Needles & Grooves AoTM /// Vol. 6 - December 2019 /// The Gloaming - 3 [2019]

What is best tipple to have with a pizza?

• Beer

• Red Wine

• White Wine

• Other (Discuss Below)

• Pop

• Fizzy Pop

• Water

Results are only viewable after voting.
If this dog had a plate of wings beside it, I'd feel comfortable saying it is my spirit animal
My friend has a dog called max. He 100% thinks hes human, to the point where they have a chair at the dining table that Max will sit on whilst everyone else is having dinner. Anyway, Max LOVES nachos but will refuse to eat them unless they have dip on them (salsa is his favorite but hes partial to guac as well). You can literally put the nacho in front of him and he will sniff it then stare at the table where he knows the dip is. Max is a such a diva!

Edit:

Here he is. He doesn't have any food on the plate or eat at the table, but he gets pissed off when everyone else has a plate and cutlery but he doesn't, because you know...diva.

IMG_8121.JPG

Last edited:
So, my (completely) uneducated take after just 2 listens: The Gloaming is undoubtedly gorgeous.

Outside of the band that used to play at my local Irish pub, which, before you get offended, is owned by and staffed by actual Irish people, my knowledge of Irish music is essentially nonexistent. But the fiddle is immediately recognizable and relatable to my "expectations." The piano is beautiful, as I expected from Doveman. The vocals were the most jarring/surprising part to me, but as I started to recognize them as another instrument rather than the "lead" instrument that I'm used to, they started to make more sense and mesh with the music.

I, personally, use music to soundtrack different parts of my life. The music I listen to when I make my kids breakfast is different than the music I listen to when I commute, which is different than the music that I listen to while I make dinner or relax with a cup of coffee on a Sunday morning, etc. I definitely see The Gloaming finding a way into one of these niches. Thanks again, Joe Mac (and others). Looking forward to future N&G AoTMs.

Also, I think I could hang out with Max.

So, my (completely) uneducated take after just 2 listens: The Gloaming is undoubtedly gorgeous.

Outside of the band that used to play at my local Irish pub, which, before you get offended, is owned by and staffed by actual Irish people, my knowledge of Irish music is essentially nonexistent. But the fiddle is immediately recognizable and relatable to my "expectations." The piano is beautiful, as I expected from Doveman. The vocals were the most jarring/surprising part to me, but as I started to recognize them as another instrument rather than the "lead" instrument that I'm used to, they started to make more sense and mesh with the music.

I, personally, use music to soundtrack different parts of my life. The music I listen to when I make my kids breakfast is different than the music I listen to when I commute, which is different than the music that I listen to while I make dinner or relax with a cup of coffee on a Sunday morning, etc. I definitely see The Gloaming finding a way into one of these niches. Thanks again, Joe Mac (and others). Looking forward to future N&G AoTMs.

Also, I think I could hang out with Max.

Thank you, it really great to hear that you gave it such a detailed listen and could comment so clearly on how you felt about it. I agree with the vocals. The sean nós vocal tradition is a form of a Capella folk singing that can vary from the ornate to the plain and rough hewn depending on the area of Ireland you are in. Putting it to music is a relatively new idea and it does have the effect of presenting as both vocals and another instrument. Equally the percussive guitar and fiddle are very traditional Irish. For me it’s the sound and lines of the Hardanger fiddle and the beautiful piano really elevate it.

i really hope that you can find a place for it, I find that it works well for me both in the morning with breakfast and in the wee small hours with a whiskey.

My friend has a dog called max. He 100% thinks hes human, to the point where they have a chair at the dining table that Max will sit on whilst everyone else is having dinner. Anyway, Max LOVES nachos but will refuse to eat them unless they have dip on them (salsa is his favorite but hes partial to guac as well). You can literally put the nacho in front of him and he will sniff it then stare at the table where he knows the dip is. Max is a such a diva!

Edit:

Here he is. He doesn't have any food on the plate or eat at the table, but he gets pissed off when everyone else has a plate and cutlery but he doesn't, because you know...diva.

View attachment 23065
This dog is so cute and smart! I want Max! I want to cuddle and play with him and take him to the park and get Gelato and have him lick it and love it! 😂

This dog is so cute and smart! I want Max! I want to cuddle and play with him and take him to the park and get Gelato and have him lick it and love it! 😂
Max would definitely love to get a gelato with you @NathanRicaud. Way to his heart is food. Only sad part of that is that Max has to be taken on walks where theres less likely to be other dogs. Max HATES other dogs, even when they are on TV he will stand there barking at them. He was unfortunately a bait dog before he was rescued so hes scared of all dogs as a result.

Not to worry though, he spends his day with his best friend Toby (a tortoise) and he always looks out for him. In fact, if you ask Max where Toby is, he will run over to wherever he is hiding so you know where to find him.

Max would definitely love to get a gelato with you @NathanRicaud. Way to his heart is food. Only sad part of that is that Max has to be taken on walks where theres less likely to be other dogs. Max HATES other dogs, even when they are on TV he will stand there barking at them. He was unfortunately a bait dog before he was rescued so hes scared of all dogs as a result.

Not to worry though, he spends his day with his best friend Toby (a tortoise) and he always looks out for him. In fact, if you ask Max where Toby is, he will run over to wherever he is hiding so you know where to find him.
Awwwww poor Max that he’s scared of other dogs! But it sounds like he’s so happy with his best friend Toby! I can’t even deal with cute Max and Toby’s relationship is! Like, it’s honestly so adorable and heart-warning at the same time! ♥️

Humans can be the worst.

Max is a good boy for overcoming his rough life. He's applied his skills learned by becoming Toby's body guard.

I'm listening to The Gloaming s/t. And it just screams out to me - rainy day, cable knit sweater, hot chocolate, slippers, sheep dog (or a hound dressed up as a sheep dog) by the fire.

It's such a cozy feeling album. I just really love the introduction to this band so much. Thank you, Joe!

I'm listening to The Gloaming s/t. And it just screams out to me - rainy day, cable knit sweater, hot chocolate, slippers, sheep dog (or a hound dressed up as a sheep dog) by the fire.

It's such a cozy feeling album. I just really love the introduction to this band so much. Thank you, Joe!

Yes! I think it does give a feel of our mad climate. Sat inside by a fire looking out the window and howling winds and lashing rain!

I think the last song on that one, Samhradh Samhradh, is just about my favourite song of theirs.

I meant to post here last night but never got around to it. So, here we go.

I spent the day (while at work) listening to all of The Gloamings discography in order. I wasn't planning on doing that but I listened to The Gloaming-3 on my way to work and was just blown away by how good it is, so once I got in I started with 1 and worked my way through to 3 again. It's hard to describe but they really aren't like any other group I have listened to before. There's definitely hints of chamber music, ambient, and of course the Irish music.

The only real experience of hearing Irish music was a couple of years ago when I spent a weekend in Dublin. The music I heard then was perhaps more stereotypical because they were clearly catering to the tourists. The language that The Gloaming uses almost has a mythical feel to it which I feel is really spellbinding. At first, I found it a bit off-putting but by the third track I was completely sold, and it adds to the music and groups mysterious feel.

Something I noticed when listening in order was how much the music seems to have developed from their first album, through to the third. I personally found The Gloaming 3 to be more ambient or sparse than the others, but I actually think this makes it a better album as a result. It's more mysterious and otherworldly. I really enjoyed their live album as well, I bet they are a fantastic group to see live!

Cheers @Joe Mac for the fantastic pick, it might just be in my top 10 albums/discoveries this year! Im off to find a vinyl copy now!

I spent the day (while at work) listening to all of The Gloamings discography in order. I wasn't planning on doing that but I listened to The Gloaming-3 on my way to work and was just blown away by how good it is, so once I got in I started with 1 and worked my way through to 3 again. It's hard to describe but they really aren't like any other group I have listened to before. There's definitely hints of chamber music, ambient, and of course the Irish music.

The only real experience of hearing Irish music was a couple of years ago when I spent a weekend in Dublin. The music I heard then was perhaps more stereotypical because they were clearly catering to the tourists. The language that The Gloaming uses almost has a mythical feel to it which I feel is really spellbinding. At first, I found it a bit off-putting but by the third track I was completely sold, and it adds to the music and groups mysterious feel.

Something I noticed when listening in order was how much the music seems to have developed from their first album, through to the third. I personally found The Gloaming 3 to be more ambient or sparse than the others, but I actually think this makes it a better album as a result. It's more mysterious and otherworldly. I really enjoyed their live album as well, I bet they are a fantastic group to see live!

Cheers @Joe Mac for the fantastic pick, it might just be in my top 10 albums/discoveries this year! Im off to find a vinyl copy now!

Real World store *cof cof* Bundle super cheap *cof cof*

Thank you! I’m really glad you’re enjoying it!

I completely agree with you about the progression throughout the three albums and the increasing prevalence of ambient music to their sound. I’m probably most familiar and fond of 2 (having had more time with it as much as anything) but I think that they have gone on a journey which has culminated in 3.

its interesting that you say that about the atmosphere of the vocals. There is a bit more to them that I wanted to get into but hadn’t got around to get. For the lyrics on 3Iarla Ó Lionáird adapted the works of a selection of contemporary and ancient Irish poets. I think the natural atmosphere that you get from great poetry combined with the sean nós vocal style creates what you described. As for what they’re singing, I’m no more qualified than you when it comes to Irish!

Back