Equipment Recommendations - The Home For New System and Upgrade Advice

So I'm in the hunt for an amp upgrade. Thinking of the Arcam SA 20 or Rega Elex R.

Thoughts?

Current set up

T/T - Pro-Ject Debut Carbon with acrylic platter

Cartridge - Ortofon 2m Blue

Phono Stage - MoFi Ultra Phono

Speakers - Dali Menuet

Amp - Denon PM520AE

So I'm in the hunt for an amp upgrade. Thinking of the Arcam SA 20 or Rega Elex R.

Thoughts?

Current set up

Speakers - Dali Menuet

Amp - Denon PM520AE

So we are in the £1000 price range give or take?

Edit: That's kind of a weird price point. There should be tons of amps to choose from, but there aren't. What about the Marantz PM- 8006?

Arcam isn't very popular here in the States, so no opinion or experience. Sorry.

The Rega is a nice amp as well.

Last edited:
@Mather has an Arcam if I recall correctly. He can share his opinions, I don't want to speak for him.

From the two you listed, I'd be going with Rega. The price point is better over there, it's a highly respected unit, and they have a huge dealer network and great resale if you upgrade later or have any issues.

Thoughts?

Current set up

Speakers - Dali Menuet

Amp - Denon PM520AE

I haven’t heard the Arcam but did listen to the Elex R at my local paired with Totem Hawks. Had a really nice sound. Open, slightly warm maybe. I’d recommend a listen.

Thoughts?

Current set up

Speakers - Dali Menuet

Amp - Denon PM520AE

Cloney out in Blackrock stock both Arcam and Rega products. They’re really nice people (i bought a whole load of cables off them in January) and I’m sure if you rang them in advance that they’d arrange a demo for you of those two and perhaps a couple more you hadn’t thought of in your price range. They may also let you bring your phono stage in too so it can give you a better idea.

The only issue is parking in Blackrock is a bitch haha!

Thoughts?

Current set up

Speakers - Dali Menuet

Amp - Denon PM520AE

I've got the Rega Elex-R. I've had it about 2 months now, having upgraded from a Marantz PM6006. Personally I think the amp is simply superb. I demo'd a number of other amps, including; Rega Brio (nice but not as much punch and weight as the Elex) and the Naim 5si (lovely but a little clinical for me).

For me the Rega looks nice and clean, and doesn't waste money on bells and whistles that I don't need.

I got the Marantz PM8006 and I really enjoy it. I got it off ebay from Safe and Sound refurb for like $800 during an ebay electronic sale. It looked brand new in every way and would cosign that dealer. Ebay runs 20% sales randomly if you time it right.

Last edited:
This is a purely speculative question, since I don't know if I am insane enough to do it, but I reasoned that I may have enough room on my desk at work to set up my backup AT-LP120 so I could listen to records when I am work. I'd have to do it through headphones, so would I need to get a headphone amp for that? If so, what's a good budget priced (sub-$100, preferably) headphone amp?

This is a purely speculative question, since I don't know if I am insane enough to do it, but I reasoned that I may have enough room on my desk at work to set up my backup AT-LP120 so I could listen to records when I am work. I'd have to do it through headphones, so would I need to get a headphone amp for that? If so, what's a good budget priced (sub-$100, preferably) headphone amp?

You would. Have you looked a schitt’s website, they do a headphone amp that’s roughly in that bracket.

Thoughts?

Current set up

Speakers - Dali Menuet

Amp - Denon PM520AE
I have run Dynaudio speakers for some time. They are hard to drive and limited to certain amps. Not sure how the Dali's are, but that is one thing to consider. I got down to 2 amps late last year - the new Parasound Halo's and Musical Fidelity MS line. I went balls to the wall and got the MS6si. I wanted something that had come down in price and the new Halo's were just getting in the market.

Thoughts?

Current set up

Speakers - Dali Menuet

Amp - Denon PM520AE

I've got the Arcam 550 and I like it although really it's an entirely different beast than the SA 20. Sooooo I can't really say whether it would be a better buy than your other options. But I agree that if you can give them a listen that's the best bet. I'm running a Ort Black and a Rega Aria stage so my system is very neutral, I upgraded to BIS Vivat cables in order to warm everything up a little so that worked out well for me.

i'm a total noob when it comes to the tech side of things but had a question.in my bedroom setup i'm using the Dayton Audio DTA-120BT Class D Mini Amp Output power: 60 watts RMS x 2 @ 4 ohms for my speakers i'm using the Pioneer SP-BS22-LR Nominal Impedance 6 ohms speakers.my question is how many true watts rms are my speakers putting out.

i'm a total noob when it comes to the tech side of things but had a question.in my bedroom setup i'm using the Dayton Audio DTA-120BT Class D Mini Amp Output power: 60 watts RMS x 2 @ 4 ohms for my speakers i'm using the Pioneer SP-BS22-LR Nominal Impedance 6 ohms speakers.my question is how many true watts rms are my speakers putting out.

Your amp most likely is putting out around 40 watts per channel into 6 ohms.

Thoughts?

Current set up

Speakers - Dali Menuet

Amp - Denon PM520AE

I’m biased as I have a Rega Brio-R in my office setup and thinks it’s a great little amp. So I’d probably recommend the Rega, but also mention the Yamaha A-S801. Those Yammy Integrated’s are pretty killer.

Back