Equipment Recommendations - The Home For New System and Upgrade Advice

Does anyone have any leads or connections on finding a decent cassette deck?

Pretty slim pickings here...and I don't really want to waste time on Goodwill decks only to not have them work.

I've wanted to get one to replace my Sony that has bad belts and is a PITA to change these belts.

I just subbed to the new Terror Vision Cassette Club so I would get looking for a deck.

Watching various Techmoan videos on Youtube, I know that new decks/players are mostly crap.

Pretty slim pickings here...and I don't really want to waste time on Goodwill decks only to not have them work.

I've wanted to get one to replace my Sony that has bad belts and is a PITA to change these belts.

I just subbed to the new Terror Vision Cassette Club so I would get looking for a deck.

Watching various Techmoan videos on Youtube, I know that new decks/players are mostly crap.
I ordered a a really decent refurbished Onkyo dual cassette deck off of eBay for under $200 shipped. I’ve used it a good amount and has worked great. I still have not yet dubbed anything with it but I am gonna try that out here shortly.

I ordered a a really decent refurbished Onkyo dual cassette deck off of eBay for under $200 shipped. I’ve used it a good amount and has worked great. I still have not yet dubbed anything with it but I am gonna try that out here shortly.

There's Craigslist ad that I responded to early this morning, before I posted here.

The guy is about 5 minutes away. It's a Technics RS-M63 and looks to be in good shape. May need a new belt, but I'm sure it would be easier to fix than this Sony I have.

I may check it out later today.

There's Craigslist ad that I responded to early this morning, before I posted here.

The guy is about 5 minutes away. It's a Technics RS-M63 and looks to be in good shape. May need a new belt, but I'm sure it would be easier to fix than this Sony I have.

I looked up a video on how replace belts and it seems like it’s doable if you have the patiences and work space but if didn’t wanna futz with it and just started searching refurbished sets on eBay.

Also what cables should I get— without getting too far into the weeds?
I just got some BlueJean BJC12 cables with a white shielding. I got the locking banana clips which were confusing to me at first because they wouldn't fit in the back of my speakers but realized you just have to turn the ring on the outside of the plug to expand them. really nice quality. I also got some Signal Analog 2 interconnects to replace the MoFi interconnects from the Ultradeck. Just got those yesterday so haven't had a chance to listen to them much. They didn't have a grounding wire but I just took the interconnects apart from the MoFi and used that grounding wire cable.

I just got some BlueJean BJC12 cables with a white shielding. I got the locking banana clips which were confusing to me at first because they wouldn't fit in the back of my speakers but realized you just have to turn the ring on the outside of the plug to expand them. really nice quality. I also got some Signal Analog 2 interconnects to replace the MoFi interconnects from the Ultradeck. Just got those yesterday so haven't had a chance to listen to them much. They didn't have a grounding wire but I just took the interconnects apart from the MoFi and used that grounding wire cable.

I just want to check, and I think @LiamGallagher’sBucketHat has the answer, but I think 12 gauge might be too thick for the output terminals on the old marantz amps. Also as I said earlier can have the locking banana plugs into the speakers but has to be bare wire at the marantz end.

I have the BJC10 and I’ve got to agree with you, really nice product for the price and also very confused by the locking banana plugs at first lol!

Last edited:
I just want to check, and I think @LiamGallagher’sBucketHat has the answer, but I think 12 gauge might be too think for the output terminals on the old marantz amps. Also as I said earlier can have the locking banana plugs into the speakers but has to be bare wire at the marantz end.

I have the BJC10 and I’ve got to agree with you, really nice product for the price and also very confused by the locking banana plugs at first lol!
Yea--should have added to check the gauges/connections with the receiver. This was more of a plug for Blue Jeans quality moreso than a specific rec on size cable (see what i did there??)

I just want to check, and I think @LiamGallagher’sBucketHat has the answer, but I think 12 gauge might be too think for the output terminals on the old marantz amps. Also as I said earlier can have the locking banana plugs into the speakers but has to be bare wire at the marantz end.

I think 12 might be cutting it close. When I was using my Marantz, I was running Mission cables that were 13AWG and they surprisingly fit perfectly.

Audiokarma generally says it's ok, pay no more than $20-25.

Back in the day I liked Aiwa decks, they were known as baby Nak's. Made some incredible mix tapes (770) in the service. Think I paid $550 ? at the PX.

Maybe you find something nice through the tapeheads forum ?

Between restorations, furniture shopping and old cassette decks, this thread has been fun. That is all.
What, no Reel to Reel action ? 😊

Last edited:
X2 on Aiwa decks. My F990 made great tapes back in the day that still sound very good.

Audiokarma generally says it's ok, pay no more than $20-25.

Back in the day I liked Aiwa decks, they were known as baby Nak's. Made some incredible mix tapes (770) in the service. Think I paid $550 ? at the PX.

Maybe you find something nice through the tapeheads forum ?

What, no Reel to Reel action ? 😊

My reel to reel has just landed in Melbourne. Give it a couple of weeks!

If I could find anything other than audiophile wank I’d be tempted! My plan is to get some tape and dub some of my bootlegs onto it. Could be fun!

One day there will be audiophile quality pressings/tapes of shit that isn’t audiophile wank 😂

Back