N&G Secret Santa

Tracking says my Santee received their package two days ago...I hope that's the case, I'm always a little worried until I get word that it's safe and sound.
i'm nervous this is me and my dogs scared the mailman....

that or my parents are hiding it from me like scumbags

Dear @Jake!,

Thank you so so much for spoiling me this holiday season. I can tell you put a lot of thought and effort into putting this package together and I want you to know that every bit of it is appreciated 💙

Included are four albums I desperately needed in my collection and have no excuse for not getting sooner. Two classic albums from two of my favorite legacy artists and two albums from one of my personal heroes. (And a fun bonus PIF as well!) This is an extremely thoughtful and wonderful present and you absolutely knocked it out of the park. I'm very happy and lucky to have gotten such a caring person as my first Santa!
View attachment 27202
View attachment 27203
I'll see y'all over in What's Spinning ^_^

Thanks again, Santa @Jake! I hope your Christmas is full of cheer and only wonderful things; you deserve it! Sending you and everyone else positive squiggles going into the next decade ~~~~~~

Your forever thankful Santee,
Gap

(P.S. Your haikus are amazing.)

I'm so glad you got it before leaving this weekend!!! I was worried about that. And I'm so glad you enjoyed it, you deserve it all and more! Happy holidays<3

P.S - I was gonna include Laura Stevenson but I wasn't sure if you already owned anything by her or not. So just know that the spirit of Laura is in that box too!

I'm so glad you got it before leaving this weekend!!! I was worried about that. And I'm so glad you enjoyed it, you deserve it all and more! Happy holidays<3

P.S - I was gonna include Laura Stevenson but I wasn't sure if you already owned anything by her or not. So just know that the spirit of Laura is in that box too!
I ended up not having to go out of town after all actually! But I'm still glad it landed before Christmas. I'll try to sit down with the records later tonight and spin them so look out for a mention in the What's Spinning thread ;)

I think the only album of hers I don't own on vinyl is A Record (her first one). But that one seems especially hard to come by so I wouldn't at all expect something that rare to be included.

Thanks again!! I can't wait to dig in tonight ^_^

I ended up not having to go out of town after all actually! But I'm still glad it landed before Christmas. I'll try to sit down with the records later tonight and spin them so look out for a mention in the What's Spinning thread ;)

I think the only album of hers I don't own on vinyl is A Record (her first one). But that one seems especially hard to come by so I wouldn't at all expect something that rare to be included.

Thanks again!! I can't wait to dig in tonight ^_^

Oh perfect!! I'll look out for that, I'm especially curious as to how the Bowie sounds.

I'm glad I didn't include her then because it probably would have been Wheel 😂

whoa. damn @Bennnnn ...this is ridiculous, I love it...thank you so much.

The Olympians - S/T - I definitely have genres and styles that I prefer to spin versus listen to elsewhere. want to talk about nailing my spinning tastes, this album is it. so incredibly in love with it after one go.

The Microphones - The Glow, pt.2 - I've wanted to enjoy Mount Eerie, but felt it was just too sad...too much...to really be enjoyable, so Elverum's first project has been on my radar for a while, but I've never dove in. now I can.

Sharon van Etten - Epic - an artist I've given a few gos on and since nothing immediately grabbed me I let slide by. excited to give a thorough examination via vinyl

View attachment 27218
Yay! I hope you can get into The Microphones and SVE. I feel these are two good entry points. And The Microphones is a bit less of a downer than Mount Eerie, especially the recent stuff.

edit: also that Olympians album is so good I’m glad you like it.

Secret Santa gifts have landed!
Hotter than a peppered sprout
They were mailed from Jackson
Ever since @ModernCyrus sent them out.
6A294834-4C7D-4382-B885-2668A460E7D2.jpeg
714BE9EF-AA67-4AAE-9CFC-963E6EB9B223.jpeg
Dinosaur Jr. - Farm
Hippo Campus - Warm Glow EP

Dinosaur Jr. was on my want list. I had yet to purchase any “modern” Dino Jr records and being as this is my favorite of theirs since Lou Barlow returned to the fold I Am very happy to now have it as part of my collection. I am aware the Hippo Campus exists as a band but outside of that I am completely ignorant to their output so I look forward to exploring this suggestion more. I can’t wait to give these a spin during my upcoming Holiday break.
5DF8FB11-A69A-4AF0-A640-5DFE359F24E4.jpeg
My Secret Santa also included this wonderful poem.

Also, I am impressed by the dedication to get the gift To me before Christmas. Springing for Priority Mail is a boss move.

I am fairly certain based on the return address & SS thread posts that my Secret Santa is @ModernCyrus and I wanna thank you you for the records and wish you and yours a very merry holiday season! Cheers!

Last edited:
@sorcerer did you say I had two packages coming? I got one from Soul Jazz (saving till Christmas day to open!). Not had anything else. No worries if not, thought I saw you post there was and so thought I'd let you know in case anything has gone missing and you can claim a refund.

Sorry to break it to you all, but I've won Secret Santa 2019.

And it's all because of the incredible generosity and personal attention given by @Indymisanthrope.

We've far eclipsed Secret Santa 101. @Indymisanthrope is deep into Advanced Claus And Kringle Theory here.

I continue to be blown away by this community and how many blessings come from it. Wayne and Garth sum it up best...

On to the incredible riches...

The first thing @Indymisanthrope did perfectly - he totally ignored my want list. I attached a link just because it seemed like that's what you're supposed to do when signing up for Secret Santa but I really hoped my Kringle would send me something they had a personal connection with.

Check.

I received three records and a 45 that not only were important to @Indymisanthrope , they were right in my wheelhouse.

Lee Bains III & The Glory Fires - Sweet Disorder 7" You may have heard a rumor that I like these guys.

20191223_031331.jpg

Dead Meadow - Feathers @Indymisanthrope actually remembered I was the first person to comment on a Dead Meadow post he made on the old forum. Really? That's just mind blowing. And what a band. Everyone needs this record.

20191223_031239.jpg

Floating Action - Old World Camels - A great record by Seth Kauffman who resides an hour or so up the mountain from me. Primo.

20191223_031420.jpg

Israel Nash - Lifted - I was totally unaware of Israel. @Indymisanthrope describes him as Neil Young 40 years younger and from Texas. What a great description and what a great choice. I adore this record. Hippie Spiritual - right on.

20191223_031214.jpg

As if that wasn't enough, we're not done. Howsabout something to wet your video whistle?

"Louie Bluie" - A Film By Terry Zwigoff on DVD. This is a documentary by the director of Crumb about Howard Armstrong and the last surviving black string band in America. So perfect. Original artwork by R. Crumb to boot.

Hey - not finished yet. There's a possibility I may need a snack and some top shelf alcohol. Check.

Included were some sweet and spicy pecans and Hotel Tango Bourbon. Hotel Tango is a local Indy distillery with an interesting story. Check them out.

20191223_030500.jpg

Last but certainly not least, a truly special personalized card courtesy of Alternate Histories. We got Christmas on either Jupiter or Uranus - the jury is out.

20191223_031256.jpg

@Indymisanthrope - I am so humbled and appreciative of the thought, care and generosity you put into this gift. Thank you so much. Back to Wayne - I truly am not worthy. I wish you and your family a wonderful holiday.

D

Sorry to break it to you all, but I've won Secret Santa 2019.

And it's all because of the incredible generosity and personal attention given by @Indymisanthrope.

We've far eclipsed Secret Santa 101. @Indymisanthrope is deep into Advanced Claus And Kringle Theory here.

I continue to be blown away by this community and how many blessings come from it. Wayne and Garth sum it up best...

On to the incredible riches...

The first thing @Indymisanthrope did perfectly - he totally ignored my want list. I attached a link just because it seemed like that's what you're supposed to do when signing up for Secret Santa but I really hoped my Kringle would send me something they had a personal connection with.

Check.

I received three records and a 45 that not only were important to @Indymisanthrope , they were right in my wheelhouse.

Lee Bains III & The Glory Fires - Sweet Disorder 7" You may have heard a rumor that I like these guys.

View attachment 27350

Dead Meadow - Feathers @Indymisanthrope actually remembered I was the first person to comment on a Dead Meadow post he made on the old forum. Really? That's just mind blowing. And what a band. Everyone needs this record.

View attachment 27349

Floating Action - Old World Camels - A great record by Seth Kauffman who resides an hour or so up the mountain from me. Primo.

View attachment 27351

Israel Nash - Lifted - I was totally unaware of Israel. @Indymisanthrope describes him as Neil Young 40 years younger and from Texas. What a great description and what a great choice. I adore this record. Hippie Spiritual - right on.

View attachment 27352

As if that wasn't enough, we're not done. Howsabout something to wet your video whistle?

"Louie Bluie" - A Film By Terry Zwigoff on DVD. This is a documentary by the director of Crumb about Howard Armstrong and the last surviving black string band in America. So perfect. Original artwork by R. Crumb to boot.

Hey - not finished yet. There's a possibility I may need a snack and some top shelf alcohol. Check.

Included were some sweet and spicy pecans and Hotel Tango Bourbon. Hotel Tango is a local Indy distillery with an interesting story. Check them out.

View attachment 27353

Last but certainly not least, a truly special personalized card courtesy of Alternate Histories. We got Christmas on either Jupiter or Uranus - the jury is out.

View attachment 27354

@Indymisanthrope - I am so humbled and appreciative of the thought, care and generosity you put into this gift. Thank you so much. Back to Wayne - I truly am not worthy. I wish you and your family a wonderful holiday.

D

Happy it all arrived in working order!
1. I don’t know how I didn’t put together that Floating Action is local to you. I haven’t been able to get enough of his whole thing for several weeks now.
2. If you enjoy the Israel Nash record, I highly recommend checking out his previous albums Silver Season and Rain Plans; much heavier on the Neil Young vibe, but considerably less upbeat for a Christmas gift, too.
3. Full disclosure, it turns out Louie Bluie is also available for free on YouTube:

But it’s hard to mail a link in a box.

People like my Santa and my Santee are the lifeblood of this forum’s good vibes and friendly nature, and it was a pleasure to get to spend the last few weeks as the meat in a @mcherry and @Yer Ol' Uncle D Secret Sant-wich. Merry Christmas to you and yours.

I received my SS package about a week ago, but waited til this morning to open it before getting out of town...

View attachment 27364
Santa CAP (@CAPacelli ) delivering the goods! All of these are right in my wheelhouse....and nice touch with the stickers too!
I really like that JD McPherson album.

Back