Jazz

Ebi Soda are fantastic. I'm also bummed to have missed their first ep. I have to say though, this new release is not an EP. What is it with bands calling things with 10 tracks EPs??? It's definitely an album. An EP is surely a maximum of 6 songs.
Forward this question to Mars Volta...

I'm not sure this is as exciting as the previous pre-order being posted here, but stumbled upon this new release on bandcamp, I still have to listen to whole album, but what I've listened to made me buy the record.

limited to 300, also 5 test pressing available if that's you're thing.

Edit : the whole label is awesome, I already have the tribute to Randy Weston and it slaps.

New Ebi Soda:
Literally came here to post this just now:). Enjoyed everything these guys have released and still regret missing out on the Bedroom Tapes press! This is sounding great as I'm playing through it.
Ebi Soda are fantastic. I'm also bummed to have missed their first ep. I have to say though, this new release is not an EP. What is it with bands calling things with 10 tracks EPs??? It's definitely an album. An EP is surely a maximum of 6 songs.

Listening now and think this is amazing. Loved their EPs but thought I should draw the line with vinyl at full length albums..anyway I do regret it now. Picking this one up for sure and I've emailed them to find out if they plan to repress the other two EPs anytime soon. I'll let you know their response.

View attachment 48367
looks like I just inherited this pretty cool picture my father in law had in storage.

My mother in law donated all of his Jazz records to the library though decade ago.
Brilliant! I actually just watched a documentary a couple days ago about this famous day and photo. Its on Youtube, heres the link:

Buy 2 get 1 50% off. Might be of interest to some of y’all.

Literally came here to post this just now:). Enjoyed everything these guys have released and still regret missing out on the Bedroom Tapes press! This is sounding great as I'm playing through it.
I might grab this one. I have the self-titled and didn’t realize it’s going for a pretty penny now...

what are the other albums like? I’ve been really tempted by both, but have been catching up on the blue note TPs
I think they are great, comparable to the Resonance Series in my opinion. Really great recordings, great sound quality (especially for live recordings), and a really comprehensive booklet. Im a big fan of the booklets (I love reading about the history around a recording or artist).

It's been a while since I've read or studied any music theory (I took classes/lessons in HS and taught myself a good deal in my early 20's).

Anyway, I've decided to read George Russell's Lydian Chromatic Concept of Tonal Organization, a foundational text in modal jazz.

My knowledge of classical modes is pretty strong to begin with so I feel comfortable there. I'm also excited to see if some of my suppositions regarding the theory and its centering on the Lydian mode are correct - i.e. knowing what I know about the mode, its "color", and its position and why I think there is a theory built around it (I'm sure there will be many things that surprise me and many more areas where I was wrong).

I already know the musical notation in the book is going to slow me down. I can read music, but not sight read it; so it will be slow going like if I tried to type with only my index fingers.

Anyone have any background in this theory (I know this is maybe a weird one - not an album or artist; but books didn't seem right either)

@seeirwin this seems like a question you’d be able to answer.

More of just a PSA as I don't know if it's a super deal, but Amazon has the Coltrane '58 Craft box at $186. I've been buying a lot of records while possibly a little drunk -- though I still haven't seen anything from those massive LiTA purchases -- and I don't know if given that this is ripped from 192 and is on Qobuz (where it sounds awesome by the way) it is totally necessary -- but it arrived today and the box, package, etc is really, really beautiful and it's seems nice as heck.... So there you have it :)

Listening now and think this is amazing. Loved their EPs but thought I should draw the line with vinyl at full length albums..anyway I do regret it now. Picking this one up for sure and I've emailed them to find out if they plan to repress the other two EPs anytime soon. I'll let you know their response.

They replied - no plans to repress but they said they will look into demand and assess accordingly - I sent them some links to their discogs pages and pointed them to statistics for "want". Hope it happens.

Back