Jazz

Yoooooo!!! So a couple of months ago I shared with you a local jazz band called "Bahía de ascenso" I had discovered in a Mexico City Jazz club. I told you I was astounded at the talent this guys have, and the fact that such amazing musicians remained "hidden" in the local scene of a city and country not particularly known for jazz.

Today, they announced they signed to Ropeadope, and they will be releasing their debut album in November!!! Im really excited about this local mosucians getting the exposure they deserve on such a cool label.

I will keep you posted if there are more news/preview tracks, or if they confirm a vinyl release is coming. In the meantime, enjoy this live performance of them.

Yoooooo!!! So a couple of months ago I shared with you a local jazz band called "Bahía de ascenso" I had discovered in a Mexico City Jazz club. I told you I was astounded at the talent this guys have, and the fact that such amazing musicians remained "hidden" in the local scene of a city and country not particularly known for jazz.

Today, they announced they signed to Ropeadope, and they will be releasing their debut album in November!!! Im really excited about this local mosucians getting the exposure they deserve on such a cool label.

I will keep you posted if there are more news/preview tracks, or if they confirm a vinyl release is coming. In the meantime, enjoy this live performance of them.

Dope! I'm going to Mexico City this week. I'll check to see if they happen to be playing live anywhere.

Dope! I'm going to Mexico City this week. I'll check to see if they happen to be playing live anywhere.
Hey, if you're in Mexico City this Thursday you should check this gig out:

Two-time Grammy award winner saxophonist Adrián Terrazas will play backed by the drummer and keyboard player of Bahía de Ascenso (the band signed to Ropeadope I shared yesterday). I've seen this lineup live and they're amazing. Plus, the gig will be in Polanco, which is one of the nicest neighborhoods in town.

Coming soon...

67069-1_jpg.png

Various Artists - Spiritual Jazz 10: Prestige
Song Of Delilah - Ahmed Abdul-Malik / Dorian - Roy Haynes / Rip A Dip - Latin Jazz Quintet / Modette - Roy Haynes / Death And Taxes - Walt Dickerson / Love Theme From Spartacus - Yusef Lateef / Organ Rounds - Moondog / Summertime - Ahmed Adul-Malik / Warm Canto - Mal Waldron / Peace (Edit) - Idris Muhammad / I've Known Rivers - Gary Bartz

More Pure Please goodness coming soon:

pprlp791_m.jpg

Pure Pleasure - 180 Gram Virgin Vinyl - AAA 100% Analogue
Pure Analogue Audiophile Mastering by Kevin Gray
Limited Edition - Pressed at Pallas Germany

Remastered By Kevin Gray!
Linda Hill recorded this LP for Nimbus West in 1981 with fellow Arkestra members, including flautist Adele Sebastian. And it's Sebastian's vocal duet with Hill on the spiritual jazz epic "Leland's Song" that opens this stunning LP. Hill's ensemble also included the serious horn player Sabir Matteen, as well as bassist Roberto Miranda and drummer Everett Brown Jr., who would all go on to record LPs for Nimbus.

The Arkestra first started rehearsing at pianist Linda Hill's house in the early '60s. "In a few months, we'd built up from seven or eight to about 18 cats, musicians started living there," Tapscott wrote in his autobiography. "People got involved with the Arkestra like it was their life's work." Hill took the role seriously, earning her the name of "the Ark's matriarch" by Tapscott.

Recorded & mixed by Dennis Moody in 1981

Musicians
Linda Hill vocals, piano
Roberto Miranda bass
Everett Brown Jr drums
Aubrey Hart flute
Adele Sebastian flute, vocals
Fundi Legohn French horn
Virjilio Figueroa percussion
Sabir Matteen* Tenor Saxophone, Clarinet
Jugegr Juan Grey vocals

pprlp802_m.jpg

Challenging and comforting music all at once comes from Gary Bias' flute and saxophone performances.

"A beautiful, dreamlike expression of spiritual jazz recorded at a time when the idiom was completely out of vogue, Gary Bias' East 101 remains little known even by cult-classic standards, but its free-flowing approach demands attention from listeners who believe this kind of LP ceased to exist somewhere around the late 1970s. Recorded with a stellar supporting cast including vibist Rickey Kelly, bassist Roberto Miranda, and pianist David Tillman, Bias unspools a suite of deeply soulful and profoundly far-reaching original compositions that vividly evoke the blue skies of the record's Los Angeles origins. His flute and soprano saxophone somehow divine gravitas from weightlessness, creating music that challenges as much as it comforts." -

Musicians
Gary Bias alto & soprano saxophones, flute
Rickey Kelly vibes
David "Eric" Tillman piano
Roberto Miranda bass, arco
John Heard bass, pizz
Fritz Wise drums
Rickey Minor electric bass on Asiki

Last edited:
Hey, if you're in Mexico City this Thursday you should check this gig out:

Two-time Grammy award winner saxophonist Adrián Terrazas will play backed by the drummer and keyboard player of Bahía de Ascenso (the band signed to Ropeadope I shared yesterday). I've seen this lineup live and they're amazing. Plus, the gig will be in Polanco, which is one of the nicest neighborhoods in town.

Thanks! I'll take a look into it. Getting in Thursday night so might not make that one but appreciate the heads up!

More Pure Please goodness coming soon:

View attachment 19821

Linda Hill recorded this LP for Nimbus West in 1981 with fellow Arkestra members, including flautist Adele Sebastian. And it's Sebastian's vocal duet with Hill on the spiritual jazz epic "Leland's Song" that opens this stunning LP. Hill's ensemble also included the serious horn player Sabir Matteen, as well as bassist Roberto Miranda and drummer Everett Brown Jr., who would all go on to record LPs for Nimbus.

The Arkestra first started rehearsing at pianist Linda Hill's house in the early '60s. "In a few months, we'd built up from seven or eight to about 18 cats, musicians started living there," Tapscott wrote in his autobiography. "People got involved with the Arkestra like it was their life's work." Hill took the role seriously, earning her the name of "the Ark's matriarch" by Tapscott.

Recorded & mixed by Dennis Moody in 1981

Musicians
Linda Hill vocals, piano
Roberto Miranda bass
Everett Brown Jr drums
Aubrey Hart flute
Adele Sebastian flute, vocals
Fundi Legohn French horn
Virjilio Figueroa percussion
Sabir Matteen* Tenor Saxophone, Clarinet
Jugegr Juan Grey vocals

View attachment 19822

Challenging and comforting music all at once comes from Gary Bias' flute and saxophone performances.

"A beautiful, dreamlike expression of spiritual jazz recorded at a time when the idiom was completely out of vogue, Gary Bias' East 101 remains little known even by cult-classic standards, but its free-flowing approach demands attention from listeners who believe this kind of LP ceased to exist somewhere around the late 1970s. Recorded with a stellar supporting cast including vibist Rickey Kelly, bassist Roberto Miranda, and pianist David Tillman, Bias unspools a suite of deeply soulful and profoundly far-reaching original compositions that vividly evoke the blue skies of the record's Los Angeles origins. His flute and soprano saxophone somehow divine gravitas from weightlessness, creating music that challenges as much as it comforts." -

Musicians
Gary Bias alto & soprano saxophones, flute
Rickey Kelly vibes
David "Eric" Tillman piano
Roberto Miranda bass, arco
John Heard bass, pizz
Fritz Wise drums
Rickey Minor electric bass on Asiki

I will have to order these Nimbus West reissues

Me too. I don't know if they've used Kevin Grey to remaster before, I'm sure it's usually Ray Staff at Air in London. Maybe the tapes weren't allowed to travel overseas for these.

Honestly I am a bit lost with all these Strata, Tribe and Nimbus West reissues. In the last years Pure Pleasure, Superfly Records, Outernational Sounds, Strut, Everland, P-Vine and probably others I don't remember, they all have reissued records from these labels, sometimes remastered, sometimes not, sometimes limited, sometimes not, sometimes on 180g vinyl, sometimes not, sometimes only for Japan, sometimes worldwide.

I know we have some Henri Texier fans here, is it @ChristoBee?

palmunit~~~_dontbuyiv_101b.jpg

Here's Palm Unit with an album dedicated to the music of Henri.

"The session stands as something of an ecological manifesto, recycling Henri's original compositions with new settings and arrangements, preserving Henri's worldview but adding a dense textural base that pushes the session into more cosmic territory."

And one of my recent faves, Ken Vandermark's Made to Break with a new one.

Back