Equipment Recommendations - The Home For New System and Upgrade Advice

Very well said, Anthony!

There have been times where I’ve pondered getting another Orbit for a second system just to say f it, I had some really great sessions with this table, I want to enjoy the simplicity of its sound again. Problem is when I spec one out, basically looking at negligible price difference for a PLX-1000.
This is the thing. If I had gotten a PLX-1000 for the bit more money (not much), I would have had no limitations to upgrade other parts. I had a ceiling past the 2m Blue. Black revealed the anti-skate weakness, and to this day I have albums I played with the 2M Black during that time which have inner groove distortion because it was not adjustable. I didn't know it at the time.

Seeking some insight. So I recently upgraded my Cartridge to a Nagaoka MP-110h and while it sounds amazing, I have noticed some static charge issues every now and again on a record that sounds flawless I will get a loud POP. I am fairly certain it’s a issue with static discharge because if I pick up the tonearm are replay in the same spot on the record it will play without issue. I didn’t have this issue with my AT95E. Any Ideas, adjustments I could make? I have the recommended tracking force (between 1.5 and 2 grams) close to the max. Would lightening it up a bit help? Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks!

Seeking some insight. So I recently upgraded my Cartridge to a Nagaoka MP-110h and while it sounds amazing, I have noticed some static charge issues every now and again on a record that sounds flawless I will get a loud POP. I am fairly certain it’s a issue with static discharge because if I pick up the tonearm are replay in the same spot on the record it will play without issue. I didn’t have this issue with my AT95E. Any Ideas, adjustments I could make? I have the recommended tracking force (between 1.5 and 2 grams) close to the max. Would lightening it up a bit help? Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks!
I used to get that every so often and have taken note that during the winter when it's dryer, I clean my albums before spinning and that takes care of it, I'll usually only clean as needed, but that seemed to fix the issue during winter months, doesn't happen in the summer. I can't remember if you have an RCM or not.

I've found a (cover your ears, Joe Mac) ZeroStat helps with those sort of charge issues without the time involved in a wet clean.
I’m a bit of a static factory of a human being. Hate that damn useless thing but I’ve found that sleeving in antistatic sleeves after cleaning and a 20 second brunch with a carbon fibre antistatic brunch on the spinning platter before I drop the needle to be really effective.

I find it weirdly funny that for the things I do spend money on in this hobby, I have a hard time dropping the coin on a ZeroStat :)

For something that only cost me €60 it says something for me to say that I comsider it the biggest waste of money purchase I’ve made in this hobby.

I used to get that every so often and have taken note that during the winter when it's dryer, I clean my albums before spinning and that takes care of it, I'll usually only clean as needed, but that seemed to fix the issue during winter months, doesn't happen in the summer. I can't remember if you have an RCM or not.
I have a spin doctor but I kinda hate it. Am pretty lazy and impatient. I usually have a record cleaning solution I concocted a cleaning solution of Purified water, isopropyl alcohol and Woolite detergent that I will spray exceptionally dirty LPs and wipe clean with a washed, clean microfiber towel but these haven’t been exceptionally dirty records so I have not been going out of my way to clean them.

Milty Zerostat gun, not cheap but comes in handy especially in the dry winter.

Table mats can effect static. Many think Felt is the worse. There are alternatives to try like Cork, Cork/Rubber Composite, Leather, Acrylic, etc.

As I mentioned somewhere else around here @HiFi Guy and @AnthonyI turned me on to this record wash Chisto Easy Groove Concentrate that cleared up HFG's static issues.

Table mats can effect static. Many think Felt is the worse. There are alternatives to try like Cork, Cork/Rubber Composite, Leather, Acrylic, etc.

As I mentioned somewhere else around here @HiFi Guy and @AnthonyI turned me on to this record wash Chisto Easy Groove Concentrate that cleared up HFG's static issues.
Yeah, I am using a cork mat currently. I just had never had the issue previously so I was curious if the amount of tracking force potentially has an effect on static. More force, more friction, more static, maybe? I just lightened it a quarter of a gram, let’s see how that tracks.

Think I will pick up this solution. Been having a lot of static created from cleaning since I got my spin clean! Would I essentially use this in place of their solution? Drop a cap of the distilled solution over the cleaning pads?

Also, anyone have some lint free gentle cleaning cloths they recommend?

Yeah, I am using a cork mat currently. I just had never had the issue previously so I was curious if the amount of tracking force potentially has an effect on static. More force, more friction, more static, maybe? I just lightened it a quarter of a gram, let’s see how that tracks.
I had to clean my mp200 every single time I used it. It's ridiculous. I'm pretty clean but it just seemed to attach every bit of dust about. When I took it off the table I checked the base of the cart and it was disgusting. No such problems with the AT

Well a
I had to clean my mp200 every single time I used it. It's ridiculous. I'm pretty clean but it just seemed to attach every bit of dust about. When I took it off the table I checked the base of the cart and it was disgusting. No such problems with the AT
Ugh, that sounds like my nightmare. Part of the reason I went with the MP-110 was because most of the reviews I’d read stated they were a fairly unfussy work horse of a cartridge. I guess everyone’s results will vary. I just started on side 3 of Destroyer Kaputt since changing the tracking force; so far, so good. There is a tiny bit of static but nothing like the shot gun pops I was getting previously, hopefully this will do the trick.

For a SpinClean and derivatives alternative: Record Doctor V Vacuum Cleaning Machine, $199 at all the usual places (but do not order from Amz they do not double box). The vacuum does much better job cleaning gunk in the grooves.

Works great for me, did not see any need for the VI for $100 more, came with cleaning fluid to do over 100 lp's so far. I also ordered 2 Mofi Brushes for deeper hand scrubbing.

Last edited:
Back