November 2021 Vinyl Spin Challenge Thread: High wind through the trees, falling November leaves, a weak sun hanging low, summer seems so long ago...

Day 24
Blackout Wednesday
Play an album that makes you nostalgic for your high school days.

I always consider Metallica's Black Album as my gateway into most of what I still listen to, this one would be 2nd. Music wasn't really that big of a thing for me until this period around 90/91, right when I was starting high school. We didn't have MTV in our area - and this was still the early days of the internet for the most part - I don't think we even got dial-up for our 486 until 92/93. We did have a decent rock station, though.

Soundgarden – Badmotorfinger
A&M Records – 75021 5374 1, 1991

Limited yellow vinyl and alternate image on rear sleeve.

DMM cut at Masterdisk
Pressed at Specialty

iCMCms.jpg

mpsrix.jpg

WAPswK.jpg

Small Business Saturday
Play the last album you got at a mom and pop store

Tom Waits and Crystal Gayle - One from the Heart - Original Motion PIcture Soundtrack

This was from my recent trip to one of my favorite places; Traverse City MI. RPM records in TC is a must-stop every time, and I always find quite a few things on my shortlist.

TW.jpeg

Black Friday
Play an album you have because it was a good deal" or FOMO and not because you really wanted it

I fell behind yesterday from too much pifsgiving fun. But this was the last Amazon accideal that I grabbed that I wouldn't have otherwise. Never really gotten into Iron Maiden, but I was surprised that I actually like this album so $17 well spent. Plus my inner 13-year old thinks the artwork is cool 😎

Screenshot_20211127-095552.jpg

Only spinning a track from this though cause my wife isn't a fan!

Small Business Saturday
Play the last album you got at a mom and pop store

Snagged this this one from a literal mom and pop shop on my first post quarantine outing earlier this year. The couple who runs it are really nice but their prices are way too high (like 20-25% markup over any other store in the area) so I don't go there often. Grabbed a few on this trip though cause I wanted to support local business.

Pierre Moerlen's Gong - Downwind

Screenshot_20211127-101123.jpg

Day 26: Black Friday
Jeff Rosenstock-Ska Dream

Did I need a Ska version of this album? Maybe..maybe not, but it is pretty cool. I think the limited nature of it at the time gave me FOMO that I wouldn't have another chance at the record. I probably wouldn't have grabbed it right away if it weren't a limited release. Plus the polyvinyl airhead always helps sway me.
20211127_114310.jpg

Day 26: Black Friday
Jeff Rosenstock-Ska Dream

Did I need a Ska version of this album? Maybe..maybe not, but it is pretty cool. I think the limited nature of it at the time gave me FOMO that I wouldn't have another chance at the record. I probably wouldn't have grabbed it right away if it weren't a limited release. Plus the polyvinyl airhead always helps sway me.
View attachment 119293
Shit. I just remembered I ordered but have yet to receive the cassette tape of this.

I hope you get a better flavor than grape. My favorites are the mystery ones!
Ha! Nah I just looked it up. I ordered from Bandcamp so no airheads unfortunately. It says they are supposed to be sent out no later than December 3rd. This is why I hate pre-orders this far out. Though, had I not seen this I woulda been pretty stoked to receive it in the mail.

Ha! Nah I just looked it up. I ordered from Bandcamp so no airheads unfortunately. It says they are supposed to be sent out no later than December 3rd. This is why I hate pre-orders this far out. Though, had I not seen this I woulda been pretty stoked to receive it in the mail.
I ordered from bandcamp as well, and got one!

Day 25
American Thanksgiving
Play an album to soundtrack a multi-generational dinner party.

You may not consider them the best band ever, but what they did in a span of only 7/8 years of releasing albums is pretty amazing. Bands go on hiatus for that long. The Beatles made albums almost every year, toured, and made a couple movies.

This comp covers Please, Please Me to Yellow Submarine.

The Beatles – 1962-1966
Apple Records – SKBO 3403, 1973

Cut by Lee Hulko at Sterling
Pressed at Capitol Records Pressing Plant, Jacksonville

6The15.jpg

cQOQU0.jpg

Back