Equipment Recommendations - The Home For New System and Upgrade Advice

Thanks! I got a killer deal on these Concerta 2 F36!! 45% off the retail price of $2,800. 😃
Glad to see you got them on a good sale. I think most of the affordable and mid-range speakers coming out of Harman are a little steep for what they are, but when the sales hit, it's good value for the taking.

3x 6.5" drivers should give you plenty of oomph once you get them hooked up! Just make sure you give that port plenty of room to breath.

Hey everyone.

So I currently have a 2 channel set up with the items in my signature. I've been watching movies and tv more and more in my work/record room and am really thinking about turning it into a 5.0 or maybe 7.0 (possibly 5.2 or 7.2 down the line).

These speakers really suck up a lot of power but I love the way they sound. So my question is...

What receiver would you folks recommend for home theater use? I have a separate phono stage that I can hook up to the new receiver if it's not equipped with one so that's not a big deal. the NR1200 pushes 75 Watts and I would say it does the job well for my R300's but again it's just a 2 channel receiver. I'll probably end up picking up a KEF center channel. (this is what i'm really hoping to integrate sooner than later)

As far as budget goes...I don't want to cheap out on a receiver but I don't want to spend money just to spend it. What will get the job done? I currently run a denon receiver in the living room with Klipsch speakers and love it. So I'm open to Denon and Marantz. Other ideas?

ALSO, I don't mind going used. Most of my stuff is second hand or refurbished anyways. The only thing I actually purchased new is the Marantz NR1200.

Hey everyone.

So I currently have a 2 channel set up with the items in my signature. I've been watching movies and tv more and more in my work/record room and am really thinking about turning it into a 5.0 or maybe 7.0 (possibly 5.2 or 7.2 down the line).

These speakers really suck up a lot of power but I love the way they sound. So my question is...

What receiver would you folks recommend for home theater use? I have a separate phono stage that I can hook up to the new receiver if it's not equipped with one so that's not a big deal. the NR1200 pushes 75 Watts and I would say it does the job well for my R300's but again it's just a 2 channel receiver. I'll probably end up picking up a KEF center channel. (this is what i'm really hoping to integrate sooner than later)

As far as budget goes...I don't want to cheap out on a receiver but I don't want to spend money just to spend it. What will get the job done? I currently run a denon receiver in the living room with Klipsch speakers and love it. So I'm open to Denon and Marantz. Other ideas?

ALSO, I don't mind going used. Most of my stuff is second hand or refurbished anyways. The only thing I actually purchased new is the Marantz NR1200.

If you don't mind a mess of cabling, you can do what I did: use an amplifier switch. I have my L/R channels running into the switch along with both my stereo and HT amplifiers. The center/surrounds go directly into the HT amp. So when I listen to vinyl, I switch the mains to my dedicated tube amp and spin away.

It's a couple extra sets of speaker cables, but it works nicely.

If you don't mind a mess of cabling, you can do what I did: use an amplifier switch. I have my L/R channels running into the switch along with both my stereo and HT amplifiers. The center/surrounds go directly into the HT amp. So when I listen to vinyl, I switch the mains to my dedicated tube amp and spin away.

It's a couple extra sets of speaker cables, but it works nicely.

This sounds kind of interesting. I never really thought of this. I do have an abundance of custom cables already good to go...

Any recs for an RCA cable Y adapter (male to dual female)? Looking to split my phono stage output. Was planning on placing an order with Blue Jean for a stereo RCA and digital coax cables but don’t see that they sell Ys.

do you think the schiit magni 3+ or the liquid spark would be a better headphone exclusive amplifier, in the headphone department im either going with sennheiser 6XX (only problem is they are a little too relaxed), hifiman sundaras, or grado SR80.. but i felt like the amplification on the speakers just weren't enough

do you think the schiit magni 3+ or the liquid spark would be a better headphone exclusive amplifier, in the headphone department im either going with sennheiser 6XX (only problem is they are a little too relaxed), hifiman sundaras, or grado SR80.. but i felt like the amplification on the speakers just weren't enough

I like the Schiit, it’s made in the US, it sounds great, and the build quality is solid.

I have the Heresy and it works like a charm.

So I just got a Mani. Turntable cables are plugged into the In side. RCA cables plugged into the Out and go into the phono of my receiver. Sounds like crap. Switch cables to Aux and it’s working. Is that right?

So I just got a Mani. Turntable cables are plugged into the In side. RCA cables plugged into the Out and go into the phono of my receiver. Sounds like crap. Switch cables to Aux and it’s working. Is that right?

Yes. You had 2 phono stages in-line when you hooked it to phono. No bueno.

If you are using an external pre, don't plug it into your phono on the receiver. Plug it into one of the Aux

Absolutely right! The phono on your receiver is also a phono stage so you’re applying the amplification curve twice. Once you’re using an outboard it has be connected to any other input than phono.

Yes. You had 2 phono stages in-line when you hooked it to phono. No bueno.

If you are using an external pre, don't plug it into your phono on the receiver. Plug it into one of the Aux

Absolutely right! The phono on your receiver is also a phono stage so you’re applying the amplification curve twice. Once you’re using an outboard it has be connected to any other input than phono.

Jinx!

Back