Equipment Recommendations - The Home For New System and Upgrade Advice

I loved my Orbit, I take nothing away from it, but, over time you will see the shortcomings of all price points. Doesn't make the item a dud by any means, but, for the most part, there is a reason A costs this much and B costs that much.

In this hobby I've learned one thing, gear, pressings, cables and so on, regardless of the price point, you will have those who enjoy ABC and those who will have nothing but negatives for ABC, this goes for $100,000 systems as well.

Anyone else find it odd they have not done a MK2, or upgraded Orbit model yet ? I know they sell a ton of them as is but you would think they would of come out with something new by now. Mine was handed down to a friend who enjoys it once a week or so.

Interesting. You can still buy it on Amazon but yeah I noticed it's OOS on the AT website. I'm interested in the stylus only, but don't need it right away. We'll see in march then.
Yeah, I’m assuming they’re working on a new production batch right now and they’ll be shipped over when finished. Just curious if somehow they’ll change one letter of the model number, up the price, and my order won’t work for the “new” model 😂

Anyone else find it odd they have not done a MK2, or upgraded Orbit model yet ? I know they sell a ton of them as is but you would think they would of come out with something new by now. Mine was handed down to a friend who enjoys it once a week or so.
They sort of did do a mk 2 when they changed the arm over to a gimbal from a unipivot, but I hear you. I feel like a more robust option could be fantastic coming from them.

It seems the one complaint about direct drive turntables unless it's like a used technics is that they are more noisy and you pick up less nuances, do you agree? I guess the Pioneer isn't like that when everyone stans it

It seems the one complaint about direct drive turntables unless it's like a used technics is that they are more noisy and you pick up less nuances, do you agree? I guess the Pioneer isn't like that when everyone stans it
A poorly made DD table can absolutely have a noisy motor, the PLX-1000 is not one of those.

I think what listeners mean when you say “less nuance” is that a DD has a quicker presentation of the music, that is to say, not laid back, or more ”forward.” Just looking at the sculpture from a different viewpoint, so to speak!

A poorly made DD table can absolutely have a noisy motor, the PLX-1000 is not one of those.

I think what listeners mean when you say “less nuance” is that a DD has a quicker presentation of the music, that is to say, not laid back, or more ”forward.” Just looking at the sculpture from a different viewpoint, so to speak!
thanks. i did hear that say the AT-LP 120 is the issue of noisy motor, but stuff like a technics and a PLX-1000 don't have it (yet it seems most audiophile journalists that aren't steve guttenberg and herb ignore them for every other belt drive)... the only other thing I have heard as a negative about direct drive beyond adding rumbles and motor work because of the high torque is the idea that even though you have to replace the belt on a turntable occasionally, there are a lot less possible hardware failures on a belt turntable that could cause a malfunction, at least that's what I have read

thanks. i did hear that say the AT-LP 120 is the issue of noisy motor, but stuff like a technics and a PLX-1000 don't have it (yet it seems most audiophile journalists that aren't steve guttenberg and herb ignore them for every other belt drive)... the only other thing I have heard as a negative about direct drive beyond adding rumbles and motor work because of the high torque is the idea that even though you have to replace the belt on a turntable occasionally, there are a lot less possible hardware failures on a belt turntable that could cause a malfunction, at least that's what I have read
Absolutely, a belt drive typically is a much simpler device, and certainly a user serviceable one. If something electronic goes awry on a DD, that likely means you‘re sending your table in for repair.

Also, I think a direct drive is more likely to cause hum in a Grado because the motor is right under the platter, instead of the corner.
That said, there are DD turntables that don't interfere with Grados, like the Technics 1200 series.
Didn't @RichGrado say the series 3 cartriges don't hum any more? This whole post might be a moot point going forward!

Also, I think a direct drive is more likely to cause hum in a Grado because the motor is right under the platter, instead of the corner.
That said, there are DD turntables that don't interfere with Grados, like the Technics 1200 series.
Didn't @RichGrado say the series 3 cartriges don't hum any more? This whole post might be a moot point going forward!

We have a fair few on here who have used both The 2 and 3 series prestige on the plx and I’ve not seen reports of hum.

Last edited:
No hum here ;)
20210213_102404.jpg

After stepping away from a DD since December, I really do miss it. Not to say that I’m unhappy with my MoFi, but the Pioneer(PL-530) just has more character. I never encountered or heard any noises or motor rumbling in any system incarnation.
However, when it was running through the Mani, there were all kinds of pre and post music thumps and interference omitting from that table. I believe that from the ancient cables including the ground wire because the MoFi was super quiet when running with the Mani. Once the repair shop that I want to use opens back up, I plan on talking it in and having its current issues resolved and I will see how much it
will be to upgrade the cables.

In this hobby I've learned one thing, gear, pressings, cables and so on, regardless of the price point, you will have those who enjoy ABC and those who will have nothing but negatives for ABC, this goes for $100,000 systems as well.
This is true. Everyone has their own taste, and that's ok. For example, earlier this week I got to spend some time listening to a $50-60K system. Technically very impressive. Anyone would be thrilled to own this gear. VPI, Soundsmith, Parasound phono, McIntosh separates, Legacy Audio Focus SE, Rel subs. Really stunning.

But having said all that, if it was my money I would have spent it differently. It just wasn't the sound I'm after. People need to spend less time finding "best" and more time figuring out the sound that they enjoy.

I loved my Orbit, I take nothing away from it, but, over time you will see the shortcomings of all price points. Doesn't make the item a dud by any means, but, for the most part, there is a reason A costs this much and B costs that much.

Owner of my hi-fi store told me, it’s all about finding the rig with the most forgivable shortcomings, because no rig will be perfect. I thought once I upgrade to a Technics or Ultradeck then I will never have to deal with the paranoia of “What’s that I hear, is that my cart, my stylus, my speakers, my preamp, my amp, my deck, my isolation feet, the record, or how I cleaned it?!!??” He said this as he was tweaking an $80,000 system to try and remove and abundance of inner groove distortion. 😫😫😫

Owner of my hi-fi store told me, it’s all about finding the rig with the most forgivable shortcomings, because no rig will be perfect. I thought once I upgrade to a Technics or Ultradeck then I will never have to deal with the paranoia of “What’s that I hear, is that my cart, my stylus, my speakers, my preamp, my amp, my deck, my isolation feet, the record, or how I cleaned it?!!??” He said this as he was tweaking an $80,000 system to try and remove and abundance of inner groove distortion. 😫😫😫
Completely, and as crazy as it sounds, I'm just now feeling like I have the perfect rig for me. :)

I decided to revisit my room correction software and target curves today. If you don't hear from me in several days, call for a welfare check.
I love my system, but I'm tweaking because THERE IS SOMETHING I NOW DO NOT LIKE AND I DON'T KNOW WHAT IT IS AND IT WILL DRIVE ME MAD UNTIL I FIGURE IT OUT

it never ends...

Had a Darlington MM-6 revelation this morning. Spun my '71 Decca press of Who's Next, which I had thought was a mediocre pressing, kinda dull and lifeless. I was wrong. The Darlington revealed a fuller, richer sound, pulling details out of the grooves that were missing before. Pete's slashing guitar and warm vocals, Roger's crescendos, Keith's frenzied bashing, John's steady and fluid grooves, all present and accounted for. Going to have to revisit some other older LPs that I didn't think much of to see if there's more there.

Had a Darlington MM-6 revelation this morning. Spun my '71 Decca press of Who's Next, which I had thought was a mediocre pressing, kinda dull and lifeless. I was wrong. The Darlington revealed a fuller, richer sound, pulling details out of the grooves that were missing before. Pete's piercing guitar and vocals, Roger's crescendos, Keith's frenzied bashing, John's steady and fluid grooves, all present and accounted for. Going to have to revisit some other older LPs that I didn't think much of to see if there's more there.
It is kind of crazy what certain pieces can do, the Manley and Denon have done that in spades in my collection.........and when you can achieve that with an "affordable" component, even better ;)

It is kind of crazy what certain pieces can do, the Manley and Denon have done that in spades in my collection.........and when you can achieve that with an "affordable" component, even better ;)
I have to say after I got everything dialed in the first time, and I ran A Moon Shaped Pool expecting the usual garbage and it actually sounded... good and... dynamic... I was floored...

Had a Darlington MM-6 revelation this morning. Spun my '71 Decca press of Who's Next, which I had thought was a mediocre pressing, kinda dull and lifeless. I was wrong. The Darlington revealed a fuller, richer sound, pulling details out of the grooves that were missing before. Pete's slashing guitar and warm vocals, Roger's crescendos, Keith's frenzied bashing, John's steady and fluid grooves, all present and accounted for. Going to have to revisit some other older LPs that I didn't think much of to see if there's more there.

This is a good sign, as you all know, I have found upgrading components can sometimes do the reverse and bring out the imperfections on most normal pressings, then you find yourself listening to the same 10-20 audiophile pressings all the time and that's no way to enjoy the hobby.

My Mc has pretty good phono preamp circuits but I might look at upgrading to a external phono stage if I can find the right one. The Darlington, Hagerman, Graham Slee, Parks, Tavish, Ear 834p and Conrad Johnson clones are all ones I have bookmarked. But this will be later into the year for my system.

Last edited:
Back