance and his illness so we would chat over email and I made sure I kept all of them. He loved 90s electronic music as I did. This was one of his favorite albums.
Orbital - Brown Album
4C518448-5783-440D-B8D7-8C77FDA35792.jpeg

Day 1 - Dia de los Muertos "Day of the Dead"
Play a record to pay respects to someone who has passed, be it a record they loved or one that reminds you of them.

My parents both passed last year, today was my Mom’s Birthday and they both loved country music. This one fits perfectly, as they loved both June and Johnny.

Johnny Cash at Folsom Prison

EA886F9A-1850-4C3A-BADB-7A7435DDE5AC.jpeg

My father passed away exactly 7 months ago today. My dad was, among other things, a big train buff. This cassette was left in the tape deck of his car, and I'd play it when I was driving around helping my mom clean stuff out, thinking about him singing along to it. My dad also loved to travel and experiencing different cultural celebrations, so I'm having positive thoughts and memories based on the spirit of the day.

Willie Nelson ~ City of New Orleans

1635798662802.png

My father passed away exactly 7 months ago today. My dad was, among other things, a big train buff. This cassette was left in the tape deck of his car, and I'd play it when I was driving around helping my mom clean stuff out, thinking about him singing along to it. My dad also loved to travel and experiencing different cultural celebrations, so I'm having positive thoughts and memories based on the spirit of the day.

View attachment 116247
The title track is such a great song.

I cannot tell you exactly how close I was to throwing on Mouse Rat and just blasting 5,000 Candles in the Wind with a Lil Sebastian gif.

Anyway, I've told stories of my grandmother here before so I could do that again, but I'm going to go a different direction. Long story short, the marriage that produced my birth was a bad one. My mother re-married when I was 5, and that was a May-December marriage. He was pretty much your prototypical boomer and she Gen X all the way, and neither were in a bad way. He was tough, masculine, but ultimately did his best as a step-father. I was never really close to him as I was a momma's boy and definitely softer as a kid, but looking back he did do what he could to be that positive male influence. He passed when I was 14 and, I'm sure we would've clashed, but I think I could've taken a lot from him if he stayed healthy. My girlfriend's dad and he would've gotten along so well.

I don't know much about him as a person, but I do know a few things

First off, they met when he was moonlighting as a DJ as a club in my hometown, so he had a sick record collection which sadly found its way elsewhere after he died and before I really cared. Second, he HATED Aerosmith. He hated that they refused to acknowledge their New Hampshire roots (questionable in reality). He hated their whole attitude. He also thought they were just a pure rip off of the Rolling Stones. I heard this rant probably once every six months and even more so as Aerosmith had their late 90s revival. I didn't know better but looking back I laugh a lot.

I think he'd be happy to know I own several Stones records and no Aerosmith records, although Aerosmith isn't that bad. So lets bust out my scratchiest Stones for him today. I'm sure if he lasted a few more years he would've loved that I found his music and hated that I really liked JT and Elton more than his classic rock.

The Rolling Stones - AftermathPXL_20211101_205351228.jpg

Van Halen for my friend John.

His funeral is this Saturday. He died from Covid, and it's been a tough loss. I met him in middle school, way back in the 80s. He was the kid who could play Eruption way ahead of anyone else. In fact, that's among my first memories of him - watching him jam in his room on his Kramer playing spot-on versions of songs by his hero, Eddie Van Halen. We jammed together plenty of times, especially in those early days; he had a great spirit, and loads of talent. RIP Krankster, you are missed.

VH.jpeg

In a few days it will have been 33 years since my dad died. The only thing I inherited from him was his record collection. He was Edgar Winter's sound engineer in the 70s and is credited in the thanks on this classic album he worked on.
IMG_20211101_182611__01.jpg

Day 1

I wasn’t very close with my dad’s father. Grandpa was an old school southerner and needless to say, we didn’t have a whole lot in common. He was a night watchman at a furniture company. When we would go visit my dad’s folks, he would sleep during the day. My dad would take me to visit him and we would walk the facility with him on his rounds. There was a guard’s room in the back. He had a cot and a tiny black and white television and this is the first place I ever saw Austin City Limits. I don’t remember who the act was that first time, but I’m sure my Grandpa would appreciate this set:
51B57866-B90C-4170-B7AD-1776FDFF8C7E.jpeg
Merle Haggard - Live from Austin, Tx

Dia de los Muertos "Day of the Dead"

My parents both passed last year, today was my Mom’s Birthday and they both loved country music. This one fits perfectly, as they loved both June and Johnny.

Johnny Cash at Folsom Prison

View attachment 116235

Argentinian folk for my abuelo.

Jorge Cafrune - En el Recuerdo

View attachment 116241

View attachment 116247

In a few days it will have been 33 years since my dad died. The only thing I inherited from him was his record collection. He was Edgar Winter's sound engineer in the 70s and is credited in the thanks on this classic album he worked on.
View attachment 116256

Day 1

I wasn’t very close with my dad’s father. Grandpa was an old school southerner and needless to say, we didn’t have a whole lot in common. He was a night watchman at a furniture company. When we would go visit my dad’s folks, he would sleep during the day. My dad would take me to visit him and we would walk the facility with him on his rounds. There was a guard’s room in the back. He had a cot and a tiny black and white television and this is the first place I ever saw Austin City Limits. I don’t remember who the act was that first time, but I’m sure my Grandpa would appreciate this set:
View attachment 116260
Merle Haggard - Live from Austin, Tx

Add this to the tribute list for Fathers and Grandfathers.

For my Dad.

Willie Nelson - Shotgun Willie

PXL_20211102_001957439.jpg

Day 1: Dia de los Muertos/Day of the Dead

Ghost Funk Orchestra
- A Song for Paul

08682808-C83D-48A0-9FBC-C5A4CEB69DC7.jpeg

A record named for, inspired by, and in honour of bandleader Seth Applebaum’s grandfather Paul Anish, who helped inspire Seth’s love of music. The album also features a poem written by his uncle Matthew who passed away last year.

Day 1: Dia de los Muertos/Day of the Dead

The Stranger ~ Billy Joel
image_50425089.JPG

This year marks 13 since I lost my dad. He wasn't around too much and as time goes along some memories fade more than others. This is my dad's copy of the album and every time I spin it I think of him. I owe my love of Billy Joel to him. I lost two important aunts on my Dad's side last year too so I guess I am spinning this for them too! I thought about my great aunt Saturday too... I miss her and my aunt like hell some days....

Day 1 - Day of the Dead

Elliott Smith - S/T
20211101_220540.jpg
I was 11 when Kurt Cobain died, so Elliott Smith's death was one of the first I can vividly recall among musicians I actively listened to at the time of their death. This one is dedicated to all those friends who have passed before their time.

Wax Mannequin - Have A New Name

20211101_210202.jpg

My friend Tempest was murdered 12 years ago this month. The last time I saw her was 12 years ago in early August at the end of one of our favourite festivals where we'd first crossed paths four years before, and been attending as performers for the three years since that first (and I would continue to do so for another seven years afterwards). In the meantime betweentime we'd lived together, toured together, laughed together and cried together. The very last time I saw her she was beside herself with giddiness because she'd just exchanged albums with Wax Mannequin which made me smile because she was never really one to get starstruck, and Wax was also a good friend so it was neat to watch one of my friends squee with delight in having met and exchanged art with another. I still think of her often, and Wax Mannequin definitely brings those thoughts more forefront and fast. When he came out west on tour the year after she was killed he had learned a couple of her songs and performed them for her home audience - it was a very special show, tears and all. Tempest never got to hear this album, but I'm sure she would have loved it.

Back