Equipment Recommendations - The Home For New System and Upgrade Advice

I gather the sumiko can be better but their batches aren’t necessarily consistent in QC. The ortofons are at least consistent but I’d be looking at a blue stylus for the 2M silver right off the bat.

Totally agree. To me, the difference between a Red (or a Silver, same thing basically) and a Blue is stark. I actually really enjoy the Blue. Common complaints are that it’s a bit sterile, and has too much emphasis on the hi end, but instrument separation is quite good. @Hollywood

Totally agree. To me, the difference between a Red (or a Silver, same thing basically) and a Blue is stark. I actually really enjoy the Blue. Common complaints are that it’s a bit sterile, and has too much emphasis on the hi end, but instrument separation is quite good. @Hollywood

Yeah I liked the blue for a good while. When I stepped up the amplification it became a bit sharp but for the longest time I was quite impressed by it, especially in relation to the red.

Yeah I liked the blue for a good while. When I stepped up the amplification it became a bit sharp but for the longest time I was quite impressed by it, especially in relation to the red.

I could totally see (err, hear) that. I’m a long time active speaker user, (audio engineer, my ears are used to it) and I find the Blue to play really well with that kind of a listening environment. I’ve heard such conflicting views on the Bronze, never put in the coin to see what it does. Seems like potential diminishing returns at that point with what they cost here in the US.

I could totally see (err, hear) that. I’m a long time active speaker user, (audio engineer, my ears are used to it) and I find the Blue to play really well with that kind of a listening environment. I’ve heard such conflicting views on the Bronze, never put in the coin to see what it does. Seems like potential diminishing returns at that point with what they cost here in the US.

I liked my Bronze. It’s got oodles of detail and tracks insanely well, but as is a common complaint with Ortofon, it is a bit...analytical.

How much are they in the U.S.? Here in Canada you're looking at $400 for the stylus alone.

True but if I wanted analytical I’d have a system based on hi res and DSD, not vinyl.
And my system would still beat that with vinyl.
There's a difference between accurate and analytical, and cold and lifeless digital.

Back