Equipment Recommendations - The Home For New System and Upgrade Advice

Eventually, yes. Currently one is for 33 and one is for 45. I like how easy that makes it since both tables are a pain to change.

Most affordable solution:
One phono stage, and you move cables and charge settings with each table.

Second most affordable:
You have two carts that can put out the same output after the MM goes there a set up transformer. But you’d still need to move the cables with each table to bring the SUT in/out of the chain.

Easiest option, potentially most expensive:
Get a phono with two inputs and a channel/setting switch, as others have mentioned.

Second easiest option, could cost more or less based on product selection and cables:
Get a phono for EACH table. Then run each phono into its own channel on your amp. Then it’s just a switch of the input on your amp.

That’s all the angles I can think of.
Personally I’d sell a table to get the most out of my budget. I’m not the type to split up budget to have options. But I know others are.

Thanks for the many suggestions. I do think I'm mostly convinced on the preamp I'm going with, the issue really was more over the question of using a SUT to an MM configuration or getting the MC version. I may still change my mind and go with something different, but I'm not sure I want to go with anything I haven't demoed or at least heard, even if not on my system. Thankfully I have a few months before I plan to pull the trigger so I might still be able to check out some other options.

i think id probably look at a phono that has two inputs, like the one i have and a few other mobile fidelity and pro-ject ones. Can flick a switch between the two and quickly switch the settings.
The Mudical Fidelity M6x Vinyl was awesome, and I used it for just this situation. Front panel adjustments and memory for each cart type…think it would be set and forget in this case.

*sorry. Just saw that you’re set on the Graham Slee.

The Mudical Fidelity M6x Vinyl was awesome, and I used it for just this situation. Front panel adjustments and memory for each cart type…think it would be set and forget in this case.

*sorry. Just saw that you’re set on the Graham Slee.
I might still change my mind, but I really like how it sounds. More than most I've checked out.

Thanks for the many suggestions. I do think I'm mostly convinced on the preamp I'm going with, the issue really was more over the question of using a SUT to an MM configuration or getting the MC version.
Unless you plan to go MC only using this phono, then the SUT option is the way to go. Alternatively to a SUT, you could consider the Graham Slee Elevator EXP - MC Step-up headamp. Personally, I’d prefer a SUT to a headamp for lower noise, but SUTs can sometimes cause ground loops that are hard to chase down.

You can easily go from a dedicated MM phono to a MC setup, but you cannot easily go from a dedicated MC phono to MM.

Unless you plan to go MC only using this phono, then the SUT option is the way to go. Alternatively to a SUT, you could consider the Graham Slee Elevator EXP - MC Step-up headamp. Personally, I’d prefer a SUT to a headamp for lower noise, but SUTs can sometimes cause ground loops that are hard to chase down.

You can easily go from a dedicated MM phono to a MC setup, but you cannot easily go from a dedicated MC phono to MM.
Thanks for this! It's what I was a bit unsure I was fully understanding, but aligns with what I thought.

I have an idea of what I'd like my system to eventually be, so I'm more interesting in buying pieces that I love and can fit into my "end game" vision than in getting gear that solves a problem but doesn't scratch the upgrade itch right. Might be silly, but this is where I can indulge my irrational desires.

After reading what Graham Slee has to say about its Elevator headamp, it gives me pause. The comments about SUT hum, DC/low frequency input and excitation current are all misleading. Not completely false, but misapplied when talking about signals from MC cartridges.

I certainly hope that they do a better job with their engineering than their marketing.

After reading what Graham Slee has to say about its Elevator headamp, it gives me pause. The comments about SUT hum, DC/low frequency input and excitation current are all misleading. Not completely false, but misapplied when talking about signals from MC cartridges.

I certainly hope that they do a better job with their engineering than their marketing.
They don't really market at all, and Graham talks a lot about how he doesn't think MC cartridge offer any advantage over MM cartridges. His approach is pretty different in design for a phono stage than any other that I've come across. While the layman's explanation of it makes sense to me, I can't say that I understand the engineering logic well enough to defend anything. I only know that when I've compared the Accession to the other units I was interested in, it sounded like another stratosphere.

They don't really market at all, and Graham talks a lot about how he doesn't think MC cartridge offer any advantage over MM cartridges. His approach is pretty different in design for a phono stage than any other that I've come across. While the layman's explanation of it makes sense to me, I can't say that I understand the engineering logic well enough to defend anything. I only know that when I've compared the Accession to the other units I was interested in, it sounded like another stratosphere.
I agree that MC’s offer few if any advantages over MM’s/MI’s that are not counterbalanced with drawbacks. I’ve found that I can enjoy both types equally but I’m currently in the MC camp. I may go back to a MI once it is time to re-tip.

Thanks for this! It's what I was a bit unsure I was fully understanding, but aligns with what I thought.

I have an idea of what I'd like my system to eventually be, so I'm more interesting in buying pieces that I love and can fit into my "end game" vision than in getting gear that solves a problem but doesn't scratch the upgrade itch right. Might be silly, but this is where I can indulge my irrational desires.
Based on what I know and hear now, get a SUT. It's absolutely the way when hooking up a MC.
I'm still amazed playing records and the level of fidelity with guitar strings, vocals etc.
I even picked up on Jimmy Forrest taking breaths during his session on Out Of The Forrest.
Of course this is a reward of the entire system but SUT was a game changer to add to the audio chain.

The type of SUT and turn ratio all factor in with the cart too. So maybe pick your MC cart first if you go down this path.

The Elevator EXP is not a SUT, it is a head amp. See that it has a power socket. I was annoyed by the video presenter continually calling it a “transformer”.

I’m in the SUT camp as my Bryston phono has an SUT in its chassis an a MM/MC toggle switch. I never got around to trying the Sutherland Insight with a SUT to see if I preferred it to just using the 60 dB gain setting.

Last edited:
Based on what I know and hear now, get a SUT. It's absolutely the way when hooking up a MC.
I'm still amazed playing records and the level of fidelity with guitar strings, vocals etc.
I even picked up on Jimmy Forrest taking breaths during his session on Out Of The Forrest.
Not gonna turn this into the Def Audiophile forum, but if you like that breathy sound, check out Arnett Cobb - Party Time from that AP Prestige series if you don’t already have it. I have both Party Time and Out of the Forrest (among others from the series), and they both sound amazing with that sound you’re describing.

Not gonna turn this into the Def Audiophile forum, but if you like that breathy sound, check out Arnett Cobb - Party Time from that AP Prestige series if you don’t already have it. I have both Party Time and Out of the Forrest (among others from the series), and they both sound amazing with that sound you’re describing.
I have it. Will need to pull it for another spin today. Thanks

I read this article a few days ago and I thought it offered meaningful advice from a top engineer in audio electronics.

I only detected one truly self-serving quip: “Replace any component that cannot deliver at least a 115 dB SNR.” With that, you’d never own vinyl!

I read this article a few days ago and I thought it offered meaningful advice from a top engineer in audio electronics.

I only detected one truly self-serving quip: “Replace any component that cannot deliver at least a 115 dB SNR.” With that, you’d never own vinyl!
Interesting article or at the very least entertaining.
Yes there is that notion that vinyl would not make the cut.
The author states “Why not invest in audio accessories that can produce differences that are clearly audible and easily measured?”
I have been investing/devolving towards audio “color” or “warmth” or distortion be it second order or whatever.
Single ended tube amps and most recently the

Magni Piety​

“A rich-sounding solid state amp with tube-like characteristics.”
“Magni…Piety exhibits distortion characteristics, gain curves, and square waves resembling tube amps.”
I really like it but some/most would probably not like it.
It is a headphone amplifier that also functions as a preamplifier
which is how I use it.
$175 and recommended as far as I am concerned.
I like both the clean solid-state sound as well as some audio color depending on what I am listening to.

Back