Equipment Recommendations - The Home For New System and Upgrade Advice

Thankfully my apartment isn’t ruled by any little furry sociopaths!

You will notice no “likes” on this. You are a cat guy. You just don’t know it yet. A cat is perfect for an apartment dweller.

I also notice that you use the term “apartment” as opposed to “flat”. It seems that you are picking up American terms. Is it us?

I was watching an Australian show recently where the people needed to take their dog to “back one out”. It’s the most perfect term ever. There’s no doubt of the meaning, and yet far more polite than “dump” or “shit”. Americans are such an unrefined lot.

You will notice no “likes” on this. You are a cat guy. You just don’t know it yet. A cat is perfect for an apartment dweller.

I also notice that you use the term “apartment” as opposed to “flat”. It seems that you are picking up American terms. Is it us?

I was watching an Australian show recently where the people needed to take their dog to “back one out”. It’s the most perfect term ever. There’s no doubt of the meaning, and yet far more polite than “dump” or “shit”. Americans are such an unrefined lot.

In all seriousness I wouldn’t have a cat, I don’t hate any animals obviously but i have a lot of friends with cats and me and them have an ablility to put each other on edge and I’m not quite sure what it is, plus having grown up with dogs I do love the big daft old affectionate things. So no pets for me until such a time as I move somewhere a bit more dog friendly!

As for apartment I seem to have picked that up since I moved to Ireland, they all seem to have adopted that “Americanism”, you are right though, in England they would only ever have called my place a flat!

I finally have the Musical Fidelity and Grado cart set up but there's one small thing. The right speaker has a slight crackle sound, that's because the speaker cable isn't attached to the MF properly, right?

Yes. There's no change when i go from CD to Tuner or any of the Aux.

Ok. It’s an amp problem or a speaker problem.

Change your connections at the rear of the amp. Connect the right speaker to the left speaker terminal. Connect the left speaker to the right terminal.

If the problem stays on the same side, it’s the speaker. If not, it’s the amp.

This is for real. I have watched Zu auctions get out of hand many times. My advice is to set a limit and place one bid for that limit as late as possible. Don't worry if you get outbid, because Zu will [might?] post the item again. Patience will eventually get you the item at a reasonable price.

EDIT: Zu might be running low on their supply of Mission-RCA Mk. 1 interconnect cable, as they haven't posted anything longer than 1.0m since May 8.
They are definitely running low on the Libtec speaker cables. It says so on all of the auctions. I’ve been trying to buy another pair but they have jumped up in price since I bought mine a little over a year ago...anybody know how the Mission speaker cables compare?

Ok. It’s an amp problem or a speaker problem.

Change your connections at the rear of the amp. Connect the right speaker to the left speaker terminal. Connect the left speaker to the right terminal.

If the problem stays on the same side, it’s the speaker. If not, it’s the amp.

I changed the connections and the slight crackle-like sound is in the left speaker now. So it's the amp?

What about this? When i press the ON button on the Musical Fidelity, the sub makes a loud oomph sound:

And when i press it again to turn it OFF, it makes these lower oopmh sounds

I changed the connections and the slight crackle-like sound is in the left speaker now. So it's the amp?

What about this? When i press the ON button on the Musical Fidelity, the sub makes a loud oomph sound:

And when i press it again to turn it OFF, it makes these lower oopmh sounds

It’s the amp. Try disconnecting the sub and see if the crackle noise goes away.

Edit: The on/off noises sound normal to me.

It’s the amp. Try disconnecting the sub and see if the crackle noise goes away.

Edit: The on/off noises sound normal to me.

Still there, this humming/crackle like noice.

It does? The sub thing is really loud. The sound in the videos isn't the best but i didn't experience those voices with the Onkyo.

Definitely an amp issue. I don’t hear the sub noise that you describe. I hear more like a loud relay click from the amplifier.

So the amp needs to be replaced?

It's definitely there. I almost crapped my pants the first time...and the second time haha

The OFF sound is apparently also caused by the sub. There's also no sound when i turn the MF ON or OFF if the sub is either turned off or i have turned the volume all the way down.

thankfully my upgraditis has calmed down knowing that the used cartridge will probably be available for a good while and that i dont have to go super fast

thankfully my upgraditis has calmed down knowing that the used cartridge will probably be available for a good while and that i dont have to go super fast

You do know that itis suggests an an allergy to something. I’m guessing what you’re taking about would be more akin to a phila...

You do know that itis suggests an an allergy to something. I’m guessing what you’re taking about would be more akin to a phila...
it could be more a sickness... the feeling that i need to buy so much stuff to have the best sound.. often symptoms include being jealous of other peoples better setups and have multiple hundreds of dollars planned in upgrades you dont even know if you want but just because you know people like them

it could be more a sickness... the feeling that i need to buy so much stuff to have the best sound.. often symptoms include being jealous of other peoples better setups and have multiple hundreds of dollars planned in upgrades you dont even know if you want but just because you know people like them

itis doesn't describe sickeness, it literally describes allergy. The word alone means inclination cause by. Hence people using the informal workitis or mondayitis. Upgradeitis would be you recoiling or being horrified by the thought of upgrading....

itis doesn't describe sickeness, it literally describes allergy. The word alone means inclination cause by. Hence people using the informal workitis or mondayitis. Upgradeitis would be you recoiling or being horrified by the thought of upgrading....
but then what would it be if you have a sudden addiction to spending on "better equipment" since you feel lesser with your setup

Back