Equipment Recommendations - The Home For New System and Upgrade Advice

Hi @McGlam,

I think you said you weren't too far from Audio Element? I was just there two weekends ago and they had MoFi Ultradecks as part of their "turntable bar". Also saw Regas as well (though I don't know which models) so would be an easy comparison for you.

My local HiFi dealer and where I bought my Ultradeck, Excel Audio in Newport Beach, also carries MoFi (though double-check if you're gonna drive out...haven't visited in a while). The owner, Mike, carries (and highly recommends) the Lintons, so maybe you can try them together? He gave me a great trade-in on my Pro-ject turntable.

Oh, I also just remembered that I saw an Ultradeck at Commonwave on my way back from Audio Element.

Good luck!

Hi @tomheo --yes I am not too far from Audio Element, that's where I bought my current Rega. I was around West Hollywood today so I wanted to check out Supervinyl, which was listed as a MoFi dealer. I think I'll go check out AE later this week. I think they carry Lintons there as well. Thanks for the Commonwave tip, I didn't see it listed on their site. I've talked to that guy a couple of times, but I still haven't gotten around to visiting the store.

Nice! What amp did you get in the end?

The problem with the rega is the big mark up stateside The P6 is in a fairer fight with the studiodeck, that’s where it’s priced here. You’re almost at one of the funky P8s for ultra deck money with home pricing.

I’m not a fan of the idea of having to move the belt for speed change personally either but I know the people on here with MoFi tables say it’s very easy and that the belt is perfect.

I got a Marantz 2270 restored. I am very ready to get this set up on its feet.

Ok well I have upgraded my amp and am waiting on the Lintons to arrive so now I am finally looking to upgrade my turntable. Right now I have a rega p1 which I really enjoy the simplicity of. I have been considering the Rega P6 and the Mofi Ultradeck so I went to a store today that was supposed to have both. They had every available Rega but no MoFi's in sight. The guy running the store told me they stopped working with MoFI for various reasons and was emphatic that the Rega was a better turntable. I was leaning toward the Ultradeck but I'll need to find another place to demo it. Now I am more confused than ever! It seems like the Ultradeck is very popular here and I liked that it is american-made and not a heavy mark up from British pricing like the Rega, but I don't really like how the belt sticks out etc. I am not much of a tinkerer and my Rega P1 is such an easy-to-operate table. Any advice on this? All the options for cartridges make me a bit overwhelmed as well.
I have one question, what exactly would make the UltraDeck "harder" to operate than the Rega :)

@McGlam i have the Ultradeck and Lintons. The Ultradeck is really nice. Don't see what would make it hard to operate. It's extremely simple to change from 33 to 45. It's not like changing the speed on something like an entry-level Pro-Ject which I found to be really annoying. On my pro-ject, the belt would always slip and come off when I tried to change speed but it's nothing like that with the Ultradeck. It's very easy to move the belt.

@McGlam i have the Ultradeck and Lintons. The Ultradeck is really nice. Don't see what would make it hard to operate. It's extremely simple to change from 33 to 45. It's not like changing the speed on something like an entry-level Pro-Ject which I found to be really annoying. On my pro-ject, the belt would always slip and come off when I tried to change speed but it's nothing like that with the Ultradeck. It's very easy to move the belt.

True but it’s not a button press for automated either like a rega with the neo ps would be. There are pros and cons to all the tables I suppose. I just think the rega money is the factor in the states, I’d have to think long and hard about a p8 up against a ultradeck as opposed to a p6.

Is the MoFi as monolithic in person as it looks in pictures and how is the tinted dust cover in person? Those two things, the yellow belt and hints and the lack of auto speed change have always been ticks in the cons lists for me.

The speed change is a total non-issue. The belt has a round profile and moves effortlessly from one part of the spindle to the other.

I don't have a problem with the aesthetics, but that is admittedly quite subjective.

It’d be a big black mark against any table when confronted with a similar priced and reviewed rival with a button for me tbh. But unless the table looks markedly different in person than in pictures it wouldn’t be on my list anyway.

Hi @tomheo --yes I am not too far from Audio Element, that's where I bought my current Rega. I was around West Hollywood today so I wanted to check out Supervinyl, which was listed as a MoFi dealer. I think I'll go check out AE later this week. I think they carry Lintons there as well. Thanks for the Commonwave tip, I didn't see it listed on their site. I've talked to that guy a couple of times, but I still haven't gotten around to visiting the store.
Hi @McGlam,

Ooh, I'll have to check out Supervinyl next time I'm in that area.

At Commonwave, I think I only saw one Ultradeck on display, but now that I think about it, I think he has it in one of his Instagram pics as well. I auditioned the Devore O/96s there and that was a big big mistake.

True but it’s not a button press for automated either like a rega with the neo ps would be. There are pros and cons to all the tables I suppose. I just think the rega money is the factor in the states, I’d have to think long and hard about a p8 up against a ultradeck as opposed to a p6.

Is the MoFi as monolithic in person as it looks in pictures and how is the tinted dust cover in person? Those two things, the yellow belt and hints and the lack of auto speed change have always been ticks in the cons lists for me.
Right. It's not a push button to change the speed. I personally don't find it to be an issue. But different strokes for different folks and all that. I personally don't love the look of the Regas. The Ultradeck does have a bit of a monolithic look but I'm into it. It is a much larger turntable than I thought it would be in person though.

Your a hop, skip, and a jump from stopping in at Kevin Deal's/Upscale, I'm sure he has some things for you to listen to there. Me personally I would choose a MF over a Rega.

Have you checked your local Craigslist to see if there might be anything nice, used around ? VPI would be my first choice.

The basic Technics SL-1500 is also a good choice at 1200 and in stock around. The black model is pretty damn sharp.

Last edited:
In this particular case it’s a wash for me, as swapping speeds with your thumb doesn’t take any longer than pressing a button. It’s night and day compared to an under-platter speed change or a table with a flat belt.
I have to agree with you. As for the looks @Joe Mac, I think the UD is eye-catching in a simple and clean way. The yellow belt has a reason behind it, it matches the power button witch pays homage if you will to the reel to reel's used at Mofi back in the day if I remember correctly. The dust cover looks better in person, it's not as transparent as images show and I love the heavy Delrin platter.

But as @kvetcha mentioned, this is all subjective :)

Right. It's not a push button to change the speed. I personally don't find it to be an issue. But different strokes for different folks and all that. I personally don't love the look of the Regas. The Ultradeck does have a bit of a monolithic look but I'm into it. It is a much larger turntable than I thought it would be in person though.
Yes the size of the UD seems a little intense to me and I am a fan of the simplicity of the Regas. I haven't seen the UD in person yet though. The P6 has a large box that allows for electronic speed changing but also takes up a lot of space.

I have to agree with you. As for the looks @Joe Mac, I think the UD is eye-catching in a simple and clean way. The yellow belt has a reason behind it, it matches the power button witch pays homage if you will to the reel to reel's used at Mofi back in the day if I remember correctly. The dust cover looks better in person, it's not as transparent as images show and I love the heavy Delrin platter.

But as @kvetcha mentioned, this is all subjective :)

Less transparent is selling it to me less, that just sounds more monolithic 😂

I’m kinda with @McGlam in that prefer the simpler look of something like the regas and if the plinth can be in either lighter colours or warmer more natural materials that is going to draw it to me even more. I think that’s why I really like the look of the p8 and p10, there’s an elegance and simplicity to the lines of the skeletal plinth that really appeals!

Less transparent is selling it to me less, that just sounds more monolithic 😂

I’m kinda with @McGlam in that prefer the simpler look of something like the regas and if the plinth can be in either lighter colours or warmer more natural materials that is going to draw it to me even more. I think that’s why I really like the look of the p8 and p10, there’s an elegance and simplicity to the lines of the skeletal plinth that really appeals!
To each his own :)

Back