Fresh Grabs

Franco et l'OK Jazz
Vaudou Game - Noussin
Orchestre Poly-Rythmo de Cotonou - Honton Tche
Kyeremateng Stars - Kontontwifo Anomaa

One of my favourite African sellers also runs the Hot Casa label. So as well as picking up some fire from Congo, Benin and Ghana, I was able to get the new Vaudou Game, one of my best releases of the year so far. Check out the new K Frimpong reissue coming next month on Hot Casa too. Plus excellent Bob (mastered by RKS and sounds sweet).

EDIT: hot damn! Post #10,000 - good fresh grabbing N&G gang...

20211003_164928.jpg

Some more pick ups this week, mainly music related but not specifically records.

The Jeff Clyne / Ian Carr Quartet - Springboard (Polydor, 1969 First Pressing)

First up is a fantastic avant garde/free jazz release from Jeff Clyne and Ian Carr. A pretty tricky one to find nowadays so I feel really fortunate to have this. The artwork was created by 6 year-old Richie Stevens (drummer John Stevens son) who also provided the witty liner notes that includes "I almost fell asleep especially when it was just the bass" :ROFLMAO:

IMG_8432.jpg

Winston Curtis – Winston's Greats (Empire Records, 1977 First Pressing)

I am unfamiliar with this artist and have not heard the album yet, but I saw it for a quid in a charity shop and was intrigued enough to get it. Its a funk/reggae album so looking forward to it.

IMG_8431.jpg

Thelonious Monk and Art Blakey & The Jazz Messengers 1961 Tour Programme.
Curtis Counce Autograph

A really nice booklet/tour programme from Monk and Blakey's 1961 UK tour. It includes some fantastic artwork and photos of the group's performing. Plus I managed to buy an autograph from the legendary bassist Curtis Counce as well.

IMG_8424.jpg
IMG_8425.jpgIMG_8426.jpgIMG_8427.jpgIMG_8428.jpg

Original 1964 David Redfern contact prints of a Guy Warren album recording at Lansdowne Studios, London

This is an incredible find that I picked up this week. I was browsing online when I saw these listed for a super cheap price, with no real info attached to them. I instantly recognised the musician as being Guy Warren and know that his albums are really sought after, especially the Lansdowne sessions. Im lucky enough to have a test pressing of his Afro-Jazz album, but have never even seen a copy of his Emergent Drums album, which is the session where these photos were taken. David Redfern is a legendary photographer that photographed a ton of musicians including The Beatles, Jimmy Hendrix, The Who, Louis Armstrong, Duke Ellington, Frank Zappa, Sun Ra.....the list goes on.

IMG_8429.jpg
IMG_8430.jpg

[CRACKS KNUCKLES]…Okay, let’s do this…

September Fresh Grabs

My idea was that if I limited my “Fresh Grabs” post to a single monthly post, it would help keep my buying in check. Looks like I am off to a bit of a rocky start…
View attachment 113697
Low - HEY WHAT
Smoke Bellows - Open For Business
Charley Crockett - Music City USA

These were my new releases I acquired this month. All three will likely land somewhere on my AOTY list. Low might be #1.
View attachment 113698
Crosby Stills Nash & Young - Déjà Vu
Roberta Flack - First Take
Paul Simon - Still Crazy After All These Years
The Monkees - Pisces, Aquarius, Capricorn & Jones Ltd.

I picked these up at a giant Labor Day flea market in Packwood, WA. Most of the time I have little luck at this thing with vinyl but this time I found all these in VG+ condition for $6 bucks.
View attachment 113701
Junior Wells - Hoodoo Man Blues
Howlin’ Wolf - The Howlin' Wolf Album
Black Crowes - Shake Your Money Maker
The Stooges - Fun House

Picked up Junior Wells from AS at just the right time since they are raising their MSRP on their releases. The Howlin’ Wolf was a generous PIF from @Ethos99 . Both the Black Crowes Boxset and The Stooges were recent pick ups from the Vinyl Deals Thread.
View attachment 113702
Wayne Shorter - The All Seeing Eye
Vels Trio - Yellow Ochre

Lee Morgan Quintet - Take Twelve
Wu-Tang Clan - Enter The Wu-Tang (36 Chambers)

Wayne shorter was picked up with that nice Amazon coupon code provided by @CrazyDiamond84 . Vels Trio was a TTL exclusive that I was completely unfamiliar with but absolutely loved upon my first listen. Then their is the VMP albums Lee Morgan is beautifully done if only the same could be said about Wu-Tang.
View attachment 113703
Destroyer - Destroyer’s Rubies
Broken Social Scene - Broken Social Scene
Antony &The Johnsons - I Am A Bird Now
Sam Prekop - Who’s Your New Professor

These are just some random pick ups. Destroyer is the VMP exclusive I purchased it off of @duke86fan for a fair price since it had a scratch through the beginning minute or so of side b that produces an audible tick each rotation. BSS was another TTL exclusive, one I wanted to add for a while. I still beget You Forgot It In People but the follow up is pretty darn good also. Antony is a beautiful album that was more of an add on to a Music Direct order I was making to get free shipping. Lastly Sam Prekop’s 2nd solo album by the Sea & Cake frontman is as good as any S&C albums. It’s been out of print but my local got a copy in for a reasonable price. Also not pictured but purchased at the same time was a At Echo Lake by Woods and Don Caballero 2 by Don Caballero. I just realized I forgot to Include both those in my photos.
View attachment 113704
Guided By Voices - Mag Earwhig!
Guided By Voices - Isolation Drills
The Walkmen - Everyone Who Pretended To Like Me Is Gone
Fountains Of Wayne - Welcome Interstate Managers

I ordered Mag Earwhig! Mainly because I received the fantastic remaster of Isolation Drills and while looking through my Discogs waitlist I noticed a VG+/VG+ copy for $15 and since it’s getting harder to find as it’s currently out of print I jumped on that one too. The Walkman’s Debut had been on my waitlist for awhile now and was finally repressed. And FOW was yet another stellar PIF via @Ethos99
View attachment 113705
Kurt Vile/Steve Gunn - Gunn Vile EP
Karate - Karate
Karate - In Place Of Real Insight

The Vile/Gunn split EP was essentially free. I was checking price and stumbled across a crazy deal on Walmart of all places, a third party seller, Movie Mars was selling this album for $4 bucks! With free shipping so the whole order with tax came to like $5 and some change. I had also been sitting on a $10 Walmart gift card that I had received for Christmas a couple years back (I hate Walmart) so I used that and received a fantastic EP featuring two of my favorites in Vile and Gunn. I wasn’t cool enough to enjoy Karate when they were an active group in the 90s/early 00s but as usual Numero Group reissues turned me on there jazzy, post-rock inde band. Both sound great and were fairly affordable from my local record store.
View attachment 113706
Blonde Redhead - Blonde Redhead
Blonde Redhead - In An Expression Of The Inexpressible
Blonde Redhead - 23

Blonde Redhead’s brilliant album Melody Of Certain Damaged Lemons was chosen by @MadLucas for N&G Record Of The Month for the month of October. Since I already owned that one I decided to fill out more of my BR collection. I picked up the Numero Group reissue of their Self-titled debut at my local and luckily found a copy of their out of print 23 via Music Direct where I was also able to pick up In An Expression for $14.
View attachment 113707
George Winston - December
Scott Cossu - Islands
Shadowfax - Too Far To Whisper
Death - Leprosy

My local had recently acquired some Windham Hill New Age albums from the 1980s and since they were super cheap at my local I figured aI would take a flyer on them. Turns out 80s New Age music is quite enjoyable. The Death album was a super cheap vinyl deal Amazon purchase it’s loud and brutal in the best way possible and glad to add it to my Metal collection.

Well, that’s it! Sorry, about the way too long post, I will hopefully do much better with tamping down my purchases in October than I did in September.

I finally checked out that Charley Crockett - it's fantastic!!

Hit up the local Half Priced Books and found a couple inexpensive LPs and CDs.

Alien. 1982 pressing. Probably one of my favorite films. Been looking for a copy of this for some time.

J.J. Cale - Really. Just can't go wrong with some J.J.

Grateful Dead - Without a Net (2×CD)

Medeski, Martin, and Wood - It's a Jungle in Here (not pictured). My favorite album of theirs. I'll buy $4 MMW CDs every time.

1003211510~2.jpg

I also won the SlyVinyl raffle for the new Blue Sky Black Death Wax Mage 2xLP pressing of Noir!

Screenshot_2021-10-03-14-55-18-1~2.png

Hit up the local Half Priced Books and found a couple inexpensive LPs and CDs.

Alien. 1982 pressing. Probably one of my favorite films. Been looking for a copy of this for some time.

J.J. Cale - Really. Just can't go wrong with some J.J.

Grateful Dead - Without a Net (2×CD)

Medeski, Martin, and Wood - It's a Jungle in Here (not pictured). My favorite album of theirs. I'll buy $4 MMW CDs every time.

View attachment 113933

I also won the SlyVinyl raffle for the new Blue Sky Black Death Wax Mage 2xLP pressing of Noir!

View attachment 113935
Congrats! I can’t wait to see the Wax Mage vinyl when it arrives those a all practically works of art unto themselves.

Congrats! I can’t wait to see the Wax Mage vinyl when it arrives those a all practically works of art unto themselves.
Yeah, me too! I don't think they've announced what variant it'll be.

I have one other Wax Mage. It's an "insanity burst" of King Gizz's Polygondwanaland.

0405211247~2.jpg

As I continue to maniacally accumulate vinyl records before my next child arrives, this is what I have to show for it:

799BB556-AA3D-4977-869C-2752DCCFD441.jpeg

First, a couple of new records. The Stooges was a steal from Amazon and I was happy to find a sealed Hitchhiker at my local below the current market rate.

BEF2EA8D-780C-41CB-87BF-AEE3B48DEB4A.jpeg

Next, the cheap grabs. The XTC will need upgrading, because it’s the single-LP US version and not the full double album. This Joni was also a placeholder copy, which I have already upgraded with $2 VG+ copy (not pictured). The J.J. Johnson was a fun jazz find, and Emotional Rescue was the only studio Stones album I was missing for their 1966-1983 stretch.

BFBF9DDF-709F-4037-AD76-FDA44F3C1140.jpeg

Some of you may remember that I recently dipped into a private collection. I have since learned more about the deceased former owner and it’s a really sad, dark story. Guy was murdered at cold blood, shot through the window of his house by a mentally unstable junkie neighbor who he didn’t even know. Killer was recently sentenced to life in prison. So, yeah. I bought more of his Floyd records and a few others.

1CD0947E-1E61-4B38-A509-047DC3A90E6A.jpeg

B0CE9387-ECBC-40ED-8F84-4FA7EB16A358.jpeg

The crown jewel was this beautiful copy of Zen Arcade, which goes for a pretty penny on Discogs. No matter, because I didn’t buy it to resell. I’m keeping this one in his honor.

Got the BBNG - Talk Memory album in. Really glad I went with the White Vinyl with the Memory Catalogue Zines, these are pretty cool and fold out to 3 beautiful posters. I'm looking forward to going through them as I spin the album.
View attachment 114093
Is the music any good? I preordered their Spotify variant, and it is delayed at least a few weeks due to manufacturing slow downs.

Is the music any good? I preordered their Spotify variant, and it is delayed at least a few weeks due to manufacturing slow downs.
I'm Stuck working sadly, planning to give it a first listen tonight.

Edit: Just listened to the album and it's fantastic IMO. The vinyl itself had a bit of noise for the last few moments of side B but otherwise sounds great, it's a really dynamic album. Happy my first listen was on vinyl.

Last edited:
Glad to see you pick up that Liam Bailey!
Yeah!! It's my first Big Crown record!! I hope to pick up some older El Michels Affair stuff too eventually.

Thanks for reminding me to pick up a copy of that Kali Uchis.
I've listened the crap out outta it on spotify - I figure it's probably time to buy :)

Back