Needles & Grooves AoTM /// Vol. 6 - December 2019 /// The Gloaming - 3 [2019]

What is best tipple to have with a pizza?

• Beer

• Red Wine

• White Wine

• Other (Discuss Below)

• Pop

• Fizzy Pop

• Water

Results are only viewable after voting.

Joe Mac

So its reached that point of the month! Without further ado...

Ladies and Gentlemen I'm delighted to announce to you all that your Needles & Grooves Album of the Month for December 2019 is....

The Gloaming - 3

The_Gloaming_3.jpg

So for this month I decided to switch our communities focus to Irish music, a theme that will be continued in the further listening picks that I announce in a little while. For a small island we have a proud artistic tradition that deserves to be cherished and celebrated, I wanted to share a little bit of that with you all.

Once this decision had been made the band to pick was glaringly obvious. For me The Gloaming are quite simply in a class of their own, streets above their nearest competitors here. Formed in 2011, initially to perform as a live act, they released their eponymous debut album in 2013 with their follow ups "2" and "3" dropping in 2016 and 2019 respectively. They have also released the exceptional live album "Live at the NCH" in 2018.

The Gloaming are comprised of Iarla Ó Lionáird on vocals, Dennis Cahil on guitar, Martin Hayes on fiddle, Caoimhín Ó Raghallaigh on the Hardanger D'Amore fiddle and with Thomas Bartlett (Doveman) as the producer and pianist. With Ó Lionáird's beautiful and plaintive vocals, sung in the traditional sean nos style, Cahill's percussive guitar, Hayes' beatiful fiddle playing which intertwines throughout with Ó Raghallaigh's Hardanger D'Amore fiddle which produces a deeper, almost throaty, resonant sound. The cherry on the icing on the cake is the beautiful, minimalist piano playing of Bartlett which, while at times is barely present, is always central.

The Gloaming have created a beautiful trinity of albums which increasingly take Irish traditional music into new and exciting places that it has never before ventured. By letting the often dense melodic strands of this music breathe they have evolved our music into a new and exciting form of modern Irish classicism that can confidently stand alongside the very best of the modern European classical minimalist composers.

So why have I chosen 3? I must say it was a very difficult choice between 2 and 3. Both are stunning pieces. The reason is that I think that this album is culmination of the journey they started with their debut album. Through the beautiful half-remembered dream state of "The Lobster", the gorgeous "Pink House" and the joyous "Sheehan's Jigs" and finally culminating in the beautiful "Doctor O'Neill". a track that condenses everything they do best into a stunning 10 minutes, and the deep and beautifully melancholic meditation on death. the final journey we all must take, in "Amhrán Na nGleann" (which translates in English as The Song Of The Glens).

This music is the past, the present and the future of Irish music. It is quite simply transcendent in every way.

Buying Options

Bandcamp
Real World
Real World 4 Album Bundle Deal
Amazon UK
Amazon US
Amazon CA

Last edited:
Céad míle fáilte

Welcome to my turn to pick our N&G album of the month. I really am very excited to share my pick with you, it is an act and an album that I love sharing with people and introducing them to.

But first there must be clues and there must be guessing and for that I will leave you in the capable hands of my man @ThePakoBuelna who will lead you through the maze that I will pop in from time to time to plot.

The announcement will be on Friday 15th November 2019 at approximately 8pm GMT!

Last edited:
Further Listening

I didn't want to repeat myself with Anna Mieke and Lisa Hannigan but please consider them to be in here in spirit. Check here for my piece on these albums.

The Pogues - Rum Sodomy and the Lash

Microdisney - The Clock Comes Down The Stairs

Sinead O'Connor - The Lion and The Cobra

Ash - 1977

The Villagers - [Awayland]

Hilary Woods - Colt

Colt

Last edited:
Here’s what you could have had! Here is my rationale as to why they are worthy but also why I chose not to go with them!

Oasis - Definitely Maybe (1994)

Manic Street Preachers - The Holy Bible (1994)

Lisa Hannigan - Passenger (2011)

Anna Mieke - Idle Mind (2019)

34A126E7-802C-4980-A512-52C93BCF9599.jpeg

Last edited:
Hints:

Hints:

It could be literally anything, providing I like it.

well other than jazz, Lou Reed, metal, country/Americana/pop crossover, flamenco or 50s rock throwback. Oh and Christmas music, I ruled that out too.

So I’ve dropped a few hints around over the last month, some intentionally, one accidentally.

It’s NOT Christmas music
It’s a new genre for the N&G AoTM
It’s not Lisa Hannigan - Passenger

I’ll help you out, it’s not eurodance, eurodisco or europop... 😂

And the first two proper clues are

It’s European Music
The album was released this millennium

This album is by a band/group

Gooooood Morning! It’s Monday!

We need some more talk in this thread! So to that end here are 3 more clues:

I own a physical copy of this album and it is in my Discogs
The OG vinyl release was over 2LPs
I have spun my copy in What’s Spinning on this site
All of the bands/groups members are male.

I’m going clue mad this week (there will be another on Friday too)!

View attachment 21757

Last edited:
Guesses
@Teeeee Paula Abdul-All the albumz💜

Bill Ryder-Jones - West Kirby County Primary

The Gloaming - S/T

Fontaines DC "Dogrel"

Caoimhín Ó Raghallaigh & Thomas Bartlett - S/T
Idles - Brutalism

Not It:
dizee rascals boy in da corner
Libertines - Up the Bracket
The Coral - S/T
Blur - Think Tank
The Wombats - A Guide to Love, Loss & Desperation

Oasis - Don't Believe The Truth
Kaiser Chiefs - Employment
Bloc Party - Silent Alarm

Public Service Broadcasting - The Race For Space

View attachment 21133

Last edited:
Reserved for nonsense, etc:

Pizza discussion starts here...

I voted beer, but what kinda pizza are we talkin' here?

Making fun of irish accents starts here...
Is it wrong that I’m secretly chuckling at the idea of you lot trying to pronounce Caoimhín?

Its pronounced Kwee-veen

Last edited:
Back