Jazz

A modern jazzy crossover album from Jazz Re:freshed

Award-winning bassist Daniel Casimir and vocalist Tess Hirst release their debut album via pioneering London-based record label Jazz re:freshed.

Following the success of Daniel Casimir's critically acclaimed debut EP 'Escapee' which featured Hirst on vocals and fellow rising stars on the scene Moses Boyd, Joe Armon-Jones and Shirley Tetteh, this album 'These Days' is inspired by the duo's London surroundings, as charged observations are delivered via thought-provoking lyricism, neo-soul and modern jazz.

Casimir, a former Birmingham Conservatoire student, has provided his heavyweight upright sound for the likes of Julian Joseph, Jason Rebello, Benet McLean, Lonnie Liston Smith, Nathan Facey, Shane Forbes, Chihiro Yamanaka, Ashley Henry, David Lyttle, Nubya Garcia, The Tracey Quintet (Meantime Jubilation), Tom Harrison (Unfolding In Tempo), Jasmine Power (Stories And Rhymes), Camilla George and Art Blakey Jazz Messenger saxophonist, Jean Toussaint.

Named Young Jazz Musician of the Year by the Musicians' Company in 2016, Casimir has received plaudits for his expansive arrangements and energised recital, while Hirst has made a name for herself with her smooth sleek vocals on the jazz circuit having moved between London, Leeds and LA to hone her craft. What sets Hirst apart as a musician is not only the originality of her music but her perspective of herself as an artist. She is an Ethnomusicology Graduate of SOAS and her writing style walks us through her upbringing in West London and down the halls of academia with force.

Casimir and Hirst fuse traditional jazz sounds into beautiful compositions, narrating their way through a political and cultural landscape across these twelve tracks. The frenzied groove heavy 'Security' addresses the need to trust one another and how we protect ourselves personally, while the slow-burning, rich atmospherics of 'Freedom' combined with Hirst's silky vocals, explore liberation and the rejection of duty - from a female perspective. "The track challenges more insidious forms of misogyny and questions what freedom means to me. Life is to love and not to endure - that is the essence", says Hirst.

At the heart of 'These Days', Casimir plays with a passion and power that resonates throughout each composition. His knack for complex chord changes are highlighted in the unmistakably soulful 'What Did I Do', bringing an energy and enthusiasm to the track while Hirst decries our changing capital. Elsewhere, references to John Agard's poem 'Listen Mr. Oxford Don' in 'The Magic Money Tree', explore the past and its relevance to now while a re-imagining of Charles Mingus' 'Fables Of Faubus' further ensures this theme remains central to the essence of the album.

Interesting (and annoyingly expensive) reissue of this South African jazz album. Anyone who's followed the Jazzman Spiritual Jazz series, on #5 his track Trane Ride was featured and it's real good.

@Mr Moore is on a rampage. Somebody help.

giphy.gif

This needs more attention, so I'm putting this one right here:
Another one from the modern Chicago jazz scene. Quin Kirchner was responsible for one of my favourite releases last year and here he teams up with Daniel van Duerm and Matthew Lux for Volume 1 from KVL (with Jaimie Branch as special guest on one track) and follow-ups promised Volume 1, by KVL

Any group buys for the EU folks?
Shipping for one record is really expensive but adding more copies is silly cheap.
Who's in?

Coming soon...

View attachment 19819

Various Artists - Spiritual Jazz 10: Prestige
Song Of Delilah - Ahmed Abdul-Malik / Dorian - Roy Haynes / Rip A Dip - Latin Jazz Quintet / Modette - Roy Haynes / Death And Taxes - Walt Dickerson / Love Theme From Spartacus - Yusef Lateef / Organ Rounds - Moondog / Summertime - Ahmed Adul-Malik / Warm Canto - Mal Waldron / Peace (Edit) - Idris Muhammad / I've Known Rivers - Gary Bartz
It appears that vol 1 is also getting a repress. Wonder if any others are too?

It appears that vol 1 is also getting a repress. Wonder if any others are too?

I’m surprised it’s taken this long tbh. These well predate the vinyl renaissance coupled with the jazz (and especially Spiritual jazz) trend of the day, it seems mad not to reissue if they still hold or can renegotiate the rights. I’m not a big buyer of comps on record, I tend to stream. But these are superb encyclopaedia for which artists to look out for.

I’m surprised it’s taken this long tbh. These well predate the vinyl renaissance coupled with the jazz (and especially Spiritual jazz) trend of the day, it seems mad not to reissue if they still hold or can renegotiate the rights. I’m not a big buyer of comps on record, I tend to stream. But these are superb encyclopaedia for which artists to look out for.
Yea--must be a rights thing because some have been repressed while others haven't. The only two compilation vinyl sets I buy are Late Night Tales and these Spiritual Jazz comps. Both series are fantastic and get lots of spins from me.

Someone please stop him. I just added 4 new records to my want list, all because of him.

At your request and out of respect for your wallet, I stopped. Today is a new day however, so check this one out. Another 'coming soon' from Jazzman. They released one of their 7"s earlier in the year, here's the album from this Greek Quartet and it sounds pretty tasty from the samples.

CS751419-01A-BIG.jpg

At your request and out of respect for your wallet, I stopped. Today is a new day however, so check this one out. Another 'coming soon' from Jazzman. They released one of their 7"s earlier in the year, here's the album from this Greek Quartet and it sounds pretty tasty from the samples.

View attachment 19890

The cover is reason enough to buy it already. 🤑

I know we have some Henri Texier fans here, is it @ChristoBee?

View attachment 19826

Here's Palm Unit with an album dedicated to the music of Henri.

"The session stands as something of an ecological manifesto, recycling Henri's original compositions with new settings and arrangements, preserving Henri's worldview but adding a dense textural base that pushes the session into more cosmic territory."

Yes, it's from this series : The Music Of Project

All the covers are drawn by Brunö a french comic artist and jazz, soul and blues fanatic, so that was on my radar allready, but I still have to check it out fully.

Currently streaming those Music Of Project now that @Mr Moore made it go up in my work playlist, the Texier tribute one is nice, but not mindblowing either.

On the other hand I'm really digging the Randy Weston tribute record, featuring Manu Dibango :

Edit : and ordered. Don't sleep on this one.

Last edited:
What did you really enjoy this time ? Just curious.

There are certain things I always enjoy (the usual suspects, plus things I really like that aren't as popular (e.g. Pangaea), but one thing that jumped out at me this time that I really enjoyed was the compilation album Water Babies. Last time through, it just felt like a forgettable step in the transition from Filles to Kilimanjaro to Bitches Brew. This time, when I listened to it for what it is, I discovered a really beautiful album of great Wayne Shorter tunes.

Edit: another one I enjoyed in a new light this time was the soundtrack to Dingo. Miles is reunited with Michel Legrand, and returns to the blues with open trumpet as an elder statesman.

Damnit I hesitated too long on Makaya McCraven and now it’s sold out 😂. Guess it’ll be Time Out for me this month then. Was saving up my tip money to get it but people have been stingy this month it would appear. I still have it shown as sitting in my Bandcamp cart though. Anyone know if adding an album to your cart on Bandcamp reserves a copy? Same thing happened to me earlier this year with Rozi plains What A Boost. It showed sold out but I still had it in my cart and I was able to check it out and sure enough one showed up at my door. Just a fluke?

Yeah I’ve been playing Water Babies a bit the last year of so and Pangaea and Agartala are big favourites here, nice 👍
There are certain things I always enjoy (the usual suspects, plus things I really like that aren't as popular (e.g. Pangaea), but one thing that jumped out at me this time that I really enjoyed was the compilation album Water Babies. Last time through, it just felt like a forgettable step in the transition from Filles to Kilimanjaro to Bitches Brew. This time, when I listened to it for what it is, I discovered a really beautiful album of great Wayne Shorter tunes.

Back