N&G Secret Santa

Ok, I was going to wait until tomorrow morning, but it was too hard to resist opening a box of records just sitting here.

Thank you so much @slugr8 !!
I love Amanda Shires and so far only have My Piece of Land, so I'm really happy to have another record of hers in my collection.
And I don't know Whiskey Myers, but after a quick read about them I think it's definitely something I will dig. Thanks for curating something for me, this is why I love doing Secret Santa with this gang so much.

As for the brewery stickers and coasters, it's almost as if you've hung out at my place before. :unsure: :LOL: Spot on.

Merry Christmas and happiest of holiday seasons to you and yours. And thanks so much for the great package.

And Merry Christmas to all of you, this really is the best place on the internet.

Cheers!

20191224_150405.jpg

Ok, I was going to wait until tomorrow morning, but it was too hard to resist opening a box of records just sitting here.

I love Amanda Shires and so far only have My Piece of Land, so I'm really happy to have another record of hers in my collection.
And I don't know Whiskey Myers, but after a quick read about them I think it's definitely something I will dig. Thanks for curating something for me, this is why I love doing Secret Santa with this gang so much.

As for the brewery stickers and coasters, it's almost as if you've hung out at my place before. :unsure: :LOL: Spot on.

Merry Christmas and happiest of holiday seasons to you and yours. And thanks so much for the great package.

And Merry Christmas to all of you, this really is the best place on the internet.

Cheers!

View attachment 27449
Awesome!.....it is mandatory to play Whiskey Myers at full volume.

Cheers!

View attachment 27449

Awesome, if you have a black light handy, shine it on that WM album cover!

My favourite podcast is subtitled "a good deed in a wicked world". And that's what I feel about this place. I find I increasingly want to shut out much of the news from the world and seek solace in friends and music.

My kids opened their stockings just after 6 and I couldn't wait any longer to get stuck into my Secret Santa gifts. And what gifts!

Miles Davis - Live Evil
Freddie Hubbard - Straight Life

20191225_065202.jpg

I've got 42x Miles Davis albums and this was top of my need to get list so I'm super made up for that. And I don't know the Freddie Hubbard at all but with Jack deJohnette, Herbie Hancock, Joe Henderson, Ron Carter, George Benson etc it must be 🔥

Thanks so much, whoever you are Secret Santa. You smashed it! And thanks to all of you here for all the good deeds in our wicked world.

Merry Christmas everyone! 🎄🎅🎁

Last edited:
My wife has only the best intentions and she received my Secret Santa gift, thought it was something I bought for myself, wrapped it up and stuck it under the tree! It’s been here all along! Thanks @AndySlash for the thoughtful gift and note. Both records that I don’t have in my collection and will fit in nicely! Good News for People Who Love Bad News by Modest Mouse and The Hard Way by Steve Earle and The Dukes! Thank you thank you thank you and Merry Christmas!

8C20F415-730C-43C4-8B76-53765C5C1B37.jpeg8C20F415-730C-43C4-8B76-53765C5C1B37.jpeg

So my package for my Santee is at the regional delivery USPS network. It was supposed to be delivered today but I guess that’s not happening. I was extremely worried because I didn’t see ANY movement but “it’s in transit to the destination” until Saturday when it was updated. So hopefully it’s delivered tomorrow or worst case scenario Thursday 🤞🤞🤞
It’s coming tomorrow, stay patient Santee!!

My favourite podcast is subtitled "a good deed in a wicked world". And that's what I feel about this place. I find I increasingly want to shut out much of the news from the world and seek solace in friends and music.

My kids opened their stockings just after 6 and I couldn't wait any longer to get stuck into my Secret Santa gifts. And what gifts!

Miles Davis - Live Evil
Freddie Hubbard - Straight Life

View attachment 27478

I've got 42x Miles Davis albums and this was top of my need to get list so I'm super made up for that. And I don't know the Freddie Hubbard at all but with Jack deJohnette, Herbie Hancock, Joe Henderson, Ron Carter, George Benson etc it must be 🔥

Thanks so much, whoever you are Secret Santa. You smashed it! And thanks to all of you here for all the good deeds in our wicked world.

Merry Christmas everyone! 🎄🎅🎁
Merry Christmas!

I was lucky with how well your discogs collection seems to be kept. First, I was thinking of getting you something African or South American, but quickly realized that most everything I thought of, you already had! Duh! So, I decided to focus on another area of passion in your collection.

I was afraid that the omission of Live-Evil was a mistake considering the size of your Miles collection. Really glad it wasn't! It is an amazing album. One of the only 100+ minute albums that I find captivating all the way through.

If I remember correctly, it seemed you had been branching out into more fusion and Straight Life is one of my favorites. I love Freddie Hubbard on those classic Blue Note albums, but I think his best albums as a bandleader are this one and Red Clay.

I would have tried to give you originals if any were available over there as they are pretty affordable, but I've heard good things about those pressings so I went for it.

Lastly, I want to say that I am very glad for your contributions to the forum and your knowledge of African music. I always enjoy expanding that area of my collection and am glad to be able to see your opinions to help guide me in those directions. Sorry the overseas situation made it difficult to personalize!

Hope you have a wonderful holiday!

Last edited:
Really glad they arrived in one piece. Found that Melanin 9 album a few months ago during one of my music deep dives and it really is a gem.

I’d recommend anyone, regardless of if you listen to jazz or not, to try out that Pyjæn album. I ain’t listened to much jazz but it certainly fits my mood.

And anyone that enjoys rappers like Roc Marciano and others of that ilk should definitely look into Melanin 9. Easily one of the best rappers I’ve found from the UK.

This is the first time I’ve done a secret santa on any site, so I’m happy it went well. With the way the sites been growing, I’m sure next years will be even more fun.

Yes! That pyjaen album is awesome. I thought I'd missed the chance to own it, so getting it for Christmas is a really wonderful surprise.

Not familiar with the other one, but I'm excited to give it a spin as it sounds exactly my sort of thing.

My wife has only the best intentions and she received my Secret Santa gift, thought it was something I bought for myself, wrapped it up and stuck it under the tree! It’s been here all along! Thanks @AndySlash for the thoughtful gift and note. Both records that I don’t have in my collection and will fit in nicely! Good News for People Who Love Bad News by Modest Mouse and The Hard Way by Steve Earle and The Dukes! Thank you thank you thank you and Merry Christmas!

View attachment 27485View attachment 27485

pretty good play by your wife. it only got there a couple days ago - i always send as late as possible so it arrives just before the holiday - so she turned that around pretty quick.

enjoy!

as for my secret santa, i waited until today to open it and voila:

73F8128B-6681-4217-B81B-9CEFABF9C4DF.jpeg

thank you @ranbalam!!

all the way from detroit rock city, it’s a very cool third man records gift pack! digging the laughing hyenas so far, and look forward to spinning the rest. the michael kiwanuka single is *the* song that made me a fan of his, and the video is stellar as well.

thank you very much, @ranbalam! much appreciated!

Merry Christmas!

I was lucky with how well your discogs collection seems to be kept. First, I was thinking of getting you something African or South American, but quickly realized that most everything I thought of, you already had! Duh! So, I decided to focus on another area of passion in your collection.

I was afraid that the omission of Live-Evil was a mistake considering the size of your Miles collection. Really glad it wasn't! It is an amazing album. One of the only 100+ minute albums that I find captivating all the way through.

If I remember correctly, it seemed you had been branching out into more fusion and Straight Life is one of my favorites. I love Freddie Hubbard on those classic Blue Note albums, but I think his best albums as a bandleader are this one and Red Clay.

I would have tried to give you originals if any were available over there as they are pretty affordable, but I've heard good things about those pressings so I went for it.

Lastly, I want to say that I am very glad for your contributions to the forum and your knowledge of African music. I always enjoy expanding that area of my collection and am glad to be able to see your opinions to help guide me in those directions. Sorry the overseas situation made it difficult to personalize!

Hope you have a wonderful holiday!
😍😍

Thanks so much. They were really perfect gifts. I was actually a little worried as my Discogs is complete for African and jazz but v bad on classic rock etc where I've got loads I've yet to enter, but I needn't have fretted. I've been so close to buying Live Evil several times so that was spot on, and I'm super excited to try the Hubbard. I like classic jazz but I find myself more and more drawn to that 1970ish period.

Happy Christmas to you @dhodo! Hope you had a fab day yesterday.

Cheers!

View attachment 27449
Oh I think you'll really like Whiskey Myers. Great picks @slugr8 !!!

as for my secret santa, i waited until today to open it and voila:

View attachment 27539

thank you @ranbalam!!

all the way from detroit rock city, it’s a very cool third man records gift pack! digging the laughing hyenas so far, and look forward to spinning the rest. the michael kiwanuka single is *the* song that made me a fan of his, and the video is stellar as well.

thank you very much, @ranbalam! much appreciated!

Cool, I'm glad you like it all, and I am happy I was able to add to your impressive collection!
Cheers!

SANTA CAME
20191226_113204.jpg
20191226_113250.jpg
Thank you @wokeupnew for these gifts
20191226_113325.jpg

Definitely having the chocolate but will probably give the meat to a family member (I have like one family member from Vermont but she is vegan so someone new to the Vermont taste)
But onto the records
20191226_113429.jpg
Wild Nothing - Nocturne
Looks like something I'd definitely like, dream pop and shoegaze are always a go to in my book
20191226_113503.jpg
Craft spells - Idle Labor
Another very similar band that has a very similar dream pop sound

Funny enough both artists are from the same label (captured tracks).

Thanks for this. I'll definitely enjoy these and I find the plusheen adorable

(Will listen to wild Nothing immediately but not craft spells because it seems I got unlucky with the pressing and it's very dirty.. so I'll wait until tomorrow when I get my inner sleeves and spin clean it

Last edited:
Update: wild nothings is amazing and sounds so lush on vinyl, only problem is it's a United pressing so it looks like there are fingerprints all over. And one of the few times a record actually got locked in place.. I had to hold down on the headshell to make they stop

Otherwise it sounded incredible and @wokeupnew made a great choice

SANTA CAME
View attachment 27558
View attachment 27559
Thank you @wokeupnew for these gifts
View attachment 27560

Definitely having the chocolate but will probably give the meat to a family member (I have like one family member from Vermont but she is vegan so someone new to the Vermont taste)
But onto the records
View attachment 27561
Wild Nothing - Nocturne
Looks like something I'd definitely like, dream pop and shoegaze are always a go to in my book
View attachment 27562
Craft spells - Idle Labor
Another very similar band that has a very similar dream pop sound

Funny enough both artists are from the same label (captured tracks).

Thanks for this. I'll definitely enjoy these and I find the plusheen adorable

(Will listen to wild Nothing immediately but not craft spells because it seems I got unlucky with the pressing and it's very dirty.. so I'll wait until tomorrow when I get my inner sleeves and spin clean it
Update: wild nothings is amazing and sounds so lush on vinyl, only problem is it's a United pressing so it looks like there are fingerprints all over. And one of the few times a record actually got locked in place.. I had to hold down on the headshell to make they stop

Otherwise it sounded incredible and @wokeupnew made a great choice
Sorry to hear about the pressing issues but happy to hear that they got there safely!! Enjoy Dukey!

Back