Jazz

Not too much , Tutu is alright , I like We Want Miles but I don't really listen to any of that 80's stuff anymore , but music is cyclical and a mood so sometime I'll have another listen to that stuff , but at the moment it's basically 1965-75 if I listen to Miles stuff these days, I mean I was buying his stuff when Tutu was released so it got a few plays back in the day, but not much now .
What do you think of the 80s stuff with Marcus Miller?

There are certain things I always enjoy (the usual suspects, plus things I really like that aren't as popular (e.g. Pangaea), but one thing that jumped out at me this time that I really enjoyed was the compilation album Water Babies. Last time through, it just felt like a forgettable step in the transition from Filles to Kilimanjaro to Bitches Brew. This time, when I listened to it for what it is, I discovered a really beautiful album of great Wayne Shorter tunes.

Edit: another one I enjoyed in a new light this time was the soundtrack to Dingo. Miles is reunited with Michel Legrand, and returns to the blues with open trumpet as an elder statesman.
I've been loving Water Babies recently and the 70s fusion stuff - also been digging Directions and Circles in the Round. Kind of amazing how much incredible music he just had lying around.
You mentioned 80s Miles - it's the one era of his I've kind of avoided. Anything you particularly recommend to get into it?

View attachment 19959

I just finished a listen-through of my Miles Davis collection in chronological order, starting in 1946 and finishing with the 1992 Montreux concert. Anyone looking for Miles recommendations? It's all pretty fresh in my head!
This is a crazy coincidence. I too have been listening to miles' discography since the beginning of the year, streaming all of his albums, singles and compilations. I am halfway through the last album and I will be done.

I was also pleasantly surprised by a lot of his 80's era jazz-funk (significantly more than the jazz-hiphop stuff he but out, which to me is just too cringe worthy).

At your request and out of respect for your wallet, I stopped. Today is a new day however, so check this one out. Another 'coming soon' from Jazzman. They released one of their 7"s earlier in the year, here's the album from this Greek Quartet and it sounds pretty tasty from the samples.

View attachment 19890

Sometimes I'm happy that you're in the UK. Shipping is keeping me from pulling the trigger on most of these...

Sometimes I'm happy that you're in the UK. Shipping is keeping me from pulling the trigger on most of these...
Juno is a weird website for me in Norway (in a good way) as it actually ends up being cheaper than if I were in the UK - it knocks VAT off and the shipping here is unbelievably cheap. Sadly, it's a loophole that's going to stop next year in Norway when they're going to charge VAT on all postal imports - haven't quite figured out what I'm going to do then...

Juno is a weird website for me in Norway (in a good way) as it actually ends up being cheaper than if I were in the UK - it knocks VAT off and the shipping here is unbelievably cheap. Sadly, it's a loophole that's going to stop next year in Norway when they're going to charge VAT on all postal imports - haven't quite figured out what I'm going to do then...

The solution is easy: buy all the records you want before the new year.

Damnit I hesitated too long on Makaya McCraven and now it’s sold out 😂. Guess it’ll be Time Out for me this month then. Was saving up my tip money to get it but people have been stingy this month it would appear. I still have it shown as sitting in my Bandcamp cart though. Anyone know if adding an album to your cart on Bandcamp reserves a copy? Same thing happened to me earlier this year with Rozi plains What A Boost. It showed sold out but I still had it in my cart and I was able to check it out and sure enough one showed up at my door. Just a fluke?

I started scrolling through this thread yesterday while on a call and caught wind of the excellence that is Makaya McCraven. I scooped that Deluxe Edition after listening to Butterscotch... Ooooh Weee can’t wait for this one.

All of that to say, might’ve grabbed one of the last copies if it was sold out by last night? Hope you can grab it from your cart, I did that once with a VMP album and it arrived with my next shipment.

I've been loving Water Babies recently and the 70s fusion stuff - also been digging Directions and Circles in the Round. Kind of amazing how much incredible music he just had lying around.
You mentioned 80s Miles - it's the one era of his I've kind of avoided. Anything you particularly recommend to get into it?
The song Circle in the Round is always one of my favorites. Crazy to make such a unique piece of music and just move on like Miles did. The 1980s stuff is definitely a challenge for me. One thing that helps is to try to hear the songs separate from the production style that makes them instantly identifiable as 1980s synth music. Maybe the try Star People or Tutu? We Want Miles is a live record, so that's probably the easiest one for me to enjoy because it's not overly produced.

This is a crazy coincidence. I too have been listening to miles' discography since the beginning of the year, streaming all of his albums, singles and compilations. I am halfway through the last album and I will be done.

I was also pleasantly surprised by a lot of his 80's era jazz-funk (significantly more than the jazz-hiphop stuff he but out, which to me is just too cringe worthy).
So is Doo-Bop the worst one, to your ear?

I started scrolling through this thread yesterday while on a call and caught wind of the excellence that is Makaya McCraven. I scooped that Deluxe Edition after listening to Butterscotch... Ooooh Weee can’t wait for this one.

All of that to say, might’ve grabbed one of the last copies if it was sold out by last night? Hope you can grab it from your cart, I did that once with a VMP album and it arrived with my next shipment.
I feel like when that happens they dip into replacement copies for damaged shipments and send it out.

I would say so, yeah. I'm sure at the time it mixed well, but I find the lyrics to be cheesy. Kind of like if you asked a primary school child to rap.
"And let the trumpet blow as I kick this, 'Cause rap is fundamental and Miles sounds so wicked" :rolleyes:
Hahahaha. The rapping is pretty terrible. I like the backing music. Nice acid jazz feel. There's another part where Easy Mo-Bee says something about Miles being around for a long time to come. Of course, Miles went and died before the album came out. Oops.

Just getting back from Sapporo now after being there this week. Wish I could have been there longer but Typhoon Hagabis affected travel last week and cut my trip by two days so I had a very condensed time to do a bunch of stuff. Had such an amazing time and can highly recommend the city. Absolutely gorgeous in Autumn.

Also, jazz released, I had time to go to one record shop and see a jazz gig. If you’re ever in Sapporo, find your way to Beat Records and you’ll find one of the better curated collections of rare soul, R&B and Jazz. Seriously could have dropped about $500 there. The guy that runs the store, “milk” is his name, is incredibly friendly. I only had a backpack though so only got one record, Tsuyoshi Yamamoto Trio’s Misty, though it’s the reissue from 2015. They also had quite a few Blue Notes and Three Blind Mice records that were just a little too pricey. Also had a first mono pressing of Giant Steps that looked like it was never played :oops:

My wife and I were going to check out a show at Slow Boat (Ryo Fukui’s club he founded) but plans changed so we made our way across town to Bossa Bar and got a drink. The place has over 15,000 jazz records and the owner curates the music by hand. The following night we went to “D-Bar” and saw an absolute ripper of a gig from the Shiro Sasaki Quartet. The club had enough seating for maybe 30 people and it was jammed. Such a cool vibe. They played in the Latin Jazz feel of mid to late 60’s Lee Morgan/Freddie Hubbard. Their take on Bemsha Swing was funky as shit.

I also naturally ate my weight in seafood, ramen and soup curry which was worth the trip alone. I’m terrible about actually remembering to take pictures but here’s a couple pics in and around Sapporo:

Attachments

• D44321D5-0C12-4CD3-8E66-529B32F4DF8B.jpeg
    D44321D5-0C12-4CD3-8E66-529B32F4DF8B.jpeg
    262.2 KB · Views: 0
  • E9407C3C-A14F-4CC2-B53C-9BBB4795F641.jpeg
    E9407C3C-A14F-4CC2-B53C-9BBB4795F641.jpeg
    115.8 KB · Views: 0
  • F18F947F-8083-421B-AD8A-01AE516FFB4B.jpeg
    F18F947F-8083-421B-AD8A-01AE516FFB4B.jpeg
    171.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 79FD748A-F519-4EE1-825E-8562D2F4D596.jpeg
    79FD748A-F519-4EE1-825E-8562D2F4D596.jpeg
    173.2 KB · Views: 1
  • DFAB0013-01A9-4772-ACA2-99732526199A.jpeg
    DFAB0013-01A9-4772-ACA2-99732526199A.jpeg
    124.8 KB · Views: 1
  • 00E23577-031A-46A5-A8E3-1B23924E7DF6.jpeg
    00E23577-031A-46A5-A8E3-1B23924E7DF6.jpeg
    161.5 KB · Views: 2
  • 4B096373-DF24-4D95-9C61-83BE5540AAD9.jpeg
    4B096373-DF24-4D95-9C61-83BE5540AAD9.jpeg
    180.6 KB · Views: 2
  • 35A418A1-AE87-472A-A325-DC002D3D44D8.jpeg
    35A418A1-AE87-472A-A325-DC002D3D44D8.jpeg
    189.7 KB · Views: 2
  • 03F11E58-69B7-4178-A8F7-CAA20055E370.jpeg
    03F11E58-69B7-4178-A8F7-CAA20055E370.jpeg
    61.2 KB · Views: 3
  • 3DE16DED-B97C-407E-B979-12853C1CD460.jpeg
    3DE16DED-B97C-407E-B979-12853C1CD460.jpeg
    222.7 KB · Views: 1
Jesus, I just saw this one too. Sounds heavenly.

Just dropped in to give a recommendation for this album, but I must've known better that Mr Moore is already miles ahead.
Anyways, I love it.

Matthew Halsall - Oneness

96EF1181-02D3-42BF-89FB-F2C68FF11FFA.jpeg
Alright, so it sold out on the page but I had one in my cart from before it sold out. Decided to try my luck and check out the copy in my cart and it looks like the order went through. Now I just have to cross my fingers and hope I don’t get a cancellation/refund email in a couple days 😬

I bought the VMP edition of Eastern Sounds on a whim and absolutely adore it. Any ideas where I should go from here with him or other artists in this wheelhouse ?

If it’s the reeds, flute, horn etc that you’re enjoying, try some Eric Dolphy, a bit challenging at times but ultimately rewarding. If it’s the more experimental side of the playing from lesser known instruments, try some Roland Kirk. If it’s the Eastern influences, try something modern like Wildflower or Nat Birchall’s latest album The Storyteller that is a tribute to Lateef or for something older, try Lloyd McNeill’s stuff like The Banjo Lesson below:

I bought the VMP edition of Eastern Sounds on a whim and absolutely adore it. Any ideas where I should go from here with him or other artists in this wheelhouse ?
@Mr Moore has created a solid list there for sure. If you are looking for more of Yusef Lateef, I would recommend 'Prayer To The East' and 'Jazz For The Thinker'. Both are early on in his career and hes really tapping into those mystical sounds he becomes known for.

I will double up on Mr Moores recommendation of Lloyd Mcneil. Hes great!

Back