Needles & Grooves AotM /// Vol. 12 - June 2020 /// Tortoise - TNT

I love this pick! So so much.

I am actually curious to hear from those who don't like this. I feel like it is an album that defies genres so there is something in here for everyone and I can't imagine not liking it. So I am very sincere. If you don't enjoy it, totally cool, just curious what doesn't appeal to you about it.

I have this on CD. i like it, but I don't think I have any of their other stuff. Really should investigate their other stuff.

If you like this, may I recommend "Goodbye Enemy Airship the Landlord is Dead" by Do Make Say Think. It's got a similar jazzy-post rock vibe. I always leant towards the more rocky side of post rock, and I really need to give this side of it more of a shake.

Will listen to this later...

Midway through my second stream. Maybe it is because my local record store had this album listed next to Cornelius's Fantasma, but I'm getting some heavy Cornelius vibes on TNT. Of course less freakish and poppy, but I get the same genre-defying, disjointed feel than on, say, Point. I will definitely be buying this. The music is great, and the fact that I can support one of the local RS while engaging with this club is an added incentive.

Correction: I *have* The Sea and Cake. Still haven’t established whether I like them.

I’m only vaguely aware of Tortoise; pretty sure I’ve heard some here and there, but not enough to have any feelings either way.

edit: I’ll check this out though!

Tortoise is great.

Just like them

I’ve been trying! I got a response from their publicist straight away when I inquired last month but since that time I’ve followed up twice with zero response. Weird times though for sure.

Is Pitch Perfect still handling them? Also, were you trying to get anyone specific to do the AMA? I've also gotten contacts for Parker via the publicist for Nonesuch surrounding his solo release.

EDIT:
I just looked and it seems like Thrill Jockey might be handling their publicity in house now.

Finishing up my first stream of this album, and I love it! Great pick. I've also leaned way heavier into the heavy Godspeed side of post-rock so this is pretty new to me, but I'm really liking the elements at play here.

David Pajo was in the group at this point. Along with SLINT, he was temporarily playing with Stereolab after Emperor Tomato Ketchup.

So i need to stock up on my tortoise, i only have beacons of ancestorship so far

I have Beacons, the self-titled, TNT, and Standards. There's a cover album that they did with Bonnie 'Prince' Billy, which is also great, but a completely different animal altogether.

This is their rendition of Elton John's "Daniel."

Last edited:
Ok, just ordered!

Dear Customer,

Thanks for supporting Thrill Jockey Records! Your order has been received.
If your order does not contain any pre-order items it will ship within 3 business days. You will receive an e-mail notification when your order has shipped.
If you purchased any digital downloads, they are available now over in your Record Crate. Pre-order items will ship by the street date specified. See below for order details.

============================================================
Order Summary
============================================================
thrill 050 Tortoise - TNT Format: 2xLP, Color: Clear w/ Black & White Hi-Melt (1) @ $20.00 = $20.00

@panino or anyone else could you let me know when thrill Jockey starts shipping cheap within the EU again? This has been on my list for a long time , glad @sjaygray picked this one as it's pushing me to finally buy it.
I ordered from Juno and shipping was reasonable.
I contacted the EU shop for ThrillJockey via email and the responsible answered quickly.
but the version available at Junpo is the same version available via ThrillJockey EU, so standard black, 2xLP, gatefold.

Back