Needles & Grooves AoTM /// Vol. 6 - December 2019 /// The Gloaming - 3 [2019]

What is best tipple to have with a pizza?

• Beer

• Red Wine

• White Wine

• Other (Discuss Below)

• Pop

• Fizzy Pop

• Water

Results are only viewable after voting.
I got my tracking today, cant wait!

On a side note, this was something I missed off my review (if you can call it that), and thats the amazing artwork. It suits the music perfectly imo. Strangely enough it gives me real vibes of Tom Waits (especially the Gloaming 2), im particular his 'Mule Variations' album and singles:

R-8331580-1459523042-9411.jpeg.jpg
ebay_1600_1600_jpeg.jpg
hqdefault.jpg
Tom-Waits-Mule-Variations-2LP-Vinyl-Exclusive-2302468-4_1024x1024.jpg

Thanks for this pick @Joe Mac
It's beautiful upon first listen. I feel music very deeply, and am moved by it very often but don't usually find words to match that...so I tend not to write much.

This album and choice furthers my thoughts that I am better at being curated-to than curating-for. Not that I am in line to choose for you all, but I have seriously spent hours thinking about what I could possibly bring to this group that would be worthy and also not super common or played out.

Anyway, cheers and thanks for a great selection!

20191128_102010.jpg

Thanks for this pick @Joe Mac
It's beautiful upon first listen. I feel music very deeply, and am moved by it very often but don't usually find words to match that...so I tend not to write much.

This album and choice furthers my thoughts that I am better at being curated-to than curating-for. Not that I am in line to choose for you all, but I have seriously spent hours thinking about what I could possibly bring to this group that would be worthy and also not super common or played out.

Anyway, cheers and thanks for a great selection!

View attachment 24167
You should definitely sign up! It takes all types to make the world go round.

@Skalap how long from the order did it take until you got the package? I ordered from the same place as you (assuming you bought from the place you sent the link of) and received a ups shipping confirmation on Monday that said it will be delivered the next day. Just chatted to UPS and they explained that the seller bought the label online, meaning I automatically got the notification, BUT they have yet to hand the parcel over to UPS so its not even on its way to me yet.

@Skalap how long from the order did it take until you got the package? I ordered from the same place as you (assuming you bought from the place you sent the link of) and received a ups shipping confirmation on Monday that said it will be delivered the next day. Just chatted to UPS and they explained that the seller bought the label online, meaning I automatically got the notification, BUT they have yet to hand the parcel over to UPS so its not even on its way to me yet.

It took a week or so to get it here in France, it was pretty fast and it should be way faster to have the bundle delivered to you. Maybe you should contact their CS, the person I had was super helpful (got an answer in 24h).

When I was in college, I worked at the radio station for Appalachian State. I was the world music director. I had a show at ten o’clock on Sunday mornings, all I played was music from other countries. Real World and Luka Bop were always the packages I looked the most forward too. As usual, @Joe Mac , you make me want to dig out my CDs.

One last thought on this initial listen, my wife is still in bed and she hasn’t said anything yet, but I’m fairly certain she is going to enjoy this one. Celtic and Zydeco were two music forms that I had not grown to appreciate until recently. Rhiannon Giddens got me over the hump for Zydeco. My wife taught me that Celtic music wasn’t just people playing scales insanely fast on shrill instruments.

Edit: I lied, I wish there were extensive liner notes with translations and some information about the traditions behind the music.

Last edited:
One last thought on this initial listen, my wife is still in bed and she hasn’t said anything yet, but I’m fairly certain she is going to enjoy this one. Celtic and Zydeco were two music forms that I had not grown to appreciate until recently. Rhiannon Giddens got me over the hump for Zydeco. My wife taught me that Celtic music wasn’t just people playing scales insanely fast on shrill instruments.

Edit: I lied, I wish there were extensive liner notes with translations and some information about the traditions behind the music.
I ended up on a Wikipedia binge when listening The the Gloaming albums. There’s a good amount of info behind it if you use the links in the article. Il warn you though, its very much a rabbit hole that will eat away the hours :ROFLMAO:

When I was in college, I worked at the radio station for Appalachian State. I was the world music director. I had a show at ten o’clock on Sunday mornings, all I played was music from other countries. Real World and Luka Bop were always the packages I looked the most forward too. As usual, @Joe Mac , you make me want to dig out my CDs.

haha yeah! I’m happy enough with that reputation, whilst it’d be cool to have everything on vinyl I’m not going to allow format snobbery to keep me from great music! Real World are a great label but beyond Peter Gabriel and The Gloaming I’m not so knowledgable. I feel that’s a rabbit hole @Skalap is qualified to drag us down!

Yeah I mean the stereotypical Irish diddly dee jigs and reels isn’t something anyone is into. Although that said even that can be great in the right settings and with the right musicians/dancers. I just don’t think we were done any favours in the 90s by the likes of Riverdance and Lord of the Dance and The Corrs. There has always been a more melancholic, plaintive side to Irish art that has maybe not translated musically outside of the country.

I wish I could be as helpful as @agutierrezb was with a booklet of translations but I have no Irish and it’s a bloody difficult language to come at from any angle, it’s just so very different from the Germanic, English and Latin forms that influence most western languages.

Moving away from music I’d also really recommend that any of you who haven’t read some Seamus Heaney do so. His poetry has a realness and connection with its place that I think compliments music like this and comes from the same place as it.

Last edited:
Yeah I mean the stereotypical Irish diddly dee jigs and reels isn’t something anyone is into. Although that said even that can be great in the right settings and with the right musicians/dancers. I just don’t think we were done any favours in the 90s by the likes of Riverdance and Lord of the Dance and The Corrs. There has always been a more melancholic, plaintive side to Irish art that has maybe not translated musically outside of the country.

I wish I could be as helpful as @agutierrezb was with a booklet of translations but I have no Irish and it’s a bloody difficult language to come at from any angle, it’s just so very different from the Germanic, English and Latin forms that influence most western languages.
Learning that reels were for dancing was a big step in coming to appreciate the music they are traditionally a base for. My wife was really gobsmacked by my distaste for all of that given my love of Bluegrass. In retrospect, she should have been.

Back