Jazz

If it’s the reeds, flute, horn etc that you’re enjoying, try some Eric Dolphy, a bit challenging at times but ultimately rewarding. If it’s the more experimental side of the playing from lesser known instruments, try some Roland Kirk. If it’s the Eastern influences, try something modern like Wildflower or Nat Birchall’s latest album The Storyteller that is a tribute to Lateef or for something older, try Lloyd McNeill’s stuff like The Banjo Lesson below:

Thanks for the recs! It's not really the eastern influences for me, there's a melodiousness about the record and it feels very grounded to me as well. It just clicked really quickly for me. I haven't listened to much Dolphy, so maybe it would be good to explore him.

I gambled on a potentially good deal earlier last week and have just had a notification to say the package has been delivered. Im out tonight but will hopefully have time to open them up.

The British Heart Foundation charity often lists records for sale and I have bought quite a few bits from them before. Without fail the records have been way better than what they graded them (they must have a 'better to be safe' approach) and in one instance I even emailed to make sure they didn't send me the wrong copy as it was it VG+ for sure but they graded it at a G-. On this occasion its 3 Coltrane Impulse records - Africa/Brass, Impressions and John Coltrane featuring Pharoah Sanders Live in Seattle. I paid £10 for each one, listed as fair to good. Now normally I wouldn't have bothered with that grading, but im hoping for another super safe grading from them. I know they dont play them but actually just look at the record itself, so hopefully its just a case of them being dirty and in need of a clean.

Fingers crossed.

New Studio Mule Japanese jazz reissues!

Nina Atsuko - Play Room (Studio Mule 26 LP)
1571668074291.png
japanese singer song writer “nina atsuko”’s debut album is finally reissued. this album is one of the best and one of the most wanted japanese city pop album but quite hard to find out the original vinyl. nina did the cover of her favorite bossa nova,latin,american pops in japanese with the sound of 80’s urban jazz fusion. all tracks fit perfect to the big trendy of japanese city pop revival. don’t sleep even the repress will be gone quickly!

Ryo Kawasaki And The Golden Dragon - Little Tree (Studio Mule 27 LP)
1571668064062.png
japanese legendary jazz guitarist “ryo kawasaki”,some of his famous works are like mellow jazz fusion masterpiece “tarika blue”,dance jazz classic “trinkets&things”,cosmic new wave jazz “lucky lady”….

this album with his band “the golden dragon” is probably the best album for fans of wired jazz,brazilian,barealic music. japanese best digger “chee” picked up this album as his favorite album from japan on RA.

“little tree” is a first album that ryo kawasaki used self made guitar synthesizer.

this album is rich in variety, japanese brazilian jazz fusion classic “looking around you”,experimental guitar ambient “capricho arabe”,cosmic fusion “quasar infection”,barealic jazz masterpiece”you are the sun-light”,club jazz classic “little tree”,folky jazz vocal “jamiko”,a lot of great song on this album.

New Studio Mule Japanese jazz reissues!

Nina Atsuko - Play Room (Studio Mule 26 LP)
View attachment 20344
japanese singer song writer “nina atsuko”’s debut album is finally reissued. this album is one of the best and one of the most wanted japanese city pop album but quite hard to find out the original vinyl. nina did the cover of her favorite bossa nova,latin,american pops in japanese with the sound of 80’s urban jazz fusion. all tracks fit perfect to the big trendy of japanese city pop revival. don’t sleep even the repress will be gone quickly!

Ryo Kawasaki And The Golden Dragon - Little Tree (Studio Mule 27 LP)
View attachment 20343
japanese legendary jazz guitarist “ryo kawasaki”,some of his famous works are like mellow jazz fusion masterpiece “tarika blue”,dance jazz classic “trinkets&things”,cosmic new wave jazz “lucky lady”….

this album with his band “the golden dragon” is probably the best album for fans of wired jazz,brazilian,barealic music. japanese best digger “chee” picked up this album as his favorite album from japan on RA.

“little tree” is a first album that ryo kawasaki used self made guitar synthesizer.

this album is rich in variety, japanese brazilian jazz fusion classic “looking around you”,experimental guitar ambient “capricho arabe”,cosmic fusion “quasar infection”,barealic jazz masterpiece”you are the sun-light”,club jazz classic “little tree”,folky jazz vocal “jamiko”,a lot of great song on this album.
Beat me to it!!

Im going to pass on the Nina Atsuko but will likely pick up the Ryo Kawasaki.

Are you getting both @Skalap?

Thanks to @agutierrezb for the recommendation on the show in Mexico City this past thursday! I ended up checking out the Adrian Terrazas-Gonzalez show and it was awesome! We got to see about an hour of it and then had to take off since we were exhausted, but it was an awesome group of musicians and a cool venue!
Hey I'm so glad you could make it! You got to see some of the best musicians in the local jazz scene, specially Roberto Verástegui (keys), who I think could stand up to the best piano/keyboard players of our time.

Music aside, I hope you're having a good time in Mexico!

Hey I'm so glad you could make it! You got to see some of the best musicians in the local jazz scene, specially Roberto Verástegui (keys), who I think could stand up to the best piano/keyboard players of our time.

Music aside, I hope you're having a good time in Mexico!
Thanks! They were having some sound issues with the keys at first so he was really low in the mix but it got fixed and he was incredible. I loved the drummer as well--they were all great. My gf isn't a huge jazz fan but really liked it too. Mexico City was awesome--will definitely be back some time soon. A lot of eating and drinking was done along with some lucha libre on friday night.

I gambled on a potentially good deal earlier last week and have just had a notification to say the package has been delivered. Im out tonight but will hopefully have time to open them up.

The British Heart Foundation charity often lists records for sale and I have bought quite a few bits from them before. Without fail the records have been way better than what they graded them (they must have a 'better to be safe' approach) and in one instance I even emailed to make sure they didn't send me the wrong copy as it was it VG+ for sure but they graded it at a G-. On this occasion its 3 Coltrane Impulse records - Africa/Brass, Impressions and John Coltrane featuring Pharoah Sanders Live in Seattle. I paid £10 for each one, listed as fair to good. Now normally I wouldn't have bothered with that grading, but im hoping for another super safe grading from them. I know they dont play them but actually just look at the record itself, so hopefully its just a case of them being dirty and in need of a clean.

Fingers crossed.
So I opened up the records from the charity. They were really dirty, as in pure grime. But underneath all that are a set of really decent records. I havent played them yet but I cant see any deep scratches and just a couple surface marks. The sleeves cleaned up a lot nicer than they were as well, but theres still plently of wear on them. Im more interested in the records themselves so as long as they play well im happy.

The John Coltrane Featuring Pharoah Sanders - Live In Seattle is a first pressing, the Africa/Brass and Impressions are early represses. For a tenner each im happy with them.....as long as they play as well as they look.

IMG_8673.jpg

Well, where to start. Tonight I went to what I think is the best gig of the year (and I have been to quite a few this year!) at the Hidden Jazz Club Waterloo. It started out in London but now has events in Tokyo, Paris, New York, LA.....

Set up by pianist Theo Jackson, the event is always intimate with less than 100 people per event and always in a unique location - this one being in the vault below a disused railway line in waterloo station. The musicians aren't announced, so its always a surprise to see who the guest is. Tonight it was the legendary Binker Golding, and he was AMAZING! They played for over 2 hours and inbetween songs they would chat to the crowd, even popping to the bar during the interval to chat. Just amazing.

IMG_8658.JPGIMG_1800.jpg
IMG_3517.JPG

Well, where to start. Tonight I went to what I think is the best gig of the year (and I have been to quite a few this year!) at the Hidden Jazz Club Waterloo. It started out in London but now has events in Tokyo, Paris, New York, LA.....

Set up by pianist Theo Jackson, the event is always intimate with less than 100 people per event and always in a unique location - this one being in the vault below a disused railway line in waterloo station. The musicians aren't announced, so its always a surprise to see who the guest is. Tonight it was the legendary Binker Golding, and he was AMAZING! They played for over 2 hours and inbetween songs they would chat to the crowd, even popping to the bar during the interval to chat. Just amazing.

View attachment 20372View attachment 20374
View attachment 20375

That is a cool little space to see a concert

There are certain things I always enjoy (the usual suspects, plus things I really like that aren't as popular (e.g. Pangaea), but one thing that jumped out at me this time that I really enjoyed was the compilation album Water Babies. Last time through, it just felt like a forgettable step in the transition from Filles to Kilimanjaro to Bitches Brew. This time, when I listened to it for what it is, I discovered a really beautiful album of great Wayne Shorter tunes.

Edit: another one I enjoyed in a new light this time was the soundtrack to Dingo. Miles is reunited with Michel Legrand, and returns to the blues with open trumpet as an elder statesman.

I loved that Waterbabies disc when I discovered it. I think it was Sweet Pee that I fell in love with.

Amandala and We Want Miles are two 80’s highlights. I liked Aura also.

That is a cool little space to see a concert
It was just fantastic and totally unexpected. The side road you turn down to get to it is full of bins and electrical plant ect. Feels like you've walked into a scrap yard. At the end theres a big metal fence with a gate in with a courtyard behind and hidden away in there is this amazing little venue. At the top of the venue is a first floor lounge area with a small bar as well. Just superb.

Last edited:
It was just fantastic and totally unexpected. The side road you turn down to get to it is full of bins and electrical plant ect. Feels like you've walked into a scrap yard. At the end theres a big metal fence with a gate in with a courtyard behind and hidden away in there is this amazing little venue. At the top of the venue is a first floor lounge area with a small bar as well. Just superb.

Just as I would expect A we are hear for the art not the scene type of place. I wish there was more of an audience for this type of place in my suburb outside of LA. But have to drive into LA to see anything decent. It’s a shame because there is a pretty reputable music school out here.

I loved that Waterbabies disc when I discovered it. I think it was Sweet Pee that I fell in love with.

Amandala and We Want Miles are two 80’s highlights. I liked Aura also.

I also really like We Want Miles. It's fun to hear all of the places Jean Pierre pops up in Miles's playing on earlier records. It's in Petits Machins on Filles de Kilimanjaro, as well as on All Blues from his My Funny Valentine/Four and More concert.

I also really like We Want Miles. It's fun to hear all of the places Jean Pierre pops up in Miles's playing on earlier records. It's in Petits Machins on Filles de Kilimanjaro, as well as on All Blues from his My Funny Valentine/Four and More concert.

I was going to say Scofield's playing is good on that album, but then I checked it and it's Mike Stern. Did he do much beyond this Miles period. I'm sure he continued to be a pro musician, but anything significant.

Edit: playing Star People now.

Back