Jazz

I don’t think I’ve seen any mention of this album/artist yet, but I may have just missed it. Anyways this new album by Matana Roberts is incredible and I think others here would def enjoy it.

I’ve been listening too and really like it also. Gonna put all four parts on my Christmas list.

He has got quite few solo albums out and played with various groups/recordings including Chick Corea, he fell and fractured both his arms in 2016 and had significant nerve damage in his right hand, couldn't even hold a pick , did a lot of rehab and recorded an album Trip in 2017 . I don't have any of them but had a couple back in the 80's , but I don't listen to that sort of music anymore . Sure you can have a listen to stuff on your streaming vehicle of choice/youtube .
I was going to say Scofield's playing is good on that album, but then I checked it and it's Mike Stern. Did he do much beyond this Miles period. I'm sure he continued to be a pro musician, but anything significant.

Edit: playing Star People now.

Nardeydey, by Nardeydey

Debut EP from Nardeydey released on 29th November, 2019. Nardeydey is the solo act by Shirley Tetteh (of SEED Ensemble, Nerija, Maisha).

As a warning, the EP is short - just 3 songs clocking in at around 3mins each. I was initially excited for it, but after listening to the tracks im personally going to pass, theres a lot of vocals and less of a jazz vibe on this one.

It says its limited to 300 copies but just so you dont FOMO into getting it, Rough Trade has them as well as an exclusive.

Makaya McCraven - In The Moment (Deluxe Edition)

This has been shared a lot lately but looks like its making its way into general record shops now. Sounds Of The Universe has it at £27.99 which is a pretty great price for a 3lp set IMO.

Just ordered an exclusive version from HHV for £26, along with some of the Don Rendell/Ian Car re-issues that are on sale there

They also have one of the blue note spiritual jazz alums for less than £16, but I've already overspent massively this week.

Great picks there! I ended up going for the smoky bronze one. I massively overpaid for it but sold a load of records the day before it was announced so I had a bit of cash to spare luckily.

Not to tempt you further, but that Blue Note Spiritual Jazz is really good, if you like comps of course. They have a nice and varied mix of musicians on there and the gatefold has each track broken down with a photo of the album its from and a mini-essay (same as the others in the Spiritual Jazz series if you are familiar with them).

I’ll
Great picks there! I ended up going for the smoky bronze one. I massively overpaid for it but sold a load of records the day before it was announced so I had a bit of cash to spare luckily.

Not to tempt you further, but that Blue Note Spiritual Jazz is really good, if you like comps of course. They have a nice and varied mix of musicians on there and the gatefold has each track broken down with a photo of the album its from and a mini-essay (same as the others in the Spiritual Jazz series if you are familiar with them).

I’m sure I’ll get it before long. Just need to take a breath. I haven’t been able to listen to all the records Ive bought. I really want to catch up on the recent BN80’s as well.

I’m sure I’ll get it before long. Just need to take a breath. I haven’t been able to listen to all the records Ive bought. I really want to catch up on the recent BN80’s as well.

What I need to do is sort through my collection and start selling the ones I don’t want to play for more that I do.

Last edited:
Back