Jazz

Question...
The guy that runs my local was recommending stuff to people on insta the other day. Some one asked about jazz that was out there and he recommended the new Shabaka and the Ancestors... is that really out there? What is out there for you guys? Cause my mind heads to Ornette Coleman or Eric Dolphy or Sun Ra or Art Ensemble.... I love Shabaka but I wouldn’t call it out there... although I guess that’s all relative.

Question...
The guy that runs my local was recommending stuff to people on insta the other day. Some one asked about jazz that was out there and he recommended the new Shabaka and the Ancestors... is that really out there? What is out there for you guys? Cause my mind heads to Ornette Coleman or Eric Dolphy or Sun Ra or Art Ensemble.... I love Shabaka but I wouldn’t call it out there... although I guess that’s all relative.

I would say that Shabaka's music is not that traditional and scholar jazz that most of the people who is not into jazz would call jazz. I wouldn't call it "out there" jazz though.

Question...
Compared to what most people think of jazz, I think Shabaka is “out there”. But not Sun Ra out there.

I would say that Shabaka's music is not that traditional and scholar jazz that most of the people who is not into jazz would call jazz. I wouldn't call it "out there" jazz though.
I don’t know man. It seems pretty scholarly to me, the actual bass, sax, and the drum kit are pretty bop/post bop groovy. Then you have this cacophony of more tribal sounds. It makes me think of what Bela Fleck does (the whole make Jazz through “un-Jazz” like instruments) and it’s very heady. Accessible, but heady.

Question...
I guess it would depend on how into jazz you are in the first place. If this person was relatively new to it then I think Shabaka might come across as being more 'out there' than the norm. I would say that Shabaka and the Ancestors are perhaps less out there than some of his other music, but he certainly is interested in free jazz and it does come across at times. I have seen his post several books on his Instagram stories that focus on free-jazz. In fact, I recently found out that he shops in a store which is one I used to frequent (prior to the lockdown) which sells a lot of free jazz books and I sent him a message to say that the Ornette Coleman book which I bought there is great (whether he read my message is anyone's guess :ROFLMAO: )

I don’t know man. It seems pretty scholarly to me, the actual bass, sax, and the drum kit are pretty bop/post bop groovy. Then you have this cacophony of more tribal sounds. It makes me think of what Bela Fleck does (the whole make Jazz through “un-Jazz” like instruments) and it’s very heady. Accessible, but heady.
I think the casual jazz listener thinks of stuff more like Chet Baker, Bill Evans, etc. and jazz standards as “Jazz”. Something like Shabaka, which has elements of free jazz or is less laid back can be seen as “out there” to the casual listener. Even just at around the 6 minute mark of the first track of “We Are Sent Here By History”, it revolves into some squealing horns and the drums go crazy while he screams the lyrics. It’s very different than what I associated with jazz a few years ago before I got more into the genre.

For you who listen to a lot of different music, yes. You have built your musical culture and turned not so accessible music into something easily accessible or at least accessible. Back to your question, I would also say that it depends on who he was responding to. If someone comes with, let's say, vocal jazz as reference of jazz, your local did quite well naming Shabaka as something out there. At least it's a good step for someone who comes from Diana Krall, Chet Baker or Gregory Porter and wants to get into Free Jazz.

Any idea how this compares to the Acoustic Sounds version?

It looks to me that the ebay listing is the RSD box set instead of the 1LP.

I believe that is the one on ebay. I have the box set (I think I paid $55 new from PlaidRoom when it first came out and the vinyl sounds amazing. If you have the 1LP from AS already, I'd say no need to double-dip but I do really like the box set.) Sam Records is one of my favorite reissue labels and the LP sounds great to me.

It looks to me that the ebay listing is the RSD box set instead of the 1LP.

I believe that is the one on ebay. I have the box set (I think I paid $55 new from PlaidRoom when it first came out and the vinyl sounds amazing. If you have the 1LP from AS already, I'd say no need to double-dip but I do really like the box set.) Sam Records is one of my favorite reissue labels and the LP sounds great to me.

Okay thanks. Wasn't sure because the ebay offering lists it as RSD and Discogs has a separate listing for a pressing "exclusive for Acoustic Sounds." (And if that's the case, I guess I've answered my own question--the RSD version is 2 LP, the other is 1.)

Okay thanks. Wasn't sure because the ebay offering lists it as RSD and Discogs has a separate listing for a pressing "exclusive for Acoustic Sounds." (And if that's the case, I guess I've answered my own question--the RSD version is 2 LP, the other is 1.)
Yea--RSD one is 2 LP and the Acoustic Sounds one is just 1. RSD one comes in a box with the LP and I believe a printed booklet inside. Pic of the back of the ebay listing is the 2LP.

For you who listen to a lot of different music, yes. You have built your musical culture and turned not so accessible music into something easily accessible or at least accessible. Back to your question, I would also say that it depends on who he was responding to. If someone comes with, let's say, vocal jazz as reference of jazz, your local did quite well naming Shabaka as something out there. At least it's a good step for someone who comes from Diana Krall, Chet Baker or Gregory Porter and wants to get into Free Jazz.

I hear Elvis is encouraging Krall to do a free jazz album. Its gonna be 🔥

Kaidi Tatham first album has been reissued this month. Originally released in 2008, 2xLP copies are very expensive nowadays (2 copies available on Discogs, starting at £150). @Selaws you'll want to grab a copy.

Yea--RSD one is 2 LP and the Acoustic Sounds one is just 1. RSD one comes in a box with the LP and I believe a printed booklet inside. Pic of the back of the ebay listing is the 2LP.
I actually came here to say that I just ordered this from Juno Records in the UK for $50 shipped...they seem to still have several of the RSD box sets for MSRP ($40) and $10 shipping. It came today and needless to say, I was pretty jazzed.

Monk - Les Liaisons RSD 2017

Last edited:
I actually came here to say that I just ordered this from Juno Records in the UK for $50 shipped...they seem to still have several of the RSD box sets for MSRP ($40) and $10 shipping. It came today and needless to say, I was pretty jazzed.

https://www.juno.co.uk/products/thelonious-monk-les-liaisons-dangereuses-1960-soundtrack/654101-01/
Nice! I love that box set. One of the better sounding records I own I think. I need to spin it again soon now that I just got a new cartridge. The ebay box ended up selling for a pretty penny (seems like it got bid up at the end there...but was only $20 or so at the time of posting).

Nice! I love that box set. One of the better sounding records I own I think. I need to spin it again soon now that I just got a new cartridge. The ebay box ended up selling for a pretty penny (seems like it got bid up at the end there...but was only $20 or so at the time of posting).
Yup, I was actually watching that one on eBay seeing how it would turn out. Was happy I went with Juno haha

Back