Equipment Recommendations - The Home For New System and Upgrade Advice

Maybe being in a much more humid environment (by that I mean it never fucking stops raining...) it’s less useful. Actually scrap that, humid suggests warmth, damp environment! I think most of the static that I have is caused by me. That said I wasn’t impressed by its ability to remove that static or it’s finikiness, I won’t be buying another!

In the more humid months it’s definitely less necessary, but around here in the winter, records can lift a mat off the turntable after they come out of the sleeve. 😆

I also sometimes shoot it at things for my own amusement, like neutralizing the static in our coffee grinder and watching all the chaff tumble to the bottom of the container.

I get bored a lot.

Interested in upgrading my preamp, I have an issue where sometime my mine clicks out when its first turned on. I've isolated it to my preamp because there will be a click inside the preamp after I reset and its after that click that I will have sound again. Usually only have to do that once, sometimes twice and then I have no issues for the listening session. It is a Vincent Pho-700. Didn't post this in the trouble shooting section, but if you have a solution please let me know.

Are there upgrades available under $1000? I like the sound of the preamp, was curious if there was an upgrade available before jumping in the range that would make me think it better to upgrade my table (which is where my next $1000 plus purchase will be). Thanks.

Interested in upgrading my preamp, I have an issue where sometime my mine clicks out when its first turned on. I've isolated it to my preamp because there will be a click inside the preamp after I reset and its after that click that I will have sound again. Usually only have to do that once, sometimes twice and then I have no issues for the listening session. It is a Vincent Pho-700. Didn't post this in the trouble shooting section, but if you have a solution please let me know.

Are there upgrades available under $1000? I like the sound of the preamp, was curious if there was an upgrade available before jumping in the range that would make me think it better to upgrade my table (which is where my next $1000 plus purchase will be). Thanks.

Wasn’t @Tyr selling a Sutherland Insight for $900?

Wasn’t @Tyr selling a Sutherland Insight for $900?

I was going to suggest that at under $1000 that the MX-VYNL that I have is a great option for the $750 that upscale are charging for it...

but at $900 that Sutherland is a damn hard option to pass on!

Someone had these out on their front lawn with a bunch of other garbage for bulk pickup day, so figured I’d give them a go. Both turn on which is good sign #1.

I’ve been in need of a cassette player and a receiver for my upstairs setup, and lo and behold.

@HiFi Guy, any good for a street trash haul? The Sony is a TC-WR350Z

35E4988C-502D-4AF6-93D5-8806EE38DD8C.jpeg

I asked here many months ago if anyone had any personal experience with any of the Sweet Vinyl Sugar Cube products and no one had but am asking again in the hopes things have changed.

I asked here many months ago if anyone had any personal experience with any of the Sweet Vinyl Sugar Cube products and no one had but am asking again in the hopes things have changed.

I spent a little time in their booth at an audio show, and thought it was very cool technology. It works as advertised.

I’ve considered one, on and off, but ultimately, at that price point, I think if you’re into not rare jazz pressings or something you’re better off going with Tidal or Qobuz or whatever. But perhaps I’d change my tune if I could get one used.

I’ve thought about one. I haven’t done it.

You can try one yourself from MD with a 60 day home audition.

I don’t think I’d leave it connected to your router though. They do firmware updates all the time, and some versions seem to have glitches.

Someone had these out on their front lawn with a bunch of other garbage for bulk pickup day, so figured I’d give them a go. Both turn on which is good sign #1.

I’ve been in need of a cassette player and a receiver for my upstairs setup, and lo and behold.

@HiFi Guy, any good for a street trash haul? The Sony is a TC-WR350Z

View attachment 58995

Not bad at all for a dumpster dive.

btw when i said i almost was going to upgrade to a project instead of uturn.. i was going with the carbon espirit not the normal carbon (aka about 600 dollars compared to 400)... i am probably just gonna stick with the uturn though and get either an ortofon blue or that used audiotechnica...

also plan to get my brother some kanto yu4/6 speakers in the future

This was a very interesting "down to earth" interview in my opinion. While I think for the most part it discusses gear I couldn't afford, or justify would probably be a better choice of words, there are some tidbits that would apply to most in the hobby. I found his comments on tonearms as they pertain to cartridges worth highlighting: 2:23-4:00, the entire interview is definitely worth a listen.

This was a very interesting "down to earth" interview in my opinion. While I think for the most part it discusses gear I couldn't afford, or justify would probably be a better choice of words, there are some tidbits that would apply to most in the hobby. I found his comments on tonearms as they pertain to cartridges worth highlighting: 2:23-4:00, the entire interview is definitely worth a listen.

Really enjoyed this -- thanks! Well worth the listen

To everyone who recommended the Sennheiser HD6XXs to me, huggeee THANK YOU, these headphones kick ass and have made me fall in love all over with listening to vinyl. I may actually prefer headphone listening now because of these, I completely forgot about the immersion factor and it’s got me feeling like a kid on Christmas, can’t stop pulling out record after record!

P.S. the 2014 repress/remaster of Led Zeppelin II sounds pretty great to my ears if anyone is looking for a good copy!

Back