It Could Get A Bit Messi In Here - The Football Thread.

The Liverpool plan seems to be to keep some of the young guys that we normally loan out next season which I'm all for. I know Klopp is high on Rhian Brewster who will be used more. He's also high on Harvey Elliott. They just had Neco Williams start against Brighton though he started to struggle as the match went on. Keita is stepping up which could solve a lot of midfield issues. Minamino will keep getting spells. There's still rumors about Thiago from Bayern though it seems a weird purchase given his age. The upside is we don't seem to have any defections upcoming minus possibly Gini Wijnaldum. The losses all seem depth related but it's mostly guys who can't stay healthy or haven't done much this season like Lallana and Shaqiri. I have faith that Michael Edwards will find some good budget purchases that can fill in. The extra substitutions in the remaining matches are really beneficial for checking our depth.

Brewster, Williams, Elliott and Jones look like potentially good players that need to get more exposure next year for sure. They’ll have more impact next year you’d imagine. The key to staying on top isn’t to say “our guys are great” or to buy 2 or 3 bargains, it’s to go out and make a statement signing that makes the rest of them go “bloody hell I’d better step it up again to keep him out of the team!”

You're probably right but I trust Michael Edwards and Klopp. We didn't buy much last season except for Minamino and it worked out. FSG will probably take a conservative approach because their pockets aren't as deep. I could see them making a splash but when they passed on Werner, it seemed they were going to take things slowly this transfer window.

You're probably right but I trust Michael Edwards and Klopp. We didn't buy much last season except for Minamino and it worked out. FSG will probably take a conservative approach because their pockets aren't as deep. I could see them making a splash but when they passed on Werner, it seemed they were going to take things slowly this transfer window.

You weren’t top dogs last year. Winning a cup competition, even the biggest one, isn’t the same. The target is on your backs. From a position of strength you have to strengthen for two reasons, one to blow complacency out of the squad and two to break the spirit of the challengers. Unless you have a significant weakness or a top player that might be at the crest, or just over it, it’s more beneficial to make one statement signing than a few squad players.

I'M HYPED

One of Leipzig/Atalanta/Atletico/PSG are going to make the final. Reminds me of the stacked one side of the bracket that was in the 2018 World Cup.

Leipzig = Sweden
Atletico = England
Atalanta = Croatia
PSG = Spain

1594387576185.png

zero shots on target against soon-to-be relegated, 18th place Bournemouth who have been shipping goals away for fun. I just don't even know. It's Mourinho, it's the players. Some really, really, really, poor performances. There's no confidence, no one wants to try anything and when they finally do it's too late or lose possession. Ndombele finally makes an appearance and had some small moments of brilliance but it's not enough. Kane looks knackered, Son looks lost. Sissoko is back to his pre-2018/19 self, Lamela is garbage in possession, he gets into golden spaces but doesn't pass. We give it to Aurier to cross and pray but his crosses are so shit. Jose's substitutions don't make any sense, Tanguy comes on, but take off Lo Celso and Bergwijn? I don't know anymore. Our defense and midfield are lower mid table PL quality right now. No way we're a top 6 side if we go into next season with the same players in our backline and midfield. No way.
This game was terrible. I cannot believe they had a draw with Bournemouth. Relegation worthy Bournemouth...

I'M HYPED

One of Leipzig/Atalanta/Atletico/PSG are going to make the final. Reminds me of the stacked one side of the bracket that was in the 2018 World Cup.

Leipzig = Sweden
Atletico = England
Atalanta = Croatia
PSG = Spain

View attachment 55961

And for those of us whose interest lies in a less prestigious European completion ☹️
E7658EA9-0E03-44B6-8E8B-E984629B18BA.png

Woohoo! It’s all coming up United! We’ve got to beat Southampton at Old Trafford now tomorrow and that’s us in third!

Woohoo! It’s all coming up United! We’ve got to beat Southampton at Old Trafford now tomorrow and that’s us in third!
Leicester are going to be missing out on CL, who would have thought it? Collapse from them is basically the same as Spurs of last season. Amazing first half and mid-table form in the second half.

Leicester are going to be missing out on CL, who would have thought it? Collapse from them is basically the same as Spurs of last season. Amazing first half and mid-table form in the second half.

Hopefully Chelsea get pumped by Liverpool and that bunch of fuckers miss out instead. Rogers is a criminally overrated bluffer but Chelsea fans are a really hateful bunch.

Hopefully Chelsea get pumped by Liverpool and that bunch of fuckers miss out instead. Rogers is a criminally overrated bluffer but Chelsea fans are a really hateful bunch.
I would 100% rather see Leicester in there instead of Chelsea. Chelsea will probably beat Norwich and then lose to Liverpool, the. Idk what they may do against Wolves. It’ll be an interesting last few games that’s for sure.

I would 100% rather see Leicester in there instead of Chelsea. Chelsea will probably beat Norwich and then lose to Liverpool, the. Idk what they may do against Wolves. It’ll be an interesting last few games that’s for sure.

Fingers crossed here that we can win the three games we should, Southampton and West Ham at home and Palace away and be in a strong position before the final day away at Leicester! Also maybe Norwich will play with freedom now that they are down and then we can beat Chelsea at Wembley and knock their confidence...

Fingers crossed here that we can win the three games we should, Southampton and West Ham at home and Palace away and be in a strong position before the final day away at Leicester! Also maybe Norwich will play with freedom now that they are down and then we can beat Chelsea at Wembley and knock their confidence...
Would love that.

It’s not impossible for Spurs to still grab that 5th place spot. We face Newcastle, Palace and Leicester. We need Leicester to lose 2 more (Hopefully Spurs and United, and then Sheffield either a lose or a Draw against them ideally). It’s very unlikely but I’m much more confident now, compared to after the Bournemouth game. I would be over the moon with a 5th place finish, but I’m looking forward to Europa actually. I don’t think we’re ready for CL again and Europa is something that we can win and will give our youth some real experience.

Would love that.

It’s not impossible for Spurs to still grab that 5th place spot. We face Newcastle, Palace and Leicester. We need Leicester to lose 2 more (Hopefully Spurs and United, and then Sheffield either a lose or a Draw against them ideally). It’s very unlikely but I’m much more confident now, compared to after the Bournemouth game. I would be over the moon with a 5th place finish, but I’m looking forward to Europa actually. I don’t think we’re ready for CL again and Europa is something that we can win and will give our youth some real experience.

Not a chance sorry, Bore-inho got lucky against an attacking Arsenal side with a leaky defence. Watching the game I thought that they were the better team, they just made factual mistakes. I can’t see you doing anything against anyone who is even half organised at the back...

Also, Sheffield United, there are two sides in the steel city and whilst they may be going through a rough patch right now Wednesday have won double the amount of league titles that Spurs have 😉

Not a chance sorry, Bore-inho got lucky against an attacking Arsenal side with a leaky defence. Watching the game I thought that they were the better team, they just made factual mistakes. I can’t see you doing anything against anyone who is even half organised at the back...

Also, Sheffield United, there are two sides in the steel city and whilst they may be going through a rough patch right now Wednesday have won double the amount of league titles that Spurs have 😉
We didn’t have as much possession but Arsenal did not play well today. We had one of our better performances under Mourihno. I factually disagree with your assessment. Could have easily been, 3 or 4-1 at the end of the game.

3DDDEC2E-047D-41DE-AE05-22DD7890B035.jpeg

Semantics, you know I mean Sheffield United...

We didn’t have as much possession but Arsenal did not play well today. We had one of our better performances under Mourihno. I factually disagree with your assessment. Could have easily been, 3 or 4-1 at the end of the game.

View attachment 56339

Semantics, you know I mean Sheffield United...

Not semantics. It’s diesrespectful to a big historic club. I hate hate hated it in the past when foreigners used to refer to us as Manchester before the city emergence. There isn’t a Sheffield United fan in existence who would call themselves Sheffield, it’d be United or the Blades or maybe Sheff United.

Sitting deep and waiting for arsenal to make mistakes was always likely to yield results given their defenders. You had absolutely no creativity on show, they were much more creative, Aubameyang in particular was unkindly not to score, they are just hamstring by their centre halves. You won’t catch and pass the teams above you playing like that.

Back