Gotta warp, these members can help. [Vinyl Flat]

@NewsFedora is sending you a record to flatten and send to me!

Yeah, @scotthilk is buying my warped Brooks album so I’ll send it to you to flatten and from there you can send to Scott.

And just so everyone is on the same page, the album is a double LP with both records needing to be flattened.

Edit: I quoted the wrong post but you get the idea I hope. 😔

Last edited:
Unless you wanna arm wrestle @kvetcha to do it. I’ve never been in this thread before, I didn’t realize there were so many options
Lol ok that makes sense! It makes no difference to me, if you want to sent it my way, I’ll have at it. If you’d rather have @kvetcha do it because he’s closer, that’s fine too! 👍

I’m located in Tennessee, and was wondering if anyone close would be willing to flatten around five records? I’ll gladly compensate for the work that was done!

It’ll be like an experiment, who’s the better flattener, lol.
LOL! I love it. vinyl Flattenering competition. I can picture the trophy now. I mean I watch competitions where they make knives and cupcakes. I would watch this. @Mather would have to have to judge, right? It needs a nice punny name that gets less and less clever like I’m Flattered.

Last edited:
LOL! I love it. vinyl Flattenering competition. I can picture the trophy now. I mean I watch competitions where they make knives and cupcakes. I would watch this. @Mather would have to have to judge, right? It needs a nice punny name that gets less and less clever like I’m Flattered.
Flat Out Fucked

20210522_225912.jpg

Seeing as this is happening more and more often.. I think I need to get a flat

These will play and it's clean, but is my album of the year... And its just the worst of the more subtle edge warps that are on every records.. this is basically dished

I don't actually mind super small edge warps like what I get with VMP or just standard with any package

But dishing is too much for me and needs to be fixed imo
I’m only speaking from a Vinyl Flat perspective. Dishes can be fixed almost completely, and without audible artifacts.

It’s tight edge warps that are trouble.

I figured I'd make a post here about the risks involved when using the Vinyl Flat.

Some things to consider. I've had some variant of Vinyl Flat and Groovy Pouch for almost 10 years. Looking back at some old posts on Audiokarma, it seems my first flattening session was August 2012.

Since then I have had only one record damaged out of probably 200 to 300 records flattened, and it happened to be an Orville Peck - Pony in a stack of records I'm flattening for @highqualityrecords

I have read about issues with multicolored records, but never had issues myself. From what I've read the theory is that different colors have different melting or softening points. That is entirely possible, but again, this is the only time I've had an issue.

This record was just originally a simple slight warp.

My camera didn't really pick it up too well, but there was some daylight under the record every rotation.

I started the first session at an hour. I got up to a 5 hour session with no real change. The 6 hours session melted it.

This is the record today.

X6qiWW.jpg

qEFgfY.jpg

n839RR.jpg

I really doubt it's fixable at this point.

I felt like this should be posted so people know the risks involved. If something is playable with a warp, then is the risk worth it? One in 300 doesn't sound like bad odds, but it sucks for me and the owner when damage does happen. If the warp is playable and doesn't make any audible changed in sound, then I really don't see the need on taking the risk. Especially with the more expensive variants, as getting a replacement may be too expensive or just hard to find. And all the mixed colored vinyl of today being a possible issue.

My current bag is one that only has 1 heat setting, so I don't know if it just got too hot or what. I have a thermometer that measured it at around 144 degrees Fahrenheit, but I don't really know if this is higher or lower than other peoples bags.

If you are weary of risking it, I would suggest hitting Barnes And Noble and find 2 copies of some huge 13" x 13" book. Sandwich the record between the 2 and forget about it for a month or 2. You really don't need heat to take out a warp, it only accelerates the process.

Last edited:
As for the #competition...

This one only took about an hour to fix

Dishes are usually pretty easy, I did have one recently that kept flipping sides on me. It was dished on side A...after flattening it was dished on side b.

That took a bit to finally work out.

Back