Record cleaning - what's your method?

Hi guys, wondered if you could help me with something. I bought a record at a carboot (super cheap at 50p so if theres no hope then its not the worst thing in the world) and there appears to be mold/mildew spots on one side. The other side is strangely spotless, but the other side has it pretty bad. I have looked online and they suggest using isopropyl alcohol and soap, leaving it to soak for a few minutes, then wiping it off carefully. My concern is that with all the videos I have seen it appears to be a different type of mold which covers the whole vinyl, not spots like this. Anyone have any advice?

IMG_9843.JPG

Hi guys, wondered if you could help me with something. I bought a record at a carboot (super cheap at 50p so if theres no hope then its not the worst thing in the world) and there appears to be mold/mildew spots on one side. The other side is strangely spotless, but the other side has it pretty bad. I have looked online and they suggest using isopropyl alcohol and soap, leaving it to soak for a few minutes, then wiping it off carefully. My concern is that with all the videos I have seen it appears to be a different type of mold which covers the whole vinyl, not spots like this. Anyone have any advice?

View attachment 56702

Oooohh! Manu Dibango! 👍🏻

This would be a record where I might finally try Scrubbing Bubbles or wood glue.

Oooohh! Manu Dibango! 👍🏻

This would be a record where I might finally try Scrubbing Bubbles or wood glue.

Thanks so much for this, I will give it a try! Im starting to think it's stained in. I used the alcohol and soap twice now and while the record itself looks incredibly clean now, the spots haven't even faded. Hopefully this other trick works.

Anyone have any recommendations for a good cleaning brush? The wood handle one from Okki Nokki keeps cracking and then the hair sections start to fall out. I'm on brush #3 now since i got the Okki Nokki in April of last year.

Anyone have any recommendations for a good cleaning brush? The wood handle one from Okki Nokki keeps cracking and then the hair sections start to fall out. I'm on brush #3 now since i got the Okki Nokki in April of last year.

I like my VPI brush. If the brush itself gets worn, you can get a replacement brush insert to put into the original metal hande.

I'm gonna agree with @HiFi Guy, I'm still using the original brush from my VPI and it's perfect......and I've had it almost 3 years ;)

I've got a record keeper brush that's already starting to fall apart. May pick one of these up once that happens!

I like my VPI brush. If the brush itself gets worn, you can get a replacement brush insert to put into the original metal hande.

I'm gonna agree with @HiFi Guy, I'm still using the original brush from my VPI and it's perfect......and I've had it almost 3 years ;)

Thanks! I'll add it to the shopping list 😬 (y)

Anyone seen this happen to their TTVJ fluid before? Looks almost like mold.

View attachment 59296
A few forum members have reported similar here and there if I remember correctly, which still baffles me. I've been through 2 batches, on my second now and have never gotten any "boogers".

The checklist:
  • Store in a cool dry place
  • Store out of direct light

View attachment 59296

I've had this happen with some batches after a long time unused, but not over short periods. I just replaced my squirt bottles and started mixing only as much as I could use in a week or two and have not had issues since.

View attachment 59296

I had that happen to my first bottle of TTVJ. Eventually, it also affected the TTVJ concentration as lumps of fungi started to come out. I think it was due to storage so when i got a second bottle of TTVJ, i've been storing that and the solution in a cabinet in the garage where there's no sunlight and cool. There's been no problem with it since.

Back