Needles & Grooves AotM /// Vol. 12 - June 2020 /// Tortoise - TNT

Not sure if this has been posted yet, but Pitchfork is streaming their 2019 show at the Art Institute of Chicago, where they played TNT in its entirety. It's incredible, whether you are new to Tortosie or have loved this album for 22 years. Seeing this prompted me to order TNT earlier today.

Last edited:
Not sure if this has been posted yet, but Pitchfork is streaming their 2019 show at the Art Institute of Chicago, where they played TNT in its entirety. It's incredible, whether you are new to Tortosie or have loved this album for 22 years. Seeing this prompted me to order TNT earlier this a.m.

I couldn't go, so I haven't watched it, because it makes me sad.

I want them at Pickathon, though

Listening to it for the first time right now. My naive play-by-play thoughts below...

IMG_20200527_181836.jpg

First 30 seconds, I thought something was wrong with my speakers. Then the groove settled in, and was good.

About 5 minutes in, and I am enjoying the meandering horns.

Track 2 has a great rhythm. I feel like I am in a spy movie or bank heist film. When the discord starts is when the job goes sideways. Then it all comes together in the end.

Track 3 very pleasant xylophone melody that keeps building and building. Very nice.

Flip the record... Am I in a Tarantino film now? Sounds like a mashup of soundtracks of many of his movies. That's a good thing, IMHO.

Side 2, track 2: electropop! I like it.

Side 2, track 3: hellooo bass!

Side 3: wasn't feeling it until the "heartbeat" of the drums started about a minute in.

Beginning of track 2 seems ominous.
Last track on side 3 sent me to a classy modern hotel lobby? Don't know but it seems familiar, but I am almost there.

Flip to side 4: I have to admit, am kind of running out of steam... Oh wait! Picking up the beat! Yes!

Wrapping it up on the last track, brings me back down to reality. In all, this is a fantastic record! I really didn't know anything about TNT until now. Thanks for sharing!

Cheers.

My friends/roommates in college were compared to Tortoise a lot, probably because of the high Chicago population in Carbondale.

This review is why I can't stand pitchfork.

The score is lower than it should be...but the review is just a bunch of shit.

Last edited:
My friends/roommates in college were compared to Tortoise a lot, probably because of the high Chicago population in Carbondale.

This review is why I can't stand pitchfork.

The score is lower than it should be...but the review is just a bunch of shit.

true

but this was well deserved

Listening to it for the first time right now. My naive play-by-play thoughts below...

View attachment 49279

First 30 seconds, I thought something was wrong with my speakers. Then the groove settled in, and was good.

About 5 minutes in, and I am enjoying the meandering horns.

Track 2 has a great rhythm. I feel like I am in a spy movie or bank heist film. When the discord starts is when the job goes sideways. Then it all comes together in the end.

Track 3 very pleasant xylophone melody that keeps building and building. Very nice.

Flip the record... Am I in a Tarantino film now? Sounds like a mashup of soundtracks of many of his movies. That's a good thing, IMHO.

Side 2, track 2: electropop! I like it.

Side 2, track 3: hellooo bass!

Side 3: wasn't feeling it until the "heartbeat" of the drums started about a minute in.

Beginning of track 2 seems ominous.
Last track on side 3 sent me to a classy modern hotel lobby? Don't know but it seems familiar, but I am almost there.

Flip to side 4: I have to admit, am kind of running out of steam... Oh wait! Picking up the beat! Yes!

Wrapping it up on the last track, brings me back down to reality. In all, this is a fantastic record! I really didn't know anything about TNT until now. Thanks for sharing!

Cheers.

I like that you bought this completely blind and didn't check it out for the first time until it hit your turntable.

one thing i really like about this tortoise album is not only does it feels like a unique rock album (seeing as its more jazz than rock), but also the fact that i see clear hip hop influence all over it... i actually rapped to the beats while they were playing

Sorry for the delay / quiet! This time we are in... I'm telling you... it has been a challenge on many fronts and I am sure you can all relate. In any case, here is my little write up on what this album means to me:

This album came out when I was 20. In an experience that is still largely familiar today, I was in my local record shop (though I exclusively bought CDs back then) perusing and came across the intriguing album cover of TNT. I asked the owner if he would throw it on so I could hear a bit and he obliged. I was hooked almost instantly, made the purchase, and walked back across the street to my apartment to have a proper listen. I don’t remember a lot other than enjoying that initial listen. The album would fully stick a night or two later.

I lived in an apartment with a few friends I had known since high school. We got up to the usual shenanigans for a group of friends, some of whom had recently crossed the 21-year threshold and were hell bent on recreating some sort of Beat Generation on the college streets of Orono, Maine. We mostly worked meaningless jobs during the day and thought we were solving the world's problems by night, primarily fueled by cheap beer and the highest quality weed we could score. One night a few days after coming across TNT, we all piled into our friend’s Pathfinder and drove aimlessly. This wasn’t uncommon and the driver was always sober. We ended up on the coast after an hour or so. This was March in Maine and it was blisteringly cold. We had a lot of snow that winter and I remember getting out of the car and hearing the ocean but seeing nothing but an expanse of white snowpack leading into the black. Without a word, I just started walking toward the ocean. I wanted to catch a shadowed glimpse of the waves rolling in, but it was pitch dark. I walked on. The sound of the rolling water got louder, but I still couldn’t see much of anything. I heard a crack and in an instant I was chest deep in what to this day is the coldest water I have ever felt. It took every bit of air out of me and my muscles seized. I couldn’t even bring myself to yell for help. I just turned around and started making my way slowly back the way I’d come except the snow and ice were parting to let me trudge out. I stumbled my way back to my friends and managed to explain briefly that I had fallen into the ocean and was freezing. Acting quickly, they got me into the back end of the SUV, stripped off my clothes, covered me with their jackets, and blasted the heat. We made our way back home. A friend found my portable CD player, which I never went anywhere without. He placed the headphones on my ears and pressed play. TNT washed over me and little by little my body stopped shaking and I found myself in a serene and peaceful place.

I won’t go so far as to say I had a spiritual experience that night, but it was a special one. From that day forward this album has always had a place in my life. To me it’s a soundtrack of peace in times of uncertainty or fear. It has the power to transport me out of anything and quiet my mind. For years after my near-hypothermic experience I fell asleep to it every night.

I was diagnosed with panic disorder later in my life, something that, looking back, I clearly suffered from as long as I can remember. It wasn’t until I had a full blown panic attack for the first time in my early 30s that I sought any sort of help. Looking back, TNT was always what I picked up when I felt those needles pricking at my brain, that sense of unease that was sure to trigger racing thoughts and restlessness. It didn’t always have the power to stop it, but it never failed to calm me, even if only a little bit. It has remained a sort of auditory security blanket for me to this day and I am grateful to have had the chance to share it and a bit of this backstory with all of you.

Sorry for the delay / quiet! This time we are in... I'm telling you... it has been a challenge on many fronts and I am sure you can all relate. In any case, here is my little write up on what this album means to me:

This album came out when I was 20. In an experience that is still largely familiar today, I was in my local record shop (though I exclusively bought CDs back then) perusing and came across the intriguing album cover of TNT. I asked the owner if he would throw it on so I could hear a bit and he obliged. I was hooked almost instantly, made the purchase, and walked back across the street to my apartment to have a proper listen. I don’t remember a lot other than enjoying that initial listen. The album would fully stick a night or two later.

I lived in an apartment with a few friends I had known since high school. We got up to the usual shenanigans for a group of friends, some of whom had recently crossed the 21-year threshold and were hell bent on recreating some sort of Beat Generation on the college streets of Orono, Maine. We mostly worked meaningless jobs during the day and thought we were solving the world's problems by night, primarily fueled by cheap beer and the highest quality weed we could score. One night a few days after coming across TNT, we all piled into our friend’s Pathfinder and drove aimlessly. This wasn’t uncommon and the driver was always sober. We ended up on the coast after an hour or so. This was March in Maine and it was blisteringly cold. We had a lot of snow that winter and I remember getting out of the car and hearing the ocean but seeing nothing but an expanse of white snowpack leading into the black. Without a word, I just started walking toward the ocean. I wanted to catch a shadowed glimpse of the waves rolling in, but it was pitch dark. I walked on. The sound of the rolling water got louder, but I still couldn’t see much of anything. I heard a crack and in an instant I was chest deep in what to this day is the coldest water I have ever felt. It took every bit of air out of me and my muscles seized. I couldn’t even bring myself to yell for help. I just turned around and started making my way slowly back the way I’d come except the snow and ice were parting to let me trudge out. I stumbled my way back to my friends and managed to explain briefly that I had fallen into the ocean and was freezing. Acting quickly, they got me into the back end of the SUV, stripped off my clothes, covered me with their jackets, and blasted the heat. We made our way back home. A friend found my portable CD player, which I never went anywhere without. He placed the headphones on my ears and pressed play. TNT washed over me and little by little my body stopped shaking and I found myself in a serene and peaceful place.

I won’t go so far as to say I had a spiritual experience that night, but it was a special one. From that day forward this album has always had a place in my life. To me it’s a soundtrack of peace in times of uncertainty or fear. It has the power to transport me out of anything and quiet my mind. For years after my near-hypothermic experience I fell asleep to it every night.

I was diagnosed with panic disorder later in my life, something that, looking back, I clearly suffered from as long as I can remember. It wasn’t until I had a full blown panic attack for the first time in my early 30s that I sought any sort of help. Looking back, TNT was always what I picked up when I felt those needles pricking at my brain, that sense of unease that was sure to trigger racing thoughts and restlessness. It didn’t always have the power to stop it, but it never failed to calm me, even if only a little bit. It has remained a sort of auditory security blanket for me to this day and I am grateful to have had the chance to share it and a bit of this backstory with all of you.
When it was whispered that this might be the pick, I was totally on board. It made me "see" you more.

When you confirmed it, I felt more connected to you and wanted to share that with you. The concert I saw was one of the best and most mind blowing shows I've ever seen. It was unlike anything else. I remember thinking that it was very silly that there were xylophones on stage and was I in for some elementary school Hot Cross Buns like concert? I'm so glad I didn't let that thought escape my mouth. It was so wrong. That show was amazing and those dudes absolutely rocked the xylophones.

But I didn't anticipate at all the power of your story. Wow. I'm in awe. Thank you for sharing it, it was beautiful.

When it was whispered that this might be the pick, I was totally on board. It made me "see" you more.

When you confirmed it, I felt more connected to you and wanted to share that with you. The concert I saw was one of the best and most mind blowing shows I've ever seen. It was unlike anything else. I remember thinking that it was very silly that there were xylophones on stage and was I in for some elementary school Hot Cross Buns like concert? I'm so glad I didn't let that thought escape my mouth. It was so wrong. That show was amazing and those dudes absolutely rocked the xylophones.

But I didn't anticipate at all the power of your story. Wow. I'm in awe. Thank you for sharing it, it was beautiful.
I feel like you and I had a similar Tortoise concert experience, so I will share mine as well. This must have been the spring/summer after TNT came out. A few of my friends and I decided to make the drive to Boston (or more accurately Cambridge) to catch Tortoise at some place we'd never heard of called the Middle East. We got down there very early and were just sort of wandering the streets trying to find the venue so we knew where we had to get to later in the evening. This was before the advent of pulling a computer from your pocket that could just lead the way of course. So, we just kept asking people on the street and eventually found ourselves standing across from what appeared to be a middle eastern restaurant. It did have a sign that proclaimed it was the Middle East, but we were positive we'd been led astray. To be sure, I walked in and inquired if there was a concert here later that night. The hostess pointed to a large set of closed doors and did her best to explain that we needed to come back later and go down the stairs behind that door. So, we checked out the city a bit and came back later. Sure enough, the doors had opened and we meandered down a flight of stairs and descended into a subterranean club unlike anything I'd ever seen. There were bars on opposite sides and a small stage just crammed full of drums and yes, the xylophones. I guess I had assumed a lot of that was electronic on the recording, but clearly they intended to play it all. And they did. It was such a mind-blowing show and one that I often think back on. I've not had the chance to catch them again and in this weird time, who knows when that opportunity will ever come around or feel right again. But if/when it does, I'm there. 100%.

Thank you for your kind words!

Back