Needles & Grooves AotM /// Vol. 13 - July 2020 /// Recomposed by Max Richter: Vivaldi – The Four Seasons

I wasn’t sure because Vivaldi is EVERYWHERE, with over 500 credits on IMDb. But Larry Holmes (who has very few credits) appeared on the Simpsons on the exact episode as a Vivaldi credit, and that makes me really hopeful! I LOVE this album!

I first listened to it last year after reading a “Top 10 modern classical albums to own on vinyl” listicle on the VMP magazine (which doesn’t seem to exist anymore).

Yeah good choice this. I have Richters sleep on vinyl and listen to him a lot on Spotify (But never tried this for some reason- (dismissed as too familiar) He has really given familiar music an edge !
I don’t generally buy a lot of classical on vinyl anymore (I own a stack) but gonna add this to the collection !

As some one who listens to a great deal of Neo.classical I may be the odd bird who is completely turned off when the work is essentially a cover. I don’t get why everyone needs to do their rendition of Mozart, Tchaichowsky, etc. etc. etc. ad nauseum. It’s like an entire genre of Planet Caravan or something. I think I found Max through Ludovico Einaudi. I like most of his work and did not know he also did yet another cover album. I will give it a try on streaming but I seriously doubt I would be adding it to my collection. I’m not complaining, really, just giving some solidarity to @duke86fan .

As some one who listens to a great deal of Neo.classical I may be the odd bird who is completely turned off when the work is essentially a cover. I don’t get why everyone needs to do their rendition of Mozart, Tchaichowsky, etc. etc. etc. ad nauseum. It’s like an entire genre of Planet Caravan or something. I think I found Max through Ludovico Einaudi. I like most of his work and did not know he also did yet another cover album. I will give it a try on streaming but I seriously doubt I would be adding it to my collection. I’m not complaining, really, just giving some solidarity to @duke86fan .

@debianlinux hatred of covers take a whole new level of debness when applied to classical music. Didn’t see Vivaldi live in the 18th century, tough, you missed your chance...

Oh Deb. Never change.

Deb's disdain for covers is well known in the JQBX. His quarrels lie when an artist does an "empty" cover of something, changing almost nothing about the original to justify making a cover. This record appears to be more of a reinterpretation of the material rather than just a straight cover from what I've read about it. I admit I've not gotten the time to sit down with it yet myself, and apparently neither had Deb when he wrote his message earlier judging by the wording, but as someone who tends to agree with his feelings on covers to a certain degree, I understand the hesitancy.

I myself, not really being a fan of classical music, am going to go in with an open mind. Because I wouldn't call myself a jazz fan, but I enjoyed Mark de Clive-Lowe. I wouldn't call myself a flamenco fan, but I enjoyed Camaron. I wouldn't call myself a fan of Irish music, but I enjoyed The Gloaming. I've learned to trust this club and all of the picks, even in genres I wouldn't have sought out myself, have been phenomenal, so I won't knock anything before I try it.

Deb's disdain for covers is well known in the JQBX. His quarrels lie when an artist does an "empty" cover of something, changing almost nothing about the original to justify making a cover. This record appears to be more of a reinterpretation of the material rather than just a straight cover from what I've read about it. I admit I've not gotten the time to sit down with it yet myself, and apparently neither had Deb when he wrote his message earlier judging by the wording, but as someone who tends to agree with his feelings on covers to a certain degree, I understand the hesitancy.

I myself, not really being a fan of classical music, am going to go in with an open mind. Because I wouldn't call myself a jazz fan, but I enjoyed Mark de Clive-Lowe. I wouldn't call myself a flamenco fan, but I enjoyed Camaron. I wouldn't call myself a fan of Irish music, but I enjoyed The Gloaming. I've learned to trust this club and all of the picks, even in genres I wouldn't have sought out myself, have been phenomenal, so I won't knock anything before I try it.
Just worth noting that calling a classical performance of a composition a cover is just really weird and illogical. There isn't an "original performance" of a composition. In classical music that was actually written after the advent of recorded music (unlike The Four Seasons) it is pretty rare that anyone considers the first performance or the first recorded performance of it to be "the best" and calling a different group of performers' rendition of a composition a cover is just wrong.

Edit:I don't think that directly applies here anyway, as this is a derivation/edit and a different thing from another performance of a composition entirely.

Just worth noting that calling a classical performance of a composition a cover is just really weird and illogical. There isn't an "original performance" of a composition. In classical music that was actually written after the advent of recorded music (unlike The Four Seasons) it is pretty rare that anyone considers the first performance or the first recorded performance of it to be "the best" and calling a different group of performers' rendition of a composition a cover is just wrong.

Edit:I don't think that directly applies here anyway, as this is a derivation/edit and a different thing from another performance of a composition entirely.

Completely with all the moving parts and and the way the compositions act much more as a whole in telling a story, rather than as parts that are also, or perhaps mainly, written as individual songs, makes it more akin to seeing a play with different casts, no one calls the lastest performance of a Shakespeare play at the globe a cover!

Completely with all the moving parts and and the way the compositions act much more as a whole in telling a story, rather than as parts that are also, or perhaps mainly, written as individual songs, makes it more akin to seeing a play with different casts, no one calls the lastest performance of a Shakespeare play at the globe a cover!
Yeah, exactly. And to take that analogy further, classical music performers aren't in it to record music, certainly not to record only original music, just like theater actors. They are first and foremost live art forms and sometimes happen to be recorded.

Yeah, exactly. And to take that analogy further, classical music performers aren't in it to record music, certainly not to record only original music, just like theater actors. They are first and foremost live art forms and sometimes happen to be recorded.

With the exception of the spelling of theatre I'm with you 100% ;)

Back