Equipment Recommendations - The Home For New System and Upgrade Advice

Ok, so I've been looking at alternatives to my Rega RP3 with no real intention of buying but i ended up in a conversation with a guy who runs events . He bought a couple of Technics (including a few 1210GRs still sealed in all the factory wrapping) to use over the summer and autumn but Corvid has totally destroyed his work for the whole year so I bought one of his 1210s of him for £1000 (which is about $1300). Basically, if I can clear half of that for my RP3 then i'll be happy I've done ok and not made a horrible decision

I'm trying to work out what to do about carts as there isn't one on the 1210 yet. My immediate options are the Nag 200 that has been on my rega for about 4 years, the ATVM740ML that came from amazon yesterday that i'd planned to replace the nag with or I send the AT back, sell the nag with the Rega and buy something else for around the £300 mark. Has anyone got a Technics that they've matched out particularly well with a cart? Is the AT a good fit for example?

Ok, so I've been looking at alternatives to my Rega RP3 with no real intention of buying but i ended up in a conversation with a guy who runs events . He bought a couple of Technics (including a few 1210GRs still sealed in all the factory wrapping) to use over the summer and autumn but Corvid has totally destroyed his work for the whole year so I bought one of his 1210s of him for £1000 (which is about $1300). Basically, if I can clear half of that for my RP3 then i'll be happy I've done ok and not made a horrible decision

I'm trying to work out what to do about carts as there isn't one on the 1210 yet. My immediate options are the Nag 200 that has been on my rega for about 4 years, the ATVM740ML that came from amazon yesterday that i'd planned to replace the nag with or I send the AT back, sell the nag with the Rega and buy something else for around the £300 mark. Has anyone got a Technics that they've matched out particularly well with a cart? Is the AT a good fit for example?

Not matched with a technics but the Grado Opus3 at £265 is an exceptional cart for the money.

Not matched with a technics but the Grado Opus3 at £265 is an exceptional cart for the money.

Is it made of wood? The closest place I can seem to find that stocks it is Torino too. Is there a dealer in Dublin?

Is it made of wood? The closest place I can seem to find that stocks it is Torino too. Is there a dealer in Dublin?

It is it’s made of maple. I got it from a dealer in Scotland.

There is a high and low voltage option. I got the low voltage but the high is more flexible. For the low you need a phono stage that is good enough to provide enough gain whilst not adding additional noise.

It is it’s made of maple. I got it from a dealer in Scotland.

There is a high and low voltage option. I got the low voltage but the high is more flexible. For the low you need a phono stage that is good enough to provide enough gain whilst not adding additional noise.

I'd need a step up stage to go super low I think. Pretty sure my range is 2 to 10. Or that might just be for MC. Bugger. Going to have to dig out the instructions.

Cool man. I'll have a look. Pretty sure I've used Scott Nagle before

I'd need a step up stage to go super low I think. Pretty sure my range is 2 to 10. Or that might just be for MC. Bugger. Going to have to dig out the instructions.

Cool man. I'll have a look. Pretty sure I've used Scott Nagle before

Yeah he can be a bit weird and sometimes you need to prod him for info if it’s not in stock right away but he stocks this stuff no one else in the uk does and he’s always come through with my orders quickly once they’re in stock.

Yeah he can be a bit weird and sometimes you need to prod him for info if it’s not in stock right away but he stocks this stuff no one else in the uk does and he’s always come through with my orders quickly once they’re in stock.

At 1mV it isn’t super low by MC standards tbh, it’d just need to have 47k ohms option. it’s just if you are running it as an MM the stage will need enough gain to make it work.

Did anything in budget catch your fancy?
I wouldn't necessarily say in budget but yes the B&W 603 S2 Anniversary Edition are a thing to behold. They are sleek and stylish 😎 and sound fabulous! Not too bright, not too warm. A nice neutral sound with loads of detail, and an imersive soundstage. Very articulate with the ability to handle the dynamic shifts and flows. They really made the vocals shine and brought the accuracy and musicality home. 👌 I told him I would sleep 💤 on it 😆

Last edited:

I run a Grado Gold3 to great results on my SL 1200

I wouldn't necessarily say in budget but yes the B&W 603 S2 Anniversary Edition are a thing to behold. They are sleek and stylish 😎 and sound fabulous! Not too bright, not too warm. A nice neutral sound with loads of detail, and an imersive soundstage. Very articulare with the ability to handle the dynamic shifts and flows. They really made the vocals shine and brought the accuracy and musicality home. 👌 I told him I would sleep 💤 on it 😆

Not too bright- this will depend on amplification. They certainly can be, depending.

Not too warm. True. They won’t be very far on the warm scale regardless of what you drive them with.

I have secured the funds 💰 for the purchase of a brand new turntable. 😃 I just may not have enough to buy the Project X2 which I was pretty set on. That being said, I'll probably get the X1 which is no slouch either and is superior to the Carbon Debut. As well, I'm exploring the possibility of upgrading to floorstanders from my bookshelf speakers 🔊 but shopping for a good pair of loudspeakers is proving to be daunting.

So turns out this local guy I know that's been in the audio/video industry for more than 25 years just started his own company earlier this year. I stumbled upon his business page on Facebook and Instagram last night and now we're talking business. 🤑

I’d still jump on those Klipsch Fortes before someone else does.

He can get me a pair of Totem Sky Towers (Satin white) in mint condition for $1,750 and they come with full warranty. These floorstanding speakers 🔊 retail at $2,500 + tax. A savings of $847.50! I'm going to go and check them out later this aft. 😃
Sky Tower-White (Pair)

Last edited:
He can get me a pair of Totem Sky Towers (Satin white) in mint condition for $1,750 and they come with full warranty. These floorstanding speakers 🔊 retail at $2,500 + tax. A savings of $847.50! I'm going to go and check them out later this aft. 😃

They're cool, but I'm fairly confident the Fortes will demolish them for rock/pop listening, especially at high volume.

edit: ah

Back