Fresh Grabs

Been in a bit of a funk the last few months. Haven’t even really spun any records all summer other than needle dropping my VMP arrivals to check for issues.

Went to Kansas City to catch a Chiefs game over the weekend. I try to make it down there once a year, but couldn’t last year because of covid. Felt real good getting out of my routine - best I’ve felt in so long.

Anyways, it was my first time down there by myself in a few years, so I had plenty of time to do some digging. Got some good stuff I’m excited about. I’ve started to work on my cleaning pile that’s stacked up over the past few months too.

All the albums in that Mozilla series are amazing. I love the Dilla one and am glad it got repressed.

Oooh, I didn’t know about the other ones. Need to check those out.

they just got re-released for RSD recently!

Nice! Mine’s on the way, but is still on your side of the ocean
Excited to have a (hopefully) working copy. I bought an OG 2 years ago from a record store in Copenhagen which i later found out had a surface warp on LP1 which made any point of the record skip like a stuck groove. Last year later i found a NM OG on Discogs for a good price but when it arrived it was his second album the seller had sent instead. Apparently he listed the wrong record. Not sure how you make that mistake but yeah lol

Excited to have a (hopefully) working copy. I bought an OG 2 years ago from a record store in Copenhagen which i later found out had a surface warp on LP1 which made any point of the record skip like a stuck groove. Last year later i found a NM OG on Discogs for a good price but when it arrived it was his second album the seller had sent instead. Apparently he listed the wrong record. Not sure how you make that mistake but yeah lol
Dang, that’s a lot of bad luck for the same album!

I had the same issue with a discogs seller with Franz Ferdinand’s debut, but the seller sent me their 3rd album instead 🤨

Two grabs from a local and 1 Billie PIF from the very generous @tvham

Very interested to give that Gene Ammons a spin, it’s pressed by a company called Alto Analogue. Apparently they were all cut by Bernie Grundman, went in blind-ish on it so fingers crossed it sounds as good as it looks. The Francoise Hardy is a limited press by “Destination Moon”, seems to be out of EU. Possibly a grey market release, not too sure, sounds way better than I was expecting!
514871CC-7ECF-4938-AFA3-97F2E9E605B5.jpeg

Dang, that’s a lot of bad luck for the same album!

I had the same issue with a discogs seller with Franz Ferdinand’s debut, but the seller sent me their 3rd album instead 🤨
A slightly different pressing i can understand but a completely different album is mind boggling.

September Acquisitons

PIF claims:

Parquet Courts - Wide Awake!
Spellling - Mazy Fly
20210930_230306.jpg

Both of these have been generously offered from @Ponman2003. I gave my initial Wide Awake! copy to a friend, so it was quite convenient to come across the PIF. As an unexpected bonus, Mazy Fly is the limited blue vinyl!

Ambient/Avant-Garde/Outer Sounds pickups:

Glenn Branca - The Ascension
Francesco Cavaliere & Tomoko Sauvage - Viridescens
Ellen Fullman - The Long String Instrument
Georgia - All Kind Music
20210930_230559.jpg

Glenn Branca is truly proto-Swans. I love it; wish I had listened earlier. Despite the pummeling, vociferous nature of Glenn's music, the music resonates deeply, and feels majestic. Out of print for a few years now, but came across a great condition listing on Discogs for $33 shipped.
This recent Outer Sounds pick, Viridescens, harnesses a strikingly rich, full-bodied avant-garde/ambient palette in a 33min package. Both Francesco Cavaliere and Tomoko Sauvage embody a tactile audio visual display, by turning objects/scenery (bowls, rain, bamboo, xylophones, synthesizers, etc.) and transcending towards musical imagination that intertwines choreography, sculpture, and orchestral scores. The visual element to their live performances is both captivating and luminous.
An avant-garde white whale of mine; I am elated to have Ellen Fullman's debut. Also acquired for a similar price to the Glenn Branca record mentioned above.
A rare case for me to get this Georgia LP just from the cover art alone; took a chance on it for $8. Pretty good! Quite strange, though. An added bonus that Caroline Polachek lends her vocals to one of the tracks on the back half!

Jon Gibson - Visitations
Jon Gibson - Songs & Melodies, 1973-1977
Florian Hecker / Okkyung Lee - Statistique Synthetique / Teum (The Silvery Slit) [split LP]
20210930_230926.jpg

Both of these Jon Gibson records are very distinct recordings from each other, but fantastic compositions all the while. Visitations is more of an enveloping, environmental soundscape. The other is a collection of archived recordings ranging from introspective piano meditations to cerebral ensemble works. Some of them are very reminiscent of Music For 18 Musicians.
Another recent Outer Sounds selection, this split LP from Florian Hecker and Okkyung Lee are drone/experimental pieces that require a more dedicated listen. They are intriguing, but certainly challenging; I will have to revisit them.

Current Year pickups:

Celeste - Not Your Muse
McKinley Dixon - For my Mama and Anyone Who Look Like Her
Low - HEY WHAT
Hayley Williams - FLOWERS for VASES / descansos
20210930_231148.jpg
Still feel very strongly about this full-length Celeste debut. Sometimes the time calls simply for dazzling vocals.
Some fun, hooky, jazzy hip-hop that doesn't seem to get talked about much on this forum. Oh well.
HEY WHAT is top5 this year so far. Yeah, I said it. Eating my words from earlier.
The newest (and kept secret) record from Hayley Williams is a very enjoyable singer/songwriter release that I still listen to at least once a month. The exclusive colorway, which is still available from her website as of the typing of this message, is probably my favorite color press that I've acquired this year...stunning variant.

Miscellaneous pickups:

Boris - Flood
Daft Punk - Random Access Memories
MF Doom - Operation: Doomsday
20210930_231408.jpg

Flood is the only Boris album I enjoy, and I now enjoy it even more with my (rather newish) adulation for post-rock. The hype sticker urges the customer to buy it if they like Steve Reich and Godspeed You! Black Emperor. Yeah, sounds about right.
Bought the recent repress of the modern Daft Punk classic from Amazon thanks to the first of a pair of $15 promotional credits that someone (I believe it was @CrazyDiamond84) offered in the Online Vinyl Deals thread. Sound quality on this is fantastic, as everyone has mentioned here.
Sold Operation: Doomsday two years ago with the alternate cover for pennies on the dollar. I won't make that mistake again. I do prefer this cover, as my rose-colored glasses would indicate.

Last edited:
McKinley Dixon - For my Mama and Anyone Who Look Like Her

Some fun, hooky, jazzy hip-hop that doesn't seem to get talked about much on this forum. Oh well.

That McKinley Dixon album is absolutely incredible! It and the new Little Simz are my hands down favourite hip hop albums of the year so far.

I've only been able to get my hands on one copy of the LP for a reasonable price (including shipping - which is usually what makes the price unreasonable) but gifted that one to a good friend of mine for our monthly record club. He'd never heard of it and also loves it so I'm glad I gave it to him, even if I do sometimes kinda wish I kept it for myself.

[CRACKS KNUCKLES]…Okay, let’s do this…

September Fresh Grabs

My idea was that if I limited my “Fresh Grabs” post to a single monthly post, it would help keep my buying in check. Looks like I am off to a bit of a rocky start…
262AB9B8-183B-4900-BB3F-A74435DFE8AF.jpeg
Low - HEY WHAT
Smoke Bellows - Open For Business
Charley Crockett - Music City USA

These were my new releases I acquired this month. All three will likely land somewhere on my AOTY list. Low might be #1.
3EA33D3D-E3FB-4F63-A9C3-4A850DF6C445.jpeg
Crosby Stills Nash & Young - Déjà Vu
Roberta Flack - First Take
Paul Simon - Still Crazy After All These Years
The Monkees - Pisces, Aquarius, Capricorn & Jones Ltd.

I picked these up at a giant Labor Day flea market in Packwood, WA. Most of the time I have little luck at this thing with vinyl but this time I found all these in VG+ condition for $6 bucks.
B4CB4A41-2D55-4FB9-8FC0-30B828E9DEBB.jpeg
Junior Wells - Hoodoo Man Blues
Howlin’ Wolf - The Howlin' Wolf Album
Black Crowes - Shake Your Money Maker
The Stooges - Fun House

Picked up Junior Wells from AS at just the right time since they are raising their MSRP on their releases. The Howlin’ Wolf was a generous PIF from @Ethos99 . Both the Black Crowes Boxset and The Stooges were recent pick ups from the Vinyl Deals Thread.
4C067FFA-1EE4-4BF2-9879-63337A2821E4.jpeg
Wayne Shorter - The All Seeing Eye
Vels Trio - Yellow Ochre

Lee Morgan Quintet - Take Twelve
Wu-Tang Clan - Enter The Wu-Tang (36 Chambers)

Wayne shorter was picked up with that nice Amazon coupon code provided by @CrazyDiamond84 . Vels Trio was a TTL exclusive that I was completely unfamiliar with but absolutely loved upon my first listen. Then their is the VMP albums Lee Morgan is beautifully done if only the same could be said about Wu-Tang.
770BC16C-5474-4FC6-AA70-9BA7FBCBBB6E.jpeg
Destroyer - Destroyer’s Rubies
Broken Social Scene - Broken Social Scene
Antony &The Johnsons - I Am A Bird Now
Sam Prekop - Who’s Your New Professor

These are just some random pick ups. Destroyer is the VMP exclusive I purchased it off of @duke86fan for a fair price since it had a scratch through the beginning minute or so of side b that produces an audible tick each rotation. BSS was another TTL exclusive, one I wanted to add for a while. I still beget You Forgot It In People but the follow up is pretty darn good also. Antony is a beautiful album that was more of an add on to a Music Direct order I was making to get free shipping. Lastly Sam Prekop’s 2nd solo album by the Sea & Cake frontman is as good as any S&C albums. It’s been out of print but my local got a copy in for a reasonable price. Also not pictured but purchased at the same time was a At Echo Lake by Woods and Don Caballero 2 by Don Caballero. I just realized I forgot to Include both those in my photos.
D14B375E-D83F-4055-8155-F8D35352D0E4.jpeg
Guided By Voices - Mag Earwhig!
Guided By Voices - Isolation Drills
The Walkmen - Everyone Who Pretended To Like Me Is Gone
Fountains Of Wayne - Welcome Interstate Managers

I ordered Mag Earwhig! Mainly because I received the fantastic remaster of Isolation Drills and while looking through my Discogs waitlist I noticed a VG+/VG+ copy for $15 and since it’s getting harder to find as it’s currently out of print I jumped on that one too. The Walkman’s Debut had been on my waitlist for awhile now and was finally repressed. And FOW was yet another stellar PIF via @Ethos99
78B1C7D1-328D-4CEB-BB94-36A7F46EFA20.jpeg
Kurt Vile/Steve Gunn - Gunn Vile EP
Karate - Karate
Karate - In Place Of Real Insight

The Vile/Gunn split EP was essentially free. I was checking price and stumbled across a crazy deal on Walmart of all places, a third party seller, Movie Mars was selling this album for $4 bucks! With free shipping so the whole order with tax came to like $5 and some change. I had also been sitting on a $10 Walmart gift card that I had received for Christmas a couple years back (I hate Walmart) so I used that and received a fantastic EP featuring two of my favorites in Vile and Gunn. I wasn’t cool enough to enjoy Karate when they were an active group in the 90s/early 00s but as usual Numero Group reissues turned me on there jazzy, post-rock inde band. Both sound great and were fairly affordable from my local record store.
9227CF9E-EC82-4797-8714-A347AE5CD65C.jpeg
Blonde Redhead - Blonde Redhead
Blonde Redhead - In An Expression Of The Inexpressible
Blonde Redhead - 23

Blonde Redhead’s brilliant album Melody Of Certain Damaged Lemons was chosen by @MadLucas for N&G Record Of The Month for the month of October. Since I already owned that one I decided to fill out more of my BR collection. I picked up the Numero Group reissue of their Self-titled debut at my local and luckily found a copy of their out of print 23 via Music Direct where I was also able to pick up In An Expression for $14.
D43452CC-FAD5-41F7-8295-2013A609A419.jpeg
George Winston - December
Scott Cossu - Islands
Shadowfax - Too Far To Whisper
Death - Leprosy

My local had recently acquired some Windham Hill New Age albums from the 1980s and since they were super cheap at my local I figured aI would take a flyer on them. Turns out 80s New Age music is quite enjoyable. The Death album was a super cheap vinyl deal Amazon purchase it’s loud and brutal in the best way possible and glad to add it to my Metal collection.

Well, that’s it! Sorry, about the way too long post, I will hopefully do much better with tamping down my purchases in October than I did in September.

[CRACKS KNUCKLES]…Okay, let’s do this…

September Fresh Grabs

My idea was that if I limited my “Fresh Grabs” post to a single monthly post, it would help keep my buying in check. Looks like I am off to a bit of a rocky start…
View attachment 113697
Low - HEY WHAT
Smoke Bellows - Open For Business
Charley Crockett - Music City USA

These were my new releases I acquired this month. All three will likely land somewhere on my AOTY list. Low might be #1.
View attachment 113698
Crosby Stills Nash & Young - Déjà Vu
Roberta Flack - First Take
Paul Simon - Still Crazy After All These Years
The Monkees - Pisces, Aquarius, Capricorn & Jones Ltd.

I picked these up at a giant Labor Day flea market in Packwood, WA. Most of the time I have little luck at this thing with vinyl but this time I found all these in VG+ condition for $6 bucks.
View attachment 113701
Junior Wells - Hoodoo Man Blues
Howlin’ Wolf - The Howlin' Wolf Album
Black Crowes - Shake Your Money Maker
The Stooges - Fun House

Picked up Junior Wells from AS at just the right time since they are raising their MSRP on their releases. The Howlin’ Wolf was a generous PIF from @Ethos99 . Both the Black Crowes Boxset and The Stooges were recent pick ups from the Vinyl Deals Thread.
View attachment 113702
Wayne Shorter - The All Seeing Eye
Vels Trio - Yellow Ochre

Lee Morgan Quintet - Take Twelve
Wu-Tang Clan - Enter The Wu-Tang (36 Chambers)

Wayne shorter was picked up with that nice Amazon coupon code provided by @CrazyDiamond84 . Vels Trio was a TTL exclusive that I was completely unfamiliar with but absolutely loved upon my first listen. Then their is the VMP albums Lee Morgan is beautifully done if only the same could be said about Wu-Tang.
View attachment 113703
Destroyer - Destroyer’s Rubies
Broken Social Scene - Broken Social Scene
Antony &The Johnsons - I Am A Bird Now
Sam Prekop - Who’s Your New Professor

These are just some random pick ups. Destroyer is the VMP exclusive I purchased it off of @duke86fan for a fair price since it had a scratch through the beginning minute or so of side b that produces an audible tick each rotation. BSS was another TTL exclusive, one I wanted to add for a while. I still beget You Forgot It In People but the follow up is pretty darn good also. Antony is a beautiful album that was more of an add on to a Music Direct order I was making to get free shipping. Lastly Sam Prekop’s 2nd solo album by the Sea & Cake frontman is as good as any S&C albums. It’s been out of print but my local got a copy in for a reasonable price. Also not pictured but purchased at the same time was a At Echo Lake by Woods and Don Caballero 2 by Don Caballero. I just realized I forgot to Include both those in my photos.
View attachment 113704
Guided By Voices - Mag Earwhig!
Guided By Voices - Isolation Drills
The Walkmen - Everyone Who Pretended To Like Me Is Gone
Fountains Of Wayne - Welcome Interstate Managers

I ordered Mag Earwhig! Mainly because I received the fantastic remaster of Isolation Drills and while looking through my Discogs waitlist I noticed a VG+/VG+ copy for $15 and since it’s getting harder to find as it’s currently out of print I jumped on that one too. The Walkman’s Debut had been on my waitlist for awhile now and was finally repressed. And FOW was yet another stellar PIF via @Ethos99
View attachment 113705
Kurt Vile/Steve Gunn - Gunn Vile EP
Karate - Karate
Karate - In Place Of Real Insight

The Vile/Gunn split EP was essentially free. I was checking price and stumbled across a crazy deal on Walmart of all places, a third party seller, Movie Mars was selling this album for $4 bucks! With free shipping so the whole order with tax came to like $5 and some change. I had also been sitting on a $10 Walmart gift card that I had received for Christmas a couple years back (I hate Walmart) so I used that and received a fantastic EP featuring two of my favorites in Vile and Gunn. I wasn’t cool enough to enjoy Karate when they were an active group in the 90s/early 00s but as usual Numero Group reissues turned me on there jazzy, post-rock inde band. Both sound great and were fairly affordable from my local record store.
View attachment 113706
Blonde Redhead - Blonde Redhead
Blonde Redhead - In An Expression Of The Inexpressible
Blonde Redhead - 23

Blonde Redhead’s brilliant album Melody Of Certain Damaged Lemons was chosen by @MadLucas for N&G Record Of The Month for the month of October. Since I already owned that one I decided to fill out more of my BR collection. I picked up the Numero Group reissue of their Self-titled debut at my local and luckily found a copy of their out of print 23 via Music Direct where I was also able to pick up In An Expression for $14.
View attachment 113707
George Winston - December
Scott Cossu - Islands
Shadowfax - Too Far To Whisper
Death - Leprosy

My local had recently acquired some Windham Hill New Age albums from the 1980s and since they were super cheap at my local I figured aI would take a flyer on them. Turns out 80s New Age music is quite enjoyable. The Death album was a super cheap vinyl deal Amazon purchase it’s loud and brutal in the best way possible and glad to add it to my Metal collection.

Well, that’s it! Sorry, about the way too long post, I will hopefully do much better with tamping down my purchases in October than I did in September.
I kept scrolling down thinking that each picture would be the last! 😂

I want to pick up that Destroyer at some point. How's it sound aside from the ticks? And do ya happen to know if its a different pressing than what already exists?

I kept scrolling down thinking that each picture would be the last! 😂

I want to pick up that Destroyer at some point. How's it sound aside from the ticks? And do ya happen to know if its a different pressing than what already exists?
Yeah it was a good month for deals but a bad month for self control.

Regarding Destroyers I think it’s the same pressing that is readily available. Outside of the scratch it sounds great. Pressed at RTI. I am happy with it.

Yeah it was a good month for deals but a bad month for self control.

Regarding Destroyers I think it’s the same pressing that is readily available. Outside of the scratch it sounds great. Pressed at RTI. I am happy with it.
might be from the same plates but isn't the regular pressing black?

Back