It Could Get A Bit Messi In Here - The Football Thread.

Not semantics. It’s diesrespectful to a big historic club. I hate hate hated it in the past when foreigners used to refer to us as Manchester before the city emergence. There isn’t a Sheffield United fan in existence who would call themselves Sheffield, it’d be United or the Blades or maybe Sheff United.

Sitting deep and waiting for arsenal to make mistakes was always likely to yield results given their defenders. You had absolutely no creativity on show, they were much more creative, Aubameyang in particular was unkindly not to score, they are just hamstring by their centre halves. You won’t catch and pass the teams above you playing like that.
I’m just going to have to agree to disagree. You must have watched a different game than I did because Arsenal left acres of space for us to attack with on the counter. They missed some chances as well but we were much more sound defensively outside of Lacazette’s wonder strike. Martinez also had an amazing game. Made some unreal saves that a lesser GK would have conceded.

us taking the 5th spot is likely not going to happen but it’s still possible. We need some results to fall for us but it could still happen. Like a 5% chance or less.

I’m just going to have to agree to disagree. You must have watched a different game than I did because Arsenal left acres of space for us to attack with on the counter. They missed some chances as well but we were much more sound defensively outside of Lacazette’s wonder strike.

us taking the 5th spot is likely not going to happen but it’s still possible.

I just saw one team be gifted chances and another create them, a draw would have been the fair score from what I saw, I mean Auba hit the bar and pulled a wonderful save from Lloris from really good moves. Arsenal are woefully naive, no doubt, but god are you set up to bore.

I just don’t see how you can be excited by that after having a genuinely exciting attacking team under a dynamic manager for 5 years.

I just saw one team be gifted chances and another create them, a draw would have been the fair score from what I saw, I mean Auba hit the bar and pulled a wonderful save from Lloris from really good moves. Arsenal are woefully naive, no doubt, but god are you set up to bore.

I just don’t see how you can be excited by that after having a genuinely exciting attacking team under a dynamic manager for 5 years.
We’ve been shit for well before Mou came in. We were getting very lucky results under Poch for a while starting in January 2019. That was the last time we really looked the attacking Tottenham that everyone expects. Unsustainable results, nicking a late goal here and there, but our form has been terrible since we beat Leicester in February 2019. Kane came back the next week, we lost 2-1 and Burnley and then it was a free fall. The beginning half of this season under Poch was terrible. If we had kept him the whole season we’d be no better than 12th right now. He lost the plot and half the dressing room.

I’m extremely happy with today’s result. First time I’ve seen the players show some passion for the shirt in a long, long time. 3 points is 3 points. Arsenal may have looked better at times but we got the result. Mourihno is a different manager and he’s done a good job of fixing our leaky defense outside of that Sheffield (United 😉) game. I blame Dier for a lot of those goals and I’m not upset that he’s currently suspended.

We’ve been shit for well before Mou came in. We were getting very lucky results under Poch for a while starting in January 2019. That was the last time we really looked the attacking Tottenham that everyone expects. Unsustainable results, nicking a late goal here and there, but our form has been terrible since we beat Leicester in February 2019. Kane came back the next week, we lost 2-1 and Burnley and then it was a free fall. The beginning half of this season under Poch was terrible. If we had kept him the whole season we’d be no better than 12th right now. He lost the plot and half the dressing room.

I’m extremely happy with today’s result. First time I’ve seen the players show some passion for the shirt in a long, long time. 3 points is 3 points. Arsenal may have looked better at times but we got the result. Mourihno is a different manager and he’s done a good job of fixing our leaky defense outside of that Sheffield (United 😉) game. I blame Dier for a lot of those goals and I’m not upset that he’s currently suspended.

True but Poch was undermined by Levy and the new stadium. He is the best manager Spurs have had in my 30 odd years of following football and you’ll likely never have a better one. He did miracles to keep you competitive, in the top 4, and to a champions league final without being allowed to freshen his squad and he knew it needed it. The premier league always moves forward and if you don’t improve and freshen you move backward. If Levy was honest he’d have quit in December, not sacked Poch 100% the blame lies at his door not at the managers. Good luck paying off the stadium debt outside of the champions league. Bore-inho is a busted flush, he hasn’t materially improved your defence, he’s dropped your entire team 20 yards backwards to compensate and blunted your attacking verve as a result. If he stays be prepared for a pile of mercenaries that are too close to 30 to arrive in the next 5 years. Meanwhile watch Poch massively improve the next club he goes to.

Also you might mock me but history and tradition are hugely important in English football, we have multiple European Cup winners and finalists in our second tier, respect is earned by trophies and tradition and isn’t washed away by modern trends.

Honestly I’m glad to see FFP be undermined. It’s a cartel designed to keep the biggest clubs in situ by blocking outside investment. My issue with City’s ownership isn't that the money has been invested or how it’s invested, I think investors should be able to come in and act as a benefactor to a club. Its where the money came from that causes the problem, ie the fact that they’re a sportswashing exercise for a repressive, religious fundamentalist, Middle East petro-state.

Honestly I’m glad to see FFP be undermined. It’s a cartel designed to keep the biggest clubs in situ by blocking outside investment. My issue with City’s ownership isn't that the money has been invested or how it’s invested, I think investors should be able to come in and act as a benefactor to a club. Its where the money came from that causes the problem, ie the fact that they’re a sportswashing exercise for a repressive, religious fundamentalist, Middle East petro-state.
Yeah my understanding is that it kept those big clubs in check, but also the same for smaller clubs. So it is really hard for a smaller club to get on that same level as a larger club without breaking FFP rules. Everyone sort of stays in their own lane/class. If FFP is meaningless then the big clubs will spend like crazy knowing that nothing will happen to them, and so could the smaller clubs. This could open the door for more Sportswashing, Newcastle will probably get taken over, other clubs with foreign owners will pump more money into them now. It could get a bit messi.

Yeah my understanding is that it kept those big clubs in check, but also the same for smaller clubs. So it is really hard for a smaller club to get on that same level as a larger club without breaking FFP rules. Everyone sort of stays in their own lane/class. If FFP is meaningless then the big clubs will spend like crazy knowing that nothing will happen to them, and so could the smaller clubs. This could open the door for more Sportswashing, Newcastle will probably get taken over, other clubs with foreign owners will pump more money into them now. It could get a bit messi.

I don’t think that this felled FFP as a principle though. It was found that the accusations proved were the equivalent of statue barred in these regulations and that the ones that weren’t were not proven due to insufficient evidence. The fine was for not cooperating with the investigations. I think that there needs to be caps to stop clubs “doing a Leeds” but a balance needs to be struck to stop the competition going stale because it’s in real danger of that right now. Look at the league situations in Spain, Italy and Germany.

I actually think that sportswashing is a different issue and that things such as FFP aren’t the mechanisms to stop it. The mechanisms to stop it are the competitions having robust ownership criteria thus barring such investors from having a stake in their completion. I have serious issues with the states of Abu Dhabi (city) and Dubai (PSG) owning clubs and the way that clubs like Barcelona have whored themselves out to promote the Qatari state. That said those countries pale into insignificance when put next to the Saudi Arabian state which is effectively going to buy Newcastle, it’s quite simply the single most malignant state actor in world politics, UEFA, FA and the Premier League should have iron clad rules barring such ownership models existing!

Oh, I meant for City. But with Henderson's injury, Thiago seems like a no-brainer. But City could beat us to that too. I read a terrible rumor that we're going to pick up Lovren's extension. If it's to use him as trade bait, okay. If it's to keep, yeah...no.

Oh, I meant for City. But with Henderson's injury, Thiago seems like a no-brainer. But City could beat us to that too. I read a terrible rumor that we're going to pick up Lovren's extension. If it's to use him as trade bait, okay. If it's to keep, yeah...no.
Lovren is a big Trump supporter too... you really need to get rid of him

He's also weirdly the Salah whisperer. They are best buddies. I would hate to keep that albatross around just for that reason. He and David Luiz should team up to create the worst CB duo in the EPL.

He's also weirdly the Salah whisperer. They are best buddies. I would hate to keep that albatross around just for that reason. He and David Luiz should team up to create the worst CB duo in the EPL.

Can I add Marcos Rojo and his two footed lunge tackles into consideration for this.

Can I add Marcos Rojo and his two footed lunge tackles into consideration for this.
I could see both of these players at Arsenal forming the worst backline in PL history

Mustafi - Luiz - Lovren - Rojo

I could see both of these players at Arsenal forming the worst backline in PL history

Mustafi - Luiz - Lovren - Rojo

Haha! Maybe amongst the worst at top level clubs, there have been some bad bad defenders down the years when you go down the table. That said we’ve not mentioned William Prunier or Igor Stepanovs yet!

Not good enough. Martial and Rashford were very good but the rest weren’t at the required standard and playing out with 10 men is never easy. Fair play to Southampton, they deserved the point tonight.

Not good enough. Martial and Rashford were very good but the rest weren’t at the required standard and playing out with 10 men is never easy. Fair play to Southampton, they deserved the point tonight.
Martial rinsed KWP for both goals and at that point I expected United to go on and win by at least two more goals

Back