Fresh Grabs

[CRACKS KNUCKLES]…Okay, let’s do this…

September Fresh Grabs

My idea was that if I limited my “Fresh Grabs” post to a single monthly post, it would help keep my buying in check. Looks like I am off to a bit of a rocky start…
View attachment 113697
Low - HEY WHAT
Smoke Bellows - Open For Business
Charley Crockett - Music City USA

These were my new releases I acquired this month. All three will likely land somewhere on my AOTY list. Low might be #1.
View attachment 113698
Crosby Stills Nash & Young - Déjà Vu
Roberta Flack - First Take
Paul Simon - Still Crazy After All These Years
The Monkees - Pisces, Aquarius, Capricorn & Jones Ltd.

I picked these up at a giant Labor Day flea market in Packwood, WA. Most of the time I have little luck at this thing with vinyl but this time I found all these in VG+ condition for $6 bucks.
View attachment 113701
Junior Wells - Hoodoo Man Blues
Howlin’ Wolf - The Howlin' Wolf Album
Black Crowes - Shake Your Money Maker
The Stooges - Fun House

Picked up Junior Wells from AS at just the right time since they are raising their MSRP on their releases. The Howlin’ Wolf was a generous PIF from @Ethos99 . Both the Black Crowes Boxset and The Stooges were recent pick ups from the Vinyl Deals Thread.
View attachment 113702
Wayne Shorter - The All Seeing Eye
Vels Trio - Yellow Ochre

Lee Morgan Quintet - Take Twelve
Wu-Tang Clan - Enter The Wu-Tang (36 Chambers)

Wayne shorter was picked up with that nice Amazon coupon code provided by @CrazyDiamond84 . Vels Trio was a TTL exclusive that I was completely unfamiliar with but absolutely loved upon my first listen. Then their is the VMP albums Lee Morgan is beautifully done if only the same could be said about Wu-Tang.
View attachment 113703
Destroyer - Destroyer’s Rubies
Broken Social Scene - Broken Social Scene
Antony &The Johnsons - I Am A Bird Now
Sam Prekop - Who’s Your New Professor

These are just some random pick ups. Destroyer is the VMP exclusive I purchased it off of @duke86fan for a fair price since it had a scratch through the beginning minute or so of side b that produces an audible tick each rotation. BSS was another TTL exclusive, one I wanted to add for a while. I still beget You Forgot It In People but the follow up is pretty darn good also. Antony is a beautiful album that was more of an add on to a Music Direct order I was making to get free shipping. Lastly Sam Prekop’s 2nd solo album by the Sea & Cake frontman is as good as any S&C albums. It’s been out of print but my local got a copy in for a reasonable price. Also not pictured but purchased at the same time was a At Echo Lake by Woods and Don Caballero 2 by Don Caballero. I just realized I forgot to Include both those in my photos.
View attachment 113704
Guided By Voices - Mag Earwhig!
Guided By Voices - Isolation Drills
The Walkmen - Everyone Who Pretended To Like Me Is Gone
Fountains Of Wayne - Welcome Interstate Managers

I ordered Mag Earwhig! Mainly because I received the fantastic remaster of Isolation Drills and while looking through my Discogs waitlist I noticed a VG+/VG+ copy for $15 and since it’s getting harder to find as it’s currently out of print I jumped on that one too. The Walkman’s Debut had been on my waitlist for awhile now and was finally repressed. And FOW was yet another stellar PIF via @Ethos99
View attachment 113705
Kurt Vile/Steve Gunn - Gunn Vile EP
Karate - Karate
Karate - In Place Of Real Insight

The Vile/Gunn split EP was essentially free. I was checking price and stumbled across a crazy deal on Walmart of all places, a third party seller, Movie Mars was selling this album for $4 bucks! With free shipping so the whole order with tax came to like $5 and some change. I had also been sitting on a $10 Walmart gift card that I had received for Christmas a couple years back (I hate Walmart) so I used that and received a fantastic EP featuring two of my favorites in Vile and Gunn. I wasn’t cool enough to enjoy Karate when they were an active group in the 90s/early 00s but as usual Numero Group reissues turned me on there jazzy, post-rock inde band. Both sound great and were fairly affordable from my local record store.
View attachment 113706
Blonde Redhead - Blonde Redhead
Blonde Redhead - In An Expression Of The Inexpressible
Blonde Redhead - 23

Blonde Redhead’s brilliant album Melody Of Certain Damaged Lemons was chosen by @MadLucas for N&G Record Of The Month for the month of October. Since I already owned that one I decided to fill out more of my BR collection. I picked up the Numero Group reissue of their Self-titled debut at my local and luckily found a copy of their out of print 23 via Music Direct where I was also able to pick up In An Expression for $14.
View attachment 113707
George Winston - December
Scott Cossu - Islands
Shadowfax - Too Far To Whisper
Death - Leprosy

My local had recently acquired some Windham Hill New Age albums from the 1980s and since they were super cheap at my local I figured aI would take a flyer on them. Turns out 80s New Age music is quite enjoyable. The Death album was a super cheap vinyl deal Amazon purchase it’s loud and brutal in the best way possible and glad to add it to my Metal collection.

Well, that’s it! Sorry, about the way too long post, I will hopefully do much better with tamping down my purchases in October than I did in September.

Is this the PIF thread?

This one has been seriously lingering on the table the past two weeks. Great pick up, apparently it’s becoming hard to come by
In Groove has some if anyone else is looking. I have the Duke Pearson Mosaic Select too, but great to have Phantom on wax.

Little sample for anyone on the fence

Last edited:
[CRACKS KNUCKLES]…Okay, let’s do this…

September Fresh Grabs

My idea was that if I limited my “Fresh Grabs” post to a single monthly post, it would help keep my buying in check. Looks like I am off to a bit of a rocky start…
View attachment 113697
Low - HEY WHAT
Smoke Bellows - Open For Business
Charley Crockett - Music City USA

These were my new releases I acquired this month. All three will likely land somewhere on my AOTY list. Low might be #1.
View attachment 113698
Crosby Stills Nash & Young - Déjà Vu
Roberta Flack - First Take
Paul Simon - Still Crazy After All These Years
The Monkees - Pisces, Aquarius, Capricorn & Jones Ltd.

I picked these up at a giant Labor Day flea market in Packwood, WA. Most of the time I have little luck at this thing with vinyl but this time I found all these in VG+ condition for $6 bucks.
View attachment 113701
Junior Wells - Hoodoo Man Blues
Howlin’ Wolf - The Howlin' Wolf Album
Black Crowes - Shake Your Money Maker
The Stooges - Fun House

Picked up Junior Wells from AS at just the right time since they are raising their MSRP on their releases. The Howlin’ Wolf was a generous PIF from @Ethos99 . Both the Black Crowes Boxset and The Stooges were recent pick ups from the Vinyl Deals Thread.
View attachment 113702
Vels Trio - Yellow Ochre

Wu-Tang Clan - Enter The Wu-Tang (36 Chambers)

Wayne shorter was picked up with that nice Amazon coupon code provided by @CrazyDiamond84 . Vels Trio was a TTL exclusive that I was completely unfamiliar with but absolutely loved upon my first listen. Then their is the VMP albums Lee Morgan is beautifully done if only the same could be said about Wu-Tang.
View attachment 113703
Destroyer - Destroyer’s Rubies
Broken Social Scene - Broken Social Scene
Antony &The Johnsons - I Am A Bird Now
Sam Prekop - Who’s Your New Professor

These are just some random pick ups. Destroyer is the VMP exclusive I purchased it off of @duke86fan for a fair price since it had a scratch through the beginning minute or so of side b that produces an audible tick each rotation. BSS was another TTL exclusive, one I wanted to add for a while. I still beget You Forgot It In People but the follow up is pretty darn good also. Antony is a beautiful album that was more of an add on to a Music Direct order I was making to get free shipping. Lastly Sam Prekop’s 2nd solo album by the Sea & Cake frontman is as good as any S&C albums. It’s been out of print but my local got a copy in for a reasonable price. Also not pictured but purchased at the same time was a At Echo Lake by Woods and Don Caballero 2 by Don Caballero. I just realized I forgot to Include both those in my photos.
View attachment 113704
Guided By Voices - Mag Earwhig!
The Walkmen - Everyone Who Pretended To Like Me Is Gone
Fountains Of Wayne - Welcome Interstate Managers

I ordered Mag Earwhig! Mainly because I received the fantastic remaster of Isolation Drills and while looking through my Discogs waitlist I noticed a VG+/VG+ copy for $15 and since it’s getting harder to find as it’s currently out of print I jumped on that one too. The Walkman’s Debut had been on my waitlist for awhile now and was finally repressed. And FOW was yet another stellar PIF via @Ethos99
View attachment 113705
Kurt Vile/Steve Gunn - Gunn Vile EP
Karate - Karate
Karate - In Place Of Real Insight

The Vile/Gunn split EP was essentially free. I was checking price and stumbled across a crazy deal on Walmart of all places, a third party seller, Movie Mars was selling this album for $4 bucks! With free shipping so the whole order with tax came to like $5 and some change. I had also been sitting on a $10 Walmart gift card that I had received for Christmas a couple years back (I hate Walmart) so I used that and received a fantastic EP featuring two of my favorites in Vile and Gunn. I wasn’t cool enough to enjoy Karate when they were an active group in the 90s/early 00s but as usual Numero Group reissues turned me on there jazzy, post-rock inde band. Both sound great and were fairly affordable from my local record store.
View attachment 113706
Blonde Redhead - Blonde Redhead
Blonde Redhead - In An Expression Of The Inexpressible
Blonde Redhead - 23

Blonde Redhead’s brilliant album Melody Of Certain Damaged Lemons was chosen by @MadLucas for N&G Record Of The Month for the month of October. Since I already owned that one I decided to fill out more of my BR collection. I picked up the Numero Group reissue of their Self-titled debut at my local and luckily found a copy of their out of print 23 via Music Direct where I was also able to pick up In An Expression for $14.
View attachment 113707
George Winston - December
Scott Cossu - Islands
Shadowfax - Too Far To Whisper
Death - Leprosy

My local had recently acquired some Windham Hill New Age albums from the 1980s and since they were super cheap at my local I figured aI would take a flyer on them. Turns out 80s New Age music is quite enjoyable. The Death album was a super cheap vinyl deal Amazon purchase it’s loud and brutal in the best way possible and glad to add it to my Metal collection.

Well, that’s it! Sorry, about the way too long post, I will hopefully do much better with tamping down my purchases in October than I did in September.
That was a nice month for indie rock, need a few of those myself! Need to check out that Karate band.

Light week, but an exciting one.
🚨
Boom Boom alert
🚨

Art Blakey - Africaine
Bobby Hutcherson - Patterns (both courtesy of @RHANDMJ - Boom Boom/RTI pressings)
Eric Dolphy - Out to Lunch (BN Classics)

A7178BCB-C8DB-4908-B72E-E3B24207CBAF.jpeg

Between some online purchases, stopping by the local, and things finally showing up...it got a bit crazy last month. Pretty happy with all of these though! Been thinking about picking a retirement date in the next year, guess I should mellow it out so I don't go full Nathan on it.

Andrew Marlin - Witching Hour
Andrew Marlin - Fable & Fire
Delvon Lamarr Organ Trio - Live at KEXP
Billy Bragg and Wilco - Mermaid Avenue

Waited months for the Marlin's, looking forward to spinning them. The Delvon is great, as is all his stuff. Mermaid Ave is an all-timer for me, was glad someone found a few boxes of those. I may have been delivered an extra too.

F8ECDFF3-37C5-4646-B844-26EB1260A4DB.jpeg

The Jayhawks - Hollywood Town Hall
Digital Underground - Sex Packets
Little Simz - Sometimes I Might Be Introvert
Big Red Machine - How Long Do You Think It's Gonna Last

The Jayhawks is another all-timer I was happy to get a great price, not sure why it dropped for a day or two. Great press on first listen. The Digital Underground I had to piece together from two sets, my local was great about it. The first was oval shaped for some reason, literally cut part of the first song off it was so badly shaped. Little Simz is the Rough Trade, came a bit late but excited to have one of the better albums of the year. The Big Red Machine is a bit of a bore, might find it's way on the togo pile.

C8417C96-8504-4420-BF19-9A08282FACD5.jpeg

Amyl and the Sniffers - s/t
Amyl and the Sniffers - Comfort To Me
The Men - Leave Home
Supergrass - In It For The Money

This new Amyl album is freaking fantastic, I can't get enough. Kinda reminds me of Courtney Barnett playing different/punkier songs. The Men is the 10 year reissue, kinda bought on a whim. Need to give a couple more listens. Supergrass is such a great band, and really happy to have this one too. Sounds fantastic!

19F6056B-379F-44CF-B2ED-6D81C8FA8FA8.jpeg

Emma-Jean Thackery - Yellow
Blonde Redhead - 23
Blonde Redhead - Melody of Certain Damaged Lemons
Ezra Collective - You Can't Steal My Joy

The Emma is a fantastic jazz album that's all over the place in a great way. It'll get a bunch of spins. Blonde Redhead was the N&G ROTM, and both are great records. Ezra has been on the want list for a while, finally pulled the trigger.

B149788C-BE4D-4310-9F2C-89743367986A.jpeg

Strand Of Oaks - Heal
Low - Hey What
Oingo Boingo - Good For Your Soul

Some great rock here. I love Strand of Oaks and this is my favorite of theirs. The new Low is outstanding, looking forward to spending a lot of time with them. One of the best of the year. The Oingo is the next in the reissue series, and sounds great. Isolation Drills is one of my favorite GBV albums, some great power poppier moments.

141B5F01-A63B-445D-8561-B3DA8C18364F.jpeg

The Velvet Underground - The Verve/MGM Albums

I knew the local had this sitting around as I'd seen it a few times. All the mention in one of the other threads finally go me to pull the trigger. Excellent set at a not crazy price.

84755F2B-AEB0-4A57-98AE-6FC88FE007F4.jpeg

Wu-Tang - Enter the Wu-Tang (36 Chambers)
Black Pumas - Capitol Cuts

The Wu-Tang sounds not bad, need to give it another closer listen. Not sure if there are any bad Lee Morgan records, this one is great too. Wayne Shorter is the new Tone Poet, perfect. And then the Pumas...Beautiful record, and sounds good too.
23FBB1B3-1BDD-4D1B-9AE7-E92F8D1E7BBF.jpeg

Last edited:
Back