Equipment Recommendations - The Home For New System and Upgrade Advice

I got a lot of my Mid Mod stuff off of Kijiji which I think is Canada only but basically like a better version marketplace/Craigslist.

You looking for something like this?

yea like that but has to be under 40" wide. i love a good tambour door as well.

i had to pass on this one because the right side was only 17" wide and would be a really tight squeeze for my Jolida + amp. but this kinda vibe is what i'm looking for!

Screen Shot 2021-10-20 at 2.40.15 PM.png

Nice! I'm always on the lookout and scour lots of places. Just have been picky about this since it'll be pretty visible in our house and not hidden in my office like my other setup!
Don’t underestimate the sturdiness of these old solid oak/glass door cabinets. Might be a challenge finding the width you’re looking for, but these definitely get the job done in a somewhat vintage way.75514FBC-6F93-4665-BE56-571C5B299E39.jpeg

Don’t underestimate the sturdiness of these old solid oak/glass door cabinets. Might be a challenge finding the width you’re looking for, but these definitely get the job done in a somewhat vintage way.View attachment 115316
looked into those but I think my wife and I agree that we both want something that can hide the amp/gear when it's not in use. i've expanded my search from media cabinets to bars/sideboards/other terms to try to widen the search!

looked into those but I think my wife and I agree that we both want something that can hide the amp/gear when it's not in use. i've expanded my search from media cabinets to bars/sideboards/other terms to try to widen the search!
Understood! And there’re definitely better looking options. 😃

I got a lot of my Mid Mod stuff off of Kijiji which I think is Canada only but basically like a better version marketplace/Craigslist.

You looking for something like this?

Ooooo look what what they have:

Those Altec's looks like they were hermetically sealed for 60 years!

The only thing with them as storage for LPs is that it’s really tight height wise so anything even slightly larger than normal won’t fit.

I found logos facing out better for my space but it entirely depends. From what I gather outside has the tweeters on the inside so focuses the image a bit more centrally but the other way around can increase the soundstage apparently but loses a bit of the image centring. What’s best for you will depend on the rest of your system and your room.

Again in my experience they like at the very least a 4cm toe in.

That said they really aren’t fussy speakers and they still sound pretty damn good even when not perfectly dialled in!

Did you decide against hunting for a vintage mid century cabinet and repurposing it for your system in the end?

I think you just ruined my plans for putting box sets in the storage. (when I actually buy everything)

View attachment 108081View attachment 108082

My brother-in-law told me I could have this broken marantz reciever. He thinks I could get it fixed for 400-500 dollars. I posted about upgrading my setup recently and I’m wondering if this would be a nice piece of the upgrade. Any thoughts on this model?

OK I finally was able to get this fixed up and it definitely wasn’t $400 but I’m really happy with it. I will be pairing it with some wharfedale lintons most likely. Right now I have my TT going into a preamp and headphone amp. Will I still need either of these? Also what cables should I get— without getting too far into the weeds?

Edit-- also do folks put fabric or anything under these amps usually? I set it down on my cabinet and immediately scratched it up!

Last edited:
OK I finally was able to get this fixed up and it definitely wasn’t $400 but I’m really happy with it. I will be pairing it with some wharfedale lintons most likely. Right now I have my TT going into a preamp and headphone amp. Will I still need either of these? Also what cables should I get— without getting too far into the weeds?

Edit-- also do folks put fabric or anything under these amps usually? I set it down on my cabinet and immediately scratched it up!

The marantz will have a phono stage. What I’d do in your position is experiment a bit. Try table > pre > marantz aux and also table > marantz phono and see which you prefer. That’d be the long term option.

Do you have speaker wire already to go from the marantz to the Lintons? If not you will need to get that. It will need to be bare wire at the marantz end because of the type of connectors it uses. The Linton end can be bare wire or banana plug or spade connector, it can accommodate all 3. You can continue to use the RCA cables you have but if you are looking for a boost you could look at Blue Jeans LC1, blue jeans make really nice value for money cables.

Oh it shouldn’t scratch. Does it have proper feet underneath it? I wouldn’t put fabric underneath it, I’d be worried it might not be the best call for encouraging ventilation and amps can get hot and often cool by convection taking in cool air from the bottom and vent hot air at the top. Generally would only have something under it it if was for isolation. So like a heavy wooden/stone block on isolation feet.

You have a great restored vintage receiver for the rest of your life now.

Here is the owners manual

You should not need a external headphone amp or preamp, your Marantz is equipped with both, but test your headphones out on it to make sure they match well. Make sure you run a ground wire from your turntable to the Marantz. You can get a cheap dipole antenna off Amz or monoprice for the Fm antenna.

Let us know how it sounds! mind sharing what all was done to it, who you used, and how much the bill was for ?

We have a Habitat for Humanity store nearby, they threw this out!
Not saying I don't love @AnthonyI and @Slimwhit33 new racks they have! ☺️ or the period pieces others do.
I love the vintage racks. I just needed more shelf space in a smaller footprint than I could get in a mid century modern piece for anywhere near the price. At some point after the kids graduate college I’ll take over one of the bigger rooms and will buy the type of piece that goes with that aesthetic. Keep up the pics! Love seeing these!

The marantz will have a phono stage. What I’d do in your position is experiment a bit. Try table > pre > marantz aux and also table > marantz phono and see which you prefer. That’d be the long term option.

Do you have speaker wire already to go from the marantz to the Lintons? If not you will need to get that. It will need to be bare wire at the marantz end because of the type of connectors it uses. The Linton end can be bare wire or banana plug or spade connector, it can accommodate all 3. You can continue to use the RCA cables you have but if you are looking for a boost you could look at Blue Jeans LC1, blue jeans make really nice value for money cables.

Oh it shouldn’t scratch. Does it have proper feet underneath it? I wouldn’t put fabric underneath it, I’d be worried it might not be the best call for encouraging ventilation and amps can get hot and often cool by convection taking in cool air from the bottom and vent hot air at the top. Generally would only have something under it it if was for isolation. So like a heavy wooden/stone block on isolation feet.

Is there a preference in terms of bare wire or plug or connector? Or do they all sound the same? I guess my unit was missing feet too. I just ordered some off ebay that say they fit this model. Hopefully they work. This thing is so heaving I'm always worried I'm going to break or dislodge something.

You have a great restored vintage receiver for the rest of your life now.

Here is the owners manual

You should not need a external headphone amp or preamp, your Marantz is equipped with both, but test your headphones out on it to make sure they match well. Make sure you run a ground wire from your turntable to the Marantz. You can get a cheap dipole antenna off Amz or monoprice for the Fm antenna.

Let us know how it sounds! mind sharing what all was done to it, who you used, and how much the bill was for ?

Amazing! Thanks for the link to the manual! What does it mean to run a ground wire from turntable to Marantz? Is there a place to plug it in on the TT?

The work was done at George Meyer AV, which I think you may have recommended @JohnnyCashFan. I called a few places in town and they were the ones who could get it done the quickest (6 weeks!). I can upload the receipt if you want to see all the parts and labor. It ended up costing $1100, but it seems easily worth that and I got it for free so I rationalized it. The guys at the shop seemed SUPER excited about the way it came out, like really, really pumped.

Is there a preference in terms of bare wire or plug or connector? Or do they all sound the same? I guess my unit was missing feet too. I just ordered some off ebay that say they fit this model. Hopefully they work. This thing is so heaving I'm always worried I'm going to break or dislodge something.

Amazing! Thanks for the link to the manual! What does it mean to run a ground wire from turntable to Marantz? Is there a place to plug it in on the TT?

The work was done at George Meyer AV, which I think you may have recommended @JohnnyCashFan. I called a few places in town and they were the ones who could get it done the quickest (6 weeks!). I can upload the receipt if you want to see all the parts and labor. It ended up costing $1100, but it seems easily worth that and I got it for free so I rationalized it. The guys at the shop seemed SUPER excited about the way it came out, like really, really pumped.
I love the you got this fixed. That's so freaking cool.

It's a good investment. My friend out there said they know there shit. Glad it worked out. I can imagine what they replaced, power supply capacitors, misc capacitors, resistors, bulbs, deep cleaning, tuner alignment, testing, breaking in, etc. I bet labor was quite a few hours ?. The FM probably sounds great if you choose to use it.

Just post a nice picture of it lit up when you get setup please!

Last edited:

No preference really, I prefer banana plugs because they just plug in but ran bare wires also for years with my previous speaker. On the speaker you just unscrew the binding post to reveal a little hole, slip the wire in and then screw it back in making sure that it’s clamping against the bare wire rather than the jacket.

Ah good you got some feet! Don’t be too precious, these big heavy things are pretty robust so long as you don’t abuse them! Have you been tempted by one of the wooden surrounds yet to bring it back to its original look?

You have a P1 right? Rega tables don’t use traditional grounding with a wire, like the u-turns they ground through the left RCA cable. If you’re really unlucky and get some hum there is some advice here.

Last edited:
No preference really, I prefer banana plugs because they just plug in but ran bare wires also for years with my previous speaker. On the speaker you just unscrew the binding post to reveal a little hole, slip the wire in and then screw it back in making sure that it’s clamping against the bare wire rather than the jacket.

Ah good you got some feet! Don’t be too precious, these big heavy things are pretty robust so long as you don’t abuse them! Have you been tempted by one of the wooden surrounds yet to bring it back to its original look?

You have a P1 right? Rega tables don’t use traditional grounding with a wire, like the u-turns they ground through the left RCA cable. If you’re really unlucky and get some hum there is some advice here.

Yes I am very tempted by a wooden surround, the top of the case that they put on mine is a synthetic wood grain. I do have a P1 but I am going to upgrade soon, may be a P3 although maybe something else I’m not exactly sure yet. With the Rega turntables you do not need to run a ground wire?

Yes I am very tempted by a wooden surround, the top of the case that they put on mine is a synthetic wood grain. I do have a P1 but I am going to upgrade soon, may be a P3 although maybe something else I’m not exactly sure yet. With the Rega turntables you do not need to run a ground wire?

I bet! I’d totally get one of the new walnut surrounds if I had an old marantz that had lost its original one! They do set off the look so well!

No they ground through the left RCA. If some kind of unexplainable madness causes a hum take a look at that video and follow the steps the fella sets out, he’s really clear with his explanations and methods.

Back