Jazz

Hot

Ambrose Akinmusire - on the tender spot of every calloused moment

Edit: What @MikeH said. :)

I've mentioned a few times before that im a sucker for jazz-related films/documentaries/books - I just finished watching most of the documentary recommendations from you guys by the way - Ken Burns Jazz (absolutely fantastic!), the Thelonious Monk documentary, A Great Day In Harlem, so big thanks for those!

I have just about finished reading another jazz book, this time focusing on Grant Green. The book was written in the 90's by Grant's daughter-in-law, who wasn't aware that her husband's dad (Grant was long passed away by this point) was a musician. The book is as much of a discovery for his children as it is anything else and builds upon anecdotes from them plus loads of interviews with Idris Muhammed, George Benson, Alfred Lion's wife, etc. It's really great and even more interesting as it was written at a time when Grant Green was not as popular as he is today, as Blue Note had not yet begun to properly reissue his back-catalogue. In fact, the author mentions at the beginning the difficulties she had in researching her father-in-law as no shops stocked his albums, no jazz books included him, no 'best of's' included his music, etc. Well worth reading if this kind of stuff interests you, I bought this copy on ebay for £2.87 a few weeks ago, so its certainly affordable!

IMG_7173.jpg

Cross post from Pre-Orders - this is 🔥

Highly recommended

Keleketla! - Keleketla!

RT Exclusive:

Repress on red vinyl:

Surprise Chef ‎– All News Is Good News

Highly recommended

Keleketla! - Keleketla!

RT Exclusive:
The musicians featured on this is crazy. It's like N&G's jazz lineup wet dream haha.

Highly recommended

Keleketla! - Keleketla!

RT Exclusive:

What a team!

I haven't listened to the podcast in a few years but VinylGuide is interviewing Ron Carter on his next episode. I like the fact his interviews are fairly lengthy and lets the interviewee take where they want.

I haven't listened to the podcast in a few years but VinylGuide is interviewing Ron Carter on his next episode. I like the fact his interviews are fairly lengthy and lets the interviewee take where they want.

I’ll check this episode out but I’ve tried many times to get into this podcast and I just can’t take the host, Nate Goyer. I don’t know if it’s his voice, or the kind of questions he asks, or what.

I dip in and out of the Vinyl Guide when its a topic/interviewee that piques my interest. For the first 100 episodes I actually listened to each one and they tend to be really interesting, even if it's not a topic that necessarily appeals to you. I remember the Michael Cuscuna one being especially good.

Ebi Soda are fantastic. I'm also bummed to have missed their first ep. I have to say though, this new release is not an EP. What is it with bands calling things with 10 tracks EPs??? It's definitely an album. An EP is surely a maximum of 6 songs.

Ebi Soda are fantastic. I'm also bummed to have missed their first ep. I have to say though, this new release is not an EP. What is it with bands calling things with 10 tracks EPs??? It's definitely an album. An EP is surely a maximum of 6 songs.
With you on that one. Definitely an album at a run of 10 tracks. I think the term EP takes the pressure off a little and gives artists/ bands a bit of freedom to throw out a 'collection of songs' without them being judged as an album release. Who knows?

I’ll check this episode out but I’ve tried many times to get into this podcast and I just can’t take the host, Nate Goyer. I don’t know if it’s his voice, or the kind of questions he asks, or what.
Haha, I agree. I have a problem with his AM radio voice. When he is interviewing someone he is really interested in, especially punk rockers like Henry Rollins, you can hear the excitement in his voice. But other times it can be rather rote.

Back