Equipment Recommendations - The Home For New System and Upgrade Advice

See, My initial reaction to most YouTube self proclaimed “experts” is a hard pass. I also don’t wanna listen to a Podcast or checkout a Tumbler either. I don’t think most people (myself included) are nearly as insightful and interesting as they think they are. I appreciate the gateway that old media presents in filtering out who is worthy of my time. Though, I am always open to recommendations but only if the person making the the recommendation isn’t also the person creating the content.
I’ve thought about doing a review channel and I’ll hold up the record and just when I’m about to do the review, suddenly there would be technical difficulties and the video would stop. I’d do that every time.

Overall consensus is the Fluance > Project?
I’d be very curious to check out the Debut Carbon Evo. Seems like a pretty solid table for $499. I’ve unfortunately had issues with motor hum, which it seems they’ve fixed, and tonearm wires, which they haven’t - they’re very thin and easy to damage.

I owned the RT85 and really enjoyed it. I probably would still have it if I hadn’t moved, and my buddy’s table broke right around the same time, so I sold it to him. It was dead quiet. Spot on accurate speed. Voiced nicely. Not a big soundstage, but a comfortable one, if that makes sense. Nicely balanced. My only complaint with it was it was particularly prone to static, especially at the beginning of a side. The arm was fine. Nothing amazing, but nothing detracting either. Tracked well.

That’s the guy. Hello Friends!!!!!!! 🤮

He’s annoying as can be. And his advice is generally as awful as is his taste in music.
I gave up on him after I saw his Lounge LCR Mk III video. It was like we were listening to two different preamps from the way he described it.

He also panned the RT85, said he “sold it to a friend for $40, because that’s all he could earnestly charge for its performance,” I’m paraphrasing. Meanwhile the Planar 1 he pitted it against was distorting left and right from its cartridge.

He seems content listening to the same ride cymbal pings on 150 different carts to come up with different adjectives to compare. Whatever floats your boat, but definitely not someone whose ears I trust.

I've never owned a Fluance, but I have owned and consistently used a Dual 1219 for ten years. In that time I also have had multiple Thorens turntables (one 125 II original, one 125 II with a 3009 tonearm, one 160 with Rega arm from Dave at Vinyl Nirvana), a Bogen/Lenco, and now a Clearaudio Concept wood. (Prior to the Dual, I had a Pro-ject Carbon Debut.) At this point, the Concept is my #1 turntable, but the Dual is connected to the same system and I continue to use it almost as much as the Concept. I find it almost impossible to imagine that a $500 current turntable could come anywhere near the Dual's performance. If purchasing a turntable from fixmydual.com would cost more than the Fluance, what about the possibility of sending in your 1229 for an overhaul? It may not get you too far ahead, but it could lend to your enjoying what you've got for a while.
So I have two setups. The Dual is upstairs connected to a pioneer sa9100 and kef q100/ elac debut speakers. I technically listen to the setup more. It is in my dining room/kitchen, so we listen while cooking/eating most meals and since I am working remotely I listen during work a decent amount. I do probably need to send the Dual in for an overhaul as there are some minor issues with the auto start/etc. but overall sounds great. So I need a second table for the downstairs setup which is why I am looking at the Fluance. I did quickly switch the Dual out earlier this evening into the downstairs system and the difference was shocking the Lintons sounded great but with the Dual it was so much better. I did reach out to fixmydual to see what he charges for one and we will see what he says. Theres a 1228 for sale in my area for $120 from someone who I have purchased from before not sure how that compares to the 1229.

I’d be very curious to check out the Debut Carbon Evo. Seems like a pretty solid table for $499. I’ve unfortunately had issues with motor hum, which it seems they’ve fixed, and tonearm wires, which they haven’t - they’re very thin and easy to damage.

I owned the RT85 and really enjoyed it. I probably would still have it if I hadn’t moved, and my buddy’s table broke right around the same time, so I sold it to him. It was dead quiet. Spot on accurate speed. Voiced nicely. Not a big soundstage, but a comfortable one, if that makes sense. Nicely balanced. My only complaint with it was it was particularly prone to static, especially at the beginning of a side. The arm was fine. Nothing amazing, but nothing detracting either. Tracked well.
Thanks.

Everything sounded great until the static. It must be the weather because I have been having crazy static the last couple weeks every time I touch the stereo or turntable I’m getting shocked. The evo is intriguing for that price. Part of it might just be my impatience as I have to wait another month for the Fluance and want something now. I also have heard so many mixed things about the 2M carts (mainly bad for red/good for blue) but I’m a little worried the best value on the Fluance is a cart that I might not like and wish I would have gone with something else. Really just pre buyers remorse. Like you said there is a decent return policy on it, so I can try it out and if I don’t like it send it right back.

Thanks.

Everything sounded great until the static. It must be the weather because I have been having crazy static the last couple weeks every time I touch the stereo or turntable I’m getting shocked. The evo is intriguing for that price. Part of it might just be my impatience as I have to wait another month for the Fluance and want something now. I also have heard so many mixed things about the 2M carts (mainly bad for red/good for blue) but I’m a little worried the best value on the Fluance is a cart that I might not like and wish I would have gone with something else. Really just pre buyers remorse. Like you said there is a decent return policy on it, so I can try it out and if I don’t like it send it right back.
I’d wait the month and give it a whirl. Or if you really wanna go crazy, wait for it to ship and then order the Evo from a retailer with a generous return policy - shoot em out!

Thanks.

Have you tried using a Milty Zerostat or a different turntable mat ? A good record cleaner can also help manage static. In my reserach some say a felt mat will add static. I will be comparing Felt, Leather, and Cork/Rubber composite mats in the future but mostly for sonics.

Also, if you do your own cleaning @HiFi Guy and @AnthonyI recommend some new cleaning solution to me to try that helped HFG's static issues. Chisto Easy Groove Concentrate I'm using up the Disc Doctor I have but plan on trying some when I run out.

Last edited:
So I have two setups. The Dual is upstairs connected to a pioneer sa9100 and kef q100/ elac debut speakers. I technically listen to the setup more. It is in my dining room/kitchen, so we listen while cooking/eating most meals and since I am working remotely I listen during work a decent amount. I do probably need to send the Dual in for an overhaul as there are some minor issues with the auto start/etc. but overall sounds great. So I need a second table for the downstairs setup which is why I am looking at the Fluance. I did quickly switch the Dual out earlier this evening into the downstairs system and the difference was shocking the Lintons sounded great but with the Dual it was so much better. I did reach out to fixmydual to see what he charges for one and we will see what he says. Theres a 1228 for sale in my area for $120 from someone who I have purchased from before not sure how that compares to the 1229.
I have a very soft spot for Duals. One difference with the 1228 is that the platter has a smaller diameter, 10+ inches vs 12 inches with the 1229 (and 1219); this leads to these platters having different weights as well, and I believe the larger/heavier platter is preferable. Here's a link to a great reference site for Dual turntables: Turntable Index Page It provides specs for just about every turntables Dual has manufactured over the years.

Having said all that, if the 1228 is in good shape and functioning well, I'd say it's a steal at $120, especially if it has a dust cover. :D You could slip it into your second setup and I'm guessing it would be an improvement. (Or you could put it upstairs and move the 1229 into your more dedicated listening space.)

Oh, and another nice thing about a good Dual turntable is that it will handle very good cartridges, meaning that the Duals are capable of rising to the quality of the carts you put on them. If you saved a good portion of your $500 going with a Dual, you could invest in a solid cartridge with what's left. I've used several Shure cartridges on my Dual 1219, the best being a V15 Type IV with Jico SAS stylus (current). I also have used a Denon DL 103R. The Dual has handled each of them very well.

Last edited:
I have a very soft spot for Duals. One difference with the 1228 is that the platter has a smaller diameter, 10+ inches vs 12 inches with the 1229 (and 1219); this leads to these platters having different weights as well, and I believe the larger/heavier platter is preferable. Here's a link to a great reference site for Dual turntables: Turntable Index Page It provides specs for just about every turntables Dual has manufactured over the years.

Having said all that, if the 1228 is in good shape and functioning well, I'd say it's a steal at $120, especially if it has a dust cover. :D You could slip it into your second setup and I'm guessing it would be an improvement. (Or you could put it upstairs and move the 1229 into your more dedicated listening space.)

Oh, and another nice thing about a good Dual turntable is that it will handle very good cartridges, meaning that the Duals are capable of rising to the quality of the carts you put on them. If you saved a good portion of your $500 going with a Dual, you could invest in a solid cartridge with what's left. I've used several Shure cartridges on my Dual 1219, the best being a V15 Type IV with Jico SAS stylus (current). I also have used a Denon DL 103R. The Dual has handled each of them very well.
Totally unhelpful, but I love the look of your Dual in the Now Spinning thread. Cracking table. Permanently switching my Lenco into my system over the weekend.

Despite having a VPI Scout now for main vinyl playback, I have a 1219 I have kept for 45/78, automated and beater duty. Doubt I will ever add a changer to it. Will be getting that back into the system when I get my room finalized in the coming months. and putting a Grado Black or vintage Shure with new Stylus on it. It's nice to have 2 phono inputs on my Mc amp :)

Last edited:
Its a DJ style table because it's been embraced by that group as such, but way before the PLX, it's weight and motor lend itself well to that DJ scene. BUT, those things are also pluses for an "Audiophile" table ;)

It's built like a tank, produces great sound, a great motor, has all the calibrations an audiophile turntable should have, and if you get cart happy, its a much easier venture. The PLX is every bit an audiophile deck, I've often said, ignore the DJ association and look at the table.

The non-hinged cover is a problem for some, but not a deal breaker in my opinion and I would ditch the rubber mat for something better ;)
It specs alot better than some similar range "audiophile" tables. IMO. I wish I'd gotten something like it instead of my U-turn special at the time.

It specs alot better than some similar range "audiophile" tables. IMO. I wish I'd gotten something like it instead of my U-turn special at the time.
I will say, I have a soft spot for the excitement in the sound of the Orbit. It’s a total blast to listen to sometimes. But on some records, it was tough for me not to fixate on its shortcomings, which were the motor and the wow & flutter, to my ear anyway.

I will say, I have a soft spot for the excitement in the sound of the Orbit. It’s a total blast to listen to sometimes. But on some records, it was tough for me not to fixate on its shortcomings, which were the motor and the wow & flutter, to my ear anyway.
I loved my Orbit, I take nothing away from it, but, over time you will see the shortcomings of all price points. Doesn't make the item a dud by any means, but, for the most part, there is a reason A costs this much and B costs that much.

In this hobby I've learned one thing, gear, pressings, cables and so on, regardless of the price point, you will have those who enjoy ABC and those who will have nothing but negatives for ABC, this goes for $100,000 systems as well.

I loved my Orbit, I take nothing away from it, but, over time you will see the shortcomings off all price points. Doesn't make the item a dud by any means, but, for the most part, there is a reason A costs this much and B costs that much.

Very well said, Anthony!

There have been times where I’ve pondered getting another Orbit for a second system just to say f it, I had some really great sessions with this table, I want to enjoy the simplicity of its sound again. Problem is when I spec one out, basically looking at negligible price difference for a PLX-1000.

Small gear update on my end - placed an order for an AT VM95ML, want to give it a whirl on the Cliffwood. Wanted to get an order in before the price increase, Musician’s Friend gave me a bit of a break when I called in, and was able to use a few rewards points dollars as well. Not in any rush, but it’s backordered til late March. I wonder if there’s a repackaging / new model number coming with that price increase, as well...

Small gear update on my end - placed an order for an AT VM95ML, want to give it a whirl on the Cliffwood. Wanted to get an order in before the price increase, Musician’s Friend gave me a bit of a break when I called in, and was able to use a few rewards points dollars as well. Not in any rush, but it’s backordered til late March. I wonder if there’s a repackaging / new model number coming with that price increase, as well...
Interesting. You can still buy it on Amazon but yeah I noticed it's OOS on the AT website. I'm interested in the stylus only, but don't need it right away. We'll see in march then.

Back