Equipment Recommendations - The Home For New System and Upgrade Advice

There's Craigslist ad that I responded to early this morning, before I posted here.

The guy is about 5 minutes away. It's a Technics RS-M63 and looks to be in good shape. May need a new belt, but I'm sure it would be easier to fix than this Sony I have.

I may check it out later today.

So I checked it out and got it for $35. Since it wasn't hooked up to anything I couldn't actually hear it play. He had it plugged in and it seemed to play a blank tape just fine.

I get it home and it won't play a tape for more than a few seconds then stops. The sound when it does play is really distorted.

I'm sure the belts need replacing and needs a good cleaning all around. I took it apart and it looks like I could do it, but I don't want to mess with it right now.

So I went @TenderLovingKiller®'s route of buying a refurbished deck off ebay.

It's a JVC TD-W111. Since it's been "Partly Serviced", the only thing that doesn't work is the high speed dubbing, which is fine as I don't plan to record anything. I just want to play cassettes. Maybe someday I'll drop $$$ on a really nice deck, but I'm not quite needing that level of a cassette deck just yet.

Last edited:
So I checked it out and got it for $35. Since it wasn't hooked up to anything I couldn't actually hear it play. He had it plugged in and it seemed to play a blank tape just fine.

I get it home and it won't play a tape for more than a few seconds then stops. The sound when it does play is really distorted.

I'm sure the belts need replacing and needs a good cleaning all around. I took it apart and it looks like I could do it, but I don't want to mess with it right now.

So I went @TenderLovingKiller®'s route of buying a refurbished deck off ebay.

It's a JVC TD-W111. Since it's been "Partly Serviced", the only thing that doesn't work is the high speed dubbing, which is fine as I don't plan to record anything. I just want to play cassettes. Maybe someday I'll drop $$$ on a really nice deck, but I'm not quite needing that level of a cassette deck just yet.

Glad you have something coming now Lee to get you through until you find a Dragon at the thrift store one day! ☺️. You should get some good miles on those JVC consumer units. Keep the heads, rollers, capstan, clean (iso, pro q tips, compressed air) and you may want to look around for a head demagnitizer.

Hey all, back again this time for cartridge advice. Currently using an AT VM95ML on a PLX 1000 TT into a Vincent PHO 8. Interested in the AT-OC9XML. My first question is if this will function with my current phono stage? My other question is regarding stylus shape, seemingly elliptical, micro linear, Shibata, and special line contact are generally the options. I have experience with elliptical and obviously micro line type and the change from the previous was dramatically positive to say the least. How does one weigh the stylus options relative to the cart construction itself, and do your experiences suggest for instance within a budget prioritizing stylus versus cart and mm to mc within this decision.

IMG_8254.jpg

Tannoy Cheviot Update, FYE

It’s been a few weeks so I figured it was time for an update on the Tannoy Cheviots. I bought these used but they were still quite new and needed some break-in. After 50 hours or so, and several hours of active listening, I’ve decided to send them back. After all, I have a life to lead and the musical reproduction of these speakers makes it impossible for me to do anything else. I sit in the living room to do some work, then find myself staring into space, lost in the richness of tone. I sit down with a pile of laundry to fold, and Jeff Buckley’s version of Lilac Wine puts me in a stupor. I look down 20 minutes later to find I’ve only half-folded a single shirt. A game of chess with my daughter, I snap to when she’s frustrated with how long it’s taking me to make the opening move. But hot damn, how do they make music sound so smooth while sacrificing so little detail?

It wasn’t always this way. When I first got the Cheviots going, they sounded good but were very laid back. They sounded dull for a stretch too. It was during these moments when I really appreciated the crossover controls on the front of the speakers. It was so easy to play with the treble levels and roll off, I could tweak the sound to add a little more energy and/or make the speakers work better in my room. I tried a couple of different speaker positions. These speakers aren’t very fussy about placement, but it does make a difference. I followed this guide to determine their final position — final before I send them back, of course — and it’s the best so far. The Cheviots are also short for floor-standing speakers. So while the tweeter doesn’t need to be at ear level, when standing the sound was clearly focused on the seated position. So I cut some MDF into small stackable panels and raised the speakers 4”. Problem solved. Now I could slouch in a chair AND stand, and things sounded great.

Then it happened: On a whim, I decided to replace the 6CA7’s that I’ve been loving in my PL/Focal combo, with KT150’s. Oh. My. God. Between these speakers and the PL, the music is like… bacon: Rich in flavor, lots of nuance and texture, yet slides down oh so smooth. But bacon will also clog your arteries.

A friend of mine listening to all of this unfold commented that all that I need now is a nice cigar. I disagreed. I told him with this sound, I don’t need anything at all. And that’s the problem. I have a life to lead. I have children. So the Cheviots are going back. Soon. Very soon.

View attachment 115669

It’s been a few weeks so I figured it was time for an update on the Tannoy Cheviots. I bought these used but they were still quite new and needed some break-in. After 50 hours or so, and several hours of active listening, I’ve decided to send them back. After all, I have a life to lead and the musical reproduction of these speakers makes it impossible for me to do anything else. I sit in the living room to do some work, then find myself staring into space, lost in the richness of tone. I sit down with a pile of laundry to fold, and Jeff Buckley’s version of Lilac Wine puts me in a stupor. I look down 20 minutes later to find I’ve only half-folded a single shirt. A game of chess with my daughter, I snap to when she’s frustrated with how long it’s taking me to make the opening move. But hot damn, how do they make music sound so smooth while sacrificing so little detail?

It wasn’t always this way. When I first got the Cheviots going, they sounded good but were very laid back. They sounded dull for a stretch too. It was during these moments when I really appreciated the crossover controls on the front of the speakers. It was so easy to play with the treble levels and roll off, I could tweak the sound to add a little more energy and/or make the speakers work better in my room. I tried a couple of different speaker positions. These speakers aren’t very fussy about placement, but it does make a difference. I followed this guide to determine their final position — final before I send them back, of course — and it’s the best so far. The Cheviots are also short for floor-standing speakers. So while the tweeter doesn’t need to be at ear level, when standing the sound was clearly focused on the seated position. So I cut some MDF into small stackable panels and raised the speakers 4”. Problem solved. Now I could slouch in a chair AND stand, and things sounded great.

Then it happened: On a whim, I decided to replace the 6CA7’s that I’ve been loving in my PL/Focal combo, with KT150’s. Oh. My. God. Between these speakers and the PL, the music is like… bacon: Rich in flavor, lots of nuance and texture, yet slides down oh so smooth. But bacon will also clog your arteries.

A friend of mine listening to all of this unfold commented that all that I need now is a nice cigar. I disagreed. I told him with this sound, I don’t need anything at all. And that’s the problem. I have a life to lead. I have children. So the Cheviots are going back. Soon. Very soon.
"I can quit any time I want."

View attachment 115669

Now I want a bacon sandwich!

I'm looking for some advice on how to proceed with my setup.

I currently have a low-tier setup pieced together out of necessity and without any real thought into getting great sound out of anything.

I have:
Fluance RT-85 turntable
Art DJ PRE cheap-o pre-amp from Amazon
bottom of the line Yamaha reciever that I bought 6 years ago to use as a video game pass-through device
Polk Monitor 70 speakers that I bought off a co-worker for like $150

I'm fine with this setup, honestly. But, here's my quandary.... Soon, I'll need a new stylus for the turntable.....and I was just gifted a Denon DP-A100 (with a broken stylus) and a Bellari step-up transformer.

Should I just replace the stylus on the 2M Blue and swap out the turntables? Should I get a whole new cartridge for the Denon? Should I look into Moving Coil cartridges and add the step-up transformer into the mix? Would any of this make that much of a difference if I'm not looking to invest a bunch more into upgrading the rest of my system?

The Denon is a gift, so I can't just sell it and put the money into a better cartridge and pre-amp for the Fluance, which I'm sure is the most logical thing.

I'm looking into spending less than $500 for whatever cartridge/stylus I choose. Wouldn't be opposed to spending another $300-500 on a new pre-amp, either. Just looking to get the best out of what I got with minimal effort/investment. Thanks.

I'm looking for some advice on how to proceed with my setup.

I currently have a low-tier setup pieced together out of necessity and without any real thought into getting great sound out of anything.

I have:
Fluance RT-85 turntable
Art DJ PRE cheap-o pre-amp from Amazon
bottom of the line Yamaha reciever that I bought 6 years ago to use as a video game pass-through device
Polk Monitor 70 speakers that I bought off a co-worker for like $150

I'm fine with this setup, honestly. But, here's my quandary.... Soon, I'll need a new stylus for the turntable.....and I was just gifted a Denon DP-A100 (with a broken stylus) and a Bellari step-up transformer.

Should I just replace the stylus on the 2M Blue and swap out the turntables? Should I get a whole new cartridge for the Denon? Should I look into Moving Coil cartridges and add the step-up transformer into the mix? Would any of this make that much of a difference if I'm not looking to invest a bunch more into upgrading the rest of my system?

The Denon is a gift, so I can't just sell it and put the money into a better cartridge and pre-amp for the Fluance, which I'm sure is the most logical thing.

I'm looking into spending less than $500 for whatever cartridge/stylus I choose. Wouldn't be opposed to spending another $300-500 on a new pre-amp, either. Just looking to get the best out of what I got with minimal effort/investment. Thanks.
I had Polk Monitor 70 speakers, and I liked them. You should audition a Darlington Labs MM-6 preamp in your current setup. It will only cost you shipping to the next destination, and I think you would be next on the list.

probably a silly question, but the self-adhesive rubber feet that come with the Lintons--do those stick to the top of the speaker stands so the dome is facing up? is there a preferred placement for them? it seems like they gave me 16 of those self-adhesive silicon feet in total...

probably a silly question, but the self-adhesive rubber feet that come with the Lintons--do those stick to the top of the speaker stands so the dome is facing up? is there a preferred placement for them? it seems like they gave me 16 of those self-adhesive silicon feet in total...

Yes, that exactly, they’re to isolate the speaker from the stand and stop it scratching the bottom. I only used 8 (four per speaker) but there is nothing wrong per se with using more. The idea is one in each cornerish, I stuck them on top of the four corner screw heads.

I'm moving forward with these soon but in my current space I have no room for the stands. The speakers would have to rest on cabinets I have (mostly holding records). I know that would not be an ideal place for them so should I wait until I move sometime in the next 2-? months or go ahead with essentially bookshelf placement?

I’d wait personally. They’re not bookshelf speakers they really are too big and you’re putting the tweeters far too high. I’d imagine given how deep they dig that they would give you some serious feedback issues to the turntable if they’re on the same cabinets or near it.

I’d wait personally. They’re not bookshelf speakers they really are too big and you’re putting the tweeters far too high. I’d imagine given how deep they dig that they would give you some serious feedback issues to the turntable if they’re on the same cabinets or near it.
The only thing to consider is that depending on where @McGlam is located, prices just went up by $300 for the speaker and stands combo. There seem to be a handful of places in the US that still have them at the old price. Buying them separately from the stands doesn’t make any sense especially now. You’re looking at $2,000 to buy the speakers now and stands later.

The only thing to consider is that depending on where @McGlam is located, prices just went up by $300 for the speaker and stands combo. There seem to be a handful of places in the US that still have them at the old price. Buying them separately from the stands doesn’t make any sense especially now. You’re looking at $2,000 to buy the speakers now and stands later.

Yeah I still think that practically I’d not want them in that current arrangement. I suppose I’d look at it as not for current space but if you’re moving that soon either hold off for 2 months if you cant get them at the old price and if you can buy them with the stands and put both away for the new place.

Is this the old price? This is a local store for me, haven't really looked elsewhere. I also have a storage space, so maybe I should bite the bullet and store them for a bit.

Is this the old price? This is a local store for me, haven't really looked elsewhere. I also have a storage space, so maybe I should bite the bullet and store them for a bit.

That’s the new price. $1500 without stands or $1800 with. The old price was $1500 with the stands.

View attachment 115669

A friend of mine listening to all of this unfold commented that all that I need now is a nice cigar. I disagreed. I told him with this sound, I don’t need anything at all. And that’s the problem. I have a life to lead. I have children. So the Cheviots are going back. Soon. Very soon

View attachment 115669

I don't understand why you can't live life AND listen to great tunes on the side. Oh well.

Back