Equipment Recommendations - The Home For New System and Upgrade Advice

Is this the old price? This is a local store for me, haven't really looked elsewhere. I also have a storage space, so maybe I should bite the bullet and store them for a bit.
I got mine from Alma Audio which I think is in San Diego:

they still have them at the old price. mine was also free shipping and no sales tax so i saved quite a lot of money buying through them. again supreme thanks to @Russ I for finding these for me. once I did order, the confirmation said "some items may be backordered or out of stock" so your results may vary on whether or not they still have them in stock.

they still have them at the old price. mine was also free shipping and no sales tax so i saved quite a lot of money buying through them. again supreme thanks to @Russ I for finding these for me. once I did order, the confirmation said "some items may be backordered or out of stock" so your results may vary on whether or not they still have them in stock.

I was just looking at this shop. Only a couple hours away from, seems like a good bet and might as well save the $300 and buy them now.

I was just looking at this shop. Only a couple hours away from, seems like a good bet and might as well save the $300 and buy them now.
yea-- not sure if you'll get hit with sales tax by being in CA but between no sales tax + the price, I saved about $500 over buying them new elsewhere. it's a pretty significant discount even if you don't fully set them up now.

2 hours down. 98 to go! 🎶🎶

They do sound pretty special out of the box. Maybe a bit mannered but I loved the tone from the get go! They get better after 100 and after 200 hours they really cut loose! You’re going to have a lot of fun re-discovering your collection with them!

View attachment 115669

Tannoy Cheviot Update, FYE

It’s been a few weeks so I figured it was time for an update on the Tannoy Cheviots. I bought these used but they were still quite new and needed some break-in. After 50 hours or so, and several hours of active listening, I’ve decided to send them back. After all, I have a life to lead and the musical reproduction of these speakers makes it impossible for me to do anything else. I sit in the living room to do some work, then find myself staring into space, lost in the richness of tone. I sit down with a pile of laundry to fold, and Jeff Buckley’s version of Lilac Wine puts me in a stupor. I look down 20 minutes later to find I’ve only half-folded a single shirt. A game of chess with my daughter, I snap to when she’s frustrated with how long it’s taking me to make the opening move. But hot damn, how do they make music sound so smooth while sacrificing so little detail?

It wasn’t always this way. When I first got the Cheviots going, they sounded good but were very laid back. They sounded dull for a stretch too. It was during these moments when I really appreciated the crossover controls on the front of the speakers. It was so easy to play with the treble levels and roll off, I could tweak the sound to add a little more energy and/or make the speakers work better in my room. I tried a couple of different speaker positions. These speakers aren’t very fussy about placement, but it does make a difference. I followed this guide to determine their final position — final before I send them back, of course — and it’s the best so far. The Cheviots are also short for floor-standing speakers. So while the tweeter doesn’t need to be at ear level, when standing the sound was clearly focused on the seated position. So I cut some MDF into small stackable panels and raised the speakers 4”. Problem solved. Now I could slouch in a chair AND stand, and things sounded great.

Then it happened: On a whim, I decided to replace the 6CA7’s that I’ve been loving in my PL/Focal combo, with KT150’s. Oh. My. God. Between these speakers and the PL, the music is like… bacon: Rich in flavor, lots of nuance and texture, yet slides down oh so smooth. But bacon will also clog your arteries.

A friend of mine listening to all of this unfold commented that all that I need now is a nice cigar. I disagreed. I told him with this sound, I don’t need anything at all. And that’s the problem. I have a life to lead. I have children. So the Cheviots are going back. Soon. Very soon.
So what part of the guide in particular? Doesn't look like you have any room treatments, so is it the distances? (from side and rear walls, between speakers, to listening position) and toe-in? And would you be willing to share the details? Looks like you have a lot of potential "sound influencers" so it's great to hear that you've made it work. (Also digging that Dust & Grooves coffee table book. I've got it and love following the interviews/photos on his website.)

So what part of the guide in particular? Doesn't look like you have any room treatments, so is it the distances? (from side and rear walls, between speakers, to listening position) and toe-in? And would you be willing to share the details? Looks like you have a lot of potential "sound influencers" so it's great to hear that you've made it work. (Also digging that Dust & Grooves coffee table book. I've got it and love following the interviews/photos on his website.)
Your really should to do something with that cabinet in the corner if possible @Jango . That has to be influencing the room and sound quite a bit.

Last edited:
I love guides like this, but I always need to take into account that music listening is only one of the things this room is used for. So there ends up being a lot I need to pass over. The dimensions of the room are great, but like you said there are many factors here. One of the nice things about the Cheviots, like the Focals I had before them, is that they're front-ported so that simplifies things a bit. The REL you see pictured was a pain to set up well. The spot I have it seems odd but it's the best spot thus far, I think because the bass is getting diffused nice and early. However, the bass response of the Cheviots is great. The REL obviously gives me more, but not enough to make it worthwhile with the music I listen to.

Anyway, the part of the guide I found most useful was speaker positioning based on the golden ratio. That's where they sit now, at least in relation to the front/side walls and the listening position. I have another spot I'd like to try that takes into account the length of the room, but I need to find my masking tape before I move them again. And they sound great where they are. The toe in is focused on a spot a few feet in front of the listening position, which is based on an old Cheviot guide.

Your really should to do something with that cabinet in the corner if possible @Jango . That has to be influencing the room and sound quite a bit. Are the Tannoy's from Upscale btw ? Kevin usually includes a setup cd with speakers.
I could try it with these speakers but I put it there awhile back to break up standing waves that I had at the front of the room.

I bought the speakers from The Music Room. Also, I don’t have a CD player. I am curious what the set up audio consists of though.

How long did it take to ship for you?

How long did it take to ship for you?
Ordered 10/15, got a shipment notification on 10/19. It wasn't instant. I did email them on the morning of the 19th just to check in because the confirmation email I got said that some items are on backorder or out of stock so orders may be delayed. But then I got the shipping notice and they arrived a little under a week later via FedEx.

Ok well I have upgraded my amp and am waiting on the Lintons to arrive so now I am finally looking to upgrade my turntable. Right now I have a rega p1 which I really enjoy the simplicity of. I have been considering the Rega P6 and the Mofi Ultradeck so I went to a store today that was supposed to have both. They had every available Rega but no MoFi's in sight. The guy running the store told me they stopped working with MoFI for various reasons and was emphatic that the Rega was a better turntable. I was leaning toward the Ultradeck but I'll need to find another place to demo it. Now I am more confused than ever! It seems like the Ultradeck is very popular here and I liked that it is american-made and not a heavy mark up from British pricing like the Rega, but I don't really like how the belt sticks out etc. I am not much of a tinkerer and my Rega P1 is such an easy-to-operate table. Any advice on this? All the options for cartridges make me a bit overwhelmed as well.

Ok well I have upgraded my amp and am waiting on the Lintons to arrive so now I am finally looking to upgrade my turntable. Right now I have a rega p1 which I really enjoy the simplicity of. I have been considering the Rega P6 and the Mofi Ultradeck so I went to a store today that was supposed to have both. They had every available Rega but no MoFi's in sight. The guy running the store told me they stopped working with MoFI for various reasons and was emphatic that the Rega was a better turntable. I was leaning toward the Ultradeck but I'll need to find another place to demo it. Now I am more confused than ever! It seems like the Ultradeck is very popular here and I liked that it is american-made and not a heavy mark up from British pricing like the Rega, but I don't really like how the belt sticks out etc. I am not much of a tinkerer and my Rega P1 is such an easy-to-operate table. Any advice on this? All the options for cartridges make me a bit overwhelmed as well.
Hi @McGlam,

I think you said you weren't too far from Audio Element? I was just there two weekends ago and they had MoFi Ultradecks as part of their "turntable bar". Also saw Regas as well (though I don't know which models) so would be an easy comparison for you.

My local HiFi dealer and where I bought my Ultradeck, Excel Audio in Newport Beach, also carries MoFi (though double-check if you're gonna drive out...haven't visited in a while). The owner, Mike, carries (and highly recommends) the Lintons, so maybe you can try them together? He gave me a great trade-in on my Pro-ject turntable.

Oh, I also just remembered that I saw an Ultradeck at Commonwave on my way back from Audio Element.

Good luck!

Nice! What amp did you get in the end?

The problem with the rega is the big mark up stateside The P6 is in a fairer fight with the studiodeck, that’s where it’s priced here. You’re almost at one of the funky P8s for ultra deck money with home pricing.

I’m not a fan of the idea of having to move the belt for speed change personally either but I know the people on here with MoFi tables say it’s very easy and that the belt is perfect.

Back