Needles & Grooves AotM /// Vol. 13 - July 2020 /// Recomposed by Max Richter: Vivaldi – The Four Seasons

I get certainly why everyone's really likes it

It's just the only classical that has so far moved me was the performances of Chopin in the anime your lie in April

This is most certainly not a genre I am familiar with and will probably take a while to grow

In my defense I was groggy, half awake, and irritable this morning when I wrote that. I get that classical pieces are not covers but whenever I peruse the genre I am definitely put off by how many iterations of a given piece I will find. I don’t expect there to be a best nor for the original (as impossible as that is) to be the best. I do like the performance play analogy; There is a script and ideally a lot is left up to creative interpretation.

That said, the 4 seasons has been rehashed countless times and having heard it numerous times (twice in person), I already have strong suspicions (read preformed judgements) of what I am in for this time. Currently, it falls into the same vein as say The Nutcracker score. I do appreciate the narrative aspect to some extent. I can only hope for a high degree of creative license.

In all seriousness, the only difference I can see is that the 2xLP has an extra disc of bonus material and remixes. The single LP pressing from a few years earlier isn't on color vinyl and it doesn't say anything about it being limited edition or being a more "audiophile" pressing or anything. I'm willing to peg it as the 2xLP just being more common.

In all seriousness, the only difference I can see is that the 2xLP has an extra disc of bonus material and remixes. The single LP pressing from a few years earlier isn't on color vinyl and it doesn't say anything about it being limited edition or being a more "audiophile" pressing or anything. I'm willing to peg it as the 2xLP just being more common.

I was just about to post this:

E20797DE-52CD-4DDA-910B-567C20873BC1.jpeg

I get certainly why everyone's really likes it

It's just the only classical that has so far moved me was the performances of Chopin in the anime your lie in April

This is most certainly not a genre I am familiar with and will probably take a while to grow

If you were going to try to get into the Classical genre, is there an instrument you would want to be the focus? Voice? Piano? Violin? Flute? Guitar? Do you want normal harmonic action, or do you want it to get a little weird?
I have so many ideas to throw your way, I just don't know where to begin!

If you were going to try to get into the Classical genre, is there an instrument you would want to be the focus? Voice? Piano? Violin? Flute? Guitar? Do you want normal harmonic action, or do you want it to get a little weird?
I have so many ideas to throw your way, I just don't know where to begin!
seeing as the stuff that touched me was a piano based character performing the sheet but not in a very exact style, more of a personal admission of emotion out into the world (the character was once basically called a human metronome and a sheet music recreator), i think i need a focus on something a definitely harmonic, but focused on piano and textures, i dont mind it a little weird but i dont want it to the level of like schoenberg. the chopin but more emotive level is what im more expecting.. and i am still not used to violins and stuff

i also enjoy steve reichs music for 18 musicians and julius eastmans femenine even though they are a little too long

seeing as the stuff that touched me was a piano based character performing the sheet but not in a very exact style, more of a personal admission of emotion out into the world (the character was once basically called a human metronome and a sheet music recreator), i think i need a focus on something a definitely harmonic, but focused on piano and textures, i dont mind it a little weird but i dont want it to the level of like schoenberg. the chopin but more emotive level is what im more expecting.. and i am still not used to violins and stuff

i also enjoy steve reichs music for 18 musicians and julius eastmans femenine even though they are a little too long

Erik Satie is your man.

This is a brilliant pick. I love richters behinnd the counter 3lp comp for rough trade but never had something from him. I may even pick up the voyager - essential max richter 4lp set to expand this a little

Erik Satie is your man.
any recommended renditions... i know the infamous gymnopedie no 1 which is alright but maybe a bit TOO background music for me (maybe its because i've heard it in so much youtube videos with the solo piano), and i know there are thousands of audiophiles who want specifically janos starkers performance of bach so there probably is a great performance of satie that would work well
though note the blood sweat and tears version of that song is great

Back