Gotta warp, these members can help. [Vinyl Flat]

So, now that I have the Vinyl Flat, I'm seeing warps everywhere. The new Foxing record arrived with a slip edge warp and I'm wondering if it's worth adjusting. It's pretty slight, so I don't think it's really adding much wear to the stylus. I'm curious how often other owners use the Vinyl Flat.
Depends on how acute the warp is. Sharp edge warps are tough to fix without audible artifacts, so I tend to only bother if it’s distracting or can’t track to begin with.

Subtle/long edge warps and bowl warps I’ll do every time. They come out so easily.

So, now that I have the Vinyl Flat, I'm seeing warps everywhere. The new Foxing record arrived with a slip edge warp and I'm wondering if it's worth adjusting. It's pretty slight, so I don't think it's really adding much wear to the stylus. I'm curious how often other owners use the Vinyl Flat.

i tend to just put a record inside the vinyl flat if i see a warp noticeable enough that warrants immediate placing. I kind of avoid using the heat pouch until it's absolutely necessary to use it

edit: fwiw, i still have a bunch of records that need "fixing", but i dont exactly have the time to sort through all of them, so i just go with the ones that are on constant rotation at the moment for me

I typically fire up the VF if the record has a significant warp. If it’s really minor, then I might not bother with it. It really depends on how lazy I am.

Has to be significant, if I can see it while it's rotating yes. Any bowls go through as well. If it's "MEH" I might put it aside for the next time I fire up the VF and take care of it at that point.

Has to be significant, if I can see it while it's rotating yes. Any bowls go through as well. If it's "MEH" I might put it aside for the next time I fire up the VF and take care of it at that point.
Not to be pedantic, but rotation on the table is the only way ever notice a warp. Are there other ways?

Not to be pedantic, but rotation on the table is the only way ever notice a warp. Are there other ways?
For me, I can tell if there's an issue when cleaning. You can here the difference in the suction sound on the VPI, if not at that point, I always watch on my first spin to see if there is any issue. Putting it on the platter is going to give you the best assessment of where the problem is and how to go about fixing it with the VF.

Can anyone with a VF and the pouch tell me the required power for the pouch? is it 110v or 100-240v? I am tempted in buying one, but I want to be able to use it whenever I move back in Europe.

edit: I can answer my own question. 110v only, sadly

Can anyone with a VF and the pouch tell me the required power for the pouch? is it 110v or 100-240v? I am tempted in buying one, but I want to be able to use it whenever I move back in Europe.

edit: I can answer my own question. 110v only, sadly

You can buy a step down adaptor no? Not very expensive.
You'll need one that's a powerful, though.

I had to get this one as the regular small ones didn't provide the necessary power VF recommended:

Hey y'all! I have a few albums that I could use flattened, and am now based out of Indianapolis. @LeeVing was taking care of me back in the PNW, but wouldn't mind finding someone a little closer. Let me know if anyone would be able to take them in, no rush!
I’m available! @AnthonyI is closest to you but I certainly don’t mind helping out.

Hi! Could anybody take a look at some vids of some warps and let me know if they think it could be removed/fixed or not?

So I cleaned and rinsed my Alabama Shakes: S&C (clear variant) yesterday and put it into the VF after cleaning the padding with a lint roller.

I plan on avoiding the pouch and just seeing this warm weather (probs 85 degrees in my bedroom where I put it) will suffice since it's both a colored vinyl and a minor warp. Thoughts on how long to leave it doing its thing?

So... after leaving my records alone for basically 2 years-- through a couple of hot summers with just a window AC-- and making sure they were perfectly vertical but not too tightly packed... a bunch of my very minor warps have self corrected. Thanks to everyone here who played a role in the advice giving years ago.

I'm in the overly long process of safely packing up 400-500 records for my move from LA to Chicago and have been checking each record for warps along the way. I'm in a better financial place than a couple years ago and so will likely invest in a vacuum cleaner and a proper record clamp once there. (Any recommendations for a Rega Planar 2 table?).

Side note-- leaving the Alabama Shakes alone in the Flat for several weeks did indeed work without any damage. Will probably eventually repeat that tactic on my OG License to Ill that is warped as fuck as well as the couple of colored records that are still in a bad place.

Meanwhile, I just pulled the Vinyl Flat / oven pouch back out after several years of storage and am about to stick Danny Brown's last record in it. We shall see what happens.

Last edited:
Back