Equipment Recommendations - The Home For New System and Upgrade Advice

but then what would it be if you have a sudden addiction to spending on "better equipment" since you feel lesser with your setup

it’s not a really word, but none of these are, but someone an addiction to upgrading could be describe an upgradeaholic. I don’t think that fits you either because you don’t actually buy a tonne of upgrades so addiction isn’t a fair descriptor.

it’s not a really word, but none of these are, but someone an addiction to upgrading could be describe an upgradeaholic. I don’t think that fits you either because you don’t actually buy a tonne of upgrades so addiction isn’t a fair descriptor.

I am again reminded not to argue the finer points of English with a Brit. 😊

It's about time for me to update my speaker setup. Up 'til now I've been using a pair of Pioneer SP-FS52 floor speakers; they sound just fine and have suited me well for about five years now. I'd like to switch that for a set of bookshelf speakers. The issue is less acoustics and more aesthetics; the wife doesn't really like the big, blocky, black obelisks in the corner and would probably prefer something woodgrain. Budget-wise, I'm somewhere in the $500-$750 range; I could be convinced to dig deep, but I appreciate a good deal regardless.

Any suggestions?

It's about time for me to update my speaker setup. Up 'til now I've been using a pair of Pioneer SP-FS52 floor speakers; they sound just fine and have suited me well for about five years now. I'd like to switch that for a set of bookshelf speakers. The issue is less acoustics and more aesthetics; the wife doesn't really like the big, blocky, black obelisks in the corner and would probably prefer something woodgrain. Budget-wise, I'm somewhere in the $500-$750 range; I could be convinced to dig deep, but I appreciate a good deal regardless.

Any suggestions?
ELAC has a sale going on until the end of the month, the UniFi UB5 bookshelf is pretty nice I've heard. I've had other ELAC bookshelf speakers that I thought were fantastic. You may have to abandon the wood grain though ;)

Any suggestions?

What amplifier will they be going with?

33 watts per channel might be a little on the low side for elac’s they have a reputation for being power hungry. I’ll be interested to see what options our brains trust comes up with, there are plenty of options out there...
@dansomeone DM'd me re: a pair of Wharfendale Dentons they're considering parting with, which seem friendly with a 20-100 watt range. The receiver might be something I upgrade in the future; I do like it a lot, but it's a craigslist purchase from someone who refurbished it in their garage and not an incredibly deep investment.

@dansomeone DM'd me re: a pair of Wharfendale Dentons they're considering parting with, which seem friendly with a 20-100 watt range. The receiver might be something I upgrade in the future; I do like it a lot, but it's a craigslist purchase from someone who refurbished it in their garage and not an incredibly deep investment.

They’re oft mentioned, but I continue to hear good things about the Klipsch RP-600M.

That said, there is some discussion of midrange suck-out. Dunno if that’s a driver or crossover issue.

They would be a good move. I’d recommend more power down the road though.

The Dentons are really easy to listen to for long periods and are generally rather mellow. They’ve got great bass for their size.

This random discussion on upgrading made me buy a Milty Zerostat 🤷‍♂️
I’ve been eying one...anybody have experience with them or think they are worth it? I tend to get a lot of static on my records for some reason despite using the MoFi inners and an anti-static brush...

I’ve been eying one...anybody have experience with them or think they are worth it? I tend to get a lot of static on my records for some reason despite using the MoFi inners and an anti-static brush...

I like mine. It works as advertised.

Contrary zerostat opinion. A bit gimiky, hugely expensive, inconsistent, gave up the ghost too quickly. One of my bigger hifi wastes of money.

It is true that its usefulness does depend on how much static your climate produces, and it is a somewhat delicate, or at least finicky, device. But during the drier months here, it has been a lifesaver for me.

It is true that its usefulness does depend on how much static your climate produces, and it is a somewhat delicate, or at least finicky, device. But during the drier months here, it has been a lifesaver for me.

Maybe being in a much more humid environment (by that I mean it never fucking stops raining...) it’s less useful. Actually scrap that, humid suggests warmth, damp environment! I think most of the static that I have is caused by me. That said I wasn’t impressed by its ability to remove that static or it’s finikiness, I won’t be buying another!

Back