Definitive Audiophile pressings

You may be right about the lathes, but the impression that I got is that they just do two in a row essentially, doesn't really matter which was is true, but saying they use the 45 master for the 33 is a very confusing way to put it. That's is the only issue I took with your initial statement.

Do you have any sources for this stuff about ALS tapes? I would be interested to read them and I'm sure Fremer and Hoffman would be as well if you care to educate them.

Perhaps we are hung up on semantics here, but according to Steve Hoffman, no ALS (including first presses) was ever cut with the original RVG tape as it was redubbed before any cutting was done and all subsequent "from original tapes" cuts (ostensibly including this one) were cut from that redub. Not sure if that's what you mean or not.

View attachment 65145

View attachment 65146
I think y'all are saying the same thing now. That redubbing tape is what Fremer is referring to when he says "original master tape". It would have made huge news if they somehow found the actual original tape. The EMI tape they found at Abbey Road a few years back I believe is the closest to an OG tape that exists from what I have read.

My Louis & Oscar just showed up. Mine also suffered from the very tight shrink wrap. My vinyl looks fine but I think if they end up sitting in boxes for 6+ months, they will be all badly warped.

I think y'all are saying the same thing now. That redubbing tape is what Fremer is referring to when he says "original master tape". It would have made huge news if they somehow found the actual original tape. The EMI tape they found at Abbey Road a few years back I believe is the closest to an OG tape that exists from what I have read.
Sounds like there isn't an original tape according to Hoffman. I'm not sure what exactly they did at bell sound, but it sounds like the original recording tape went in and all that came out was the re-dub, which he has also referred to as "the cutting tape" I don't know anything about that process so I can't venture a guess as to why.

Last edited:
There isn't an original tape according to Hoffman. I'm not sure what exactly they did at bell sound, but in sounds like the original recording tape went in and all that came out was the re-dub. I don't know anything about that process so I can't venture a guess as to why.
He says it in one of those posts--companies did redubs to simply bill more. It was standard practice back then. It was also sadly standard practice in the 70s for a lot of actual masters to just get thrown out or they were poorly taken care of. ABC in particular had lots of cost-cutting which resulted in lots of sad consequences. Michael Cuscuna who has overseen tons of jazz reissues said this:

"When I first went into the Impulse vaults in 1978, they had been very mistreated. The tapes had been moved from New York to L.A., so as early as 1969 or '70 there was already stuff missing. I was able to find a lot of good Coltrane that was unissued, and of course I tore the place apart trying to find what I thought was an entire alternate version of [the]Love Supreme suite, with Archie Shepp and Art Davis, but found nothing..."

"I'm ninety-nine percent sure the master tapes of A LOVE SUPREME were scrapped. This happened to a lot of popular recordings in the seventies, not only jazz. They would dub from the original tape, making new masters for fear that the old one was wearing out, oxide was falling off, or the splices were getting old and drying up. That's OK, but often they threw the original away because they didn't want to double the tape inventory they had!"

And from Ashley Kahn's book (the foremost expert on Coltrane) regarding ALS:

all previous versions were from a second generation master. A first generation master was found at EMI/Abbey Road studios where it was shipped for production of the LP when it was first released in 1965. The book also says that, unlike previous versions, this new tape was not compressed or EQ'd. One more reason to buy this classic again.

He says it in one of those posts--companies did redubs to simply bill more. It was standard practice back then. It was also sadly standard practice in the 70s for a lot of actual masters to just get thrown out or they were poorly taken care of. ABC in particular had lots of cost-cutting which resulted in lots of sad consequences. Michael Cuscuna who has overseen tons of jazz reissues said this:

"When I first went into the Impulse vaults in 1978, they had been very mistreated. The tapes had been moved from New York to L.A., so as early as 1969 or '70 there was already stuff missing. I was able to find a lot of good Coltrane that was unissued, and of course I tore the place apart trying to find what I thought was an entire alternate version of [the]Love Supreme suite, with Archie Shepp and Art Davis, but found nothing..."

"I'm ninety-nine percent sure the master tapes of A LOVE SUPREME were scrapped. This happened to a lot of popular recordings in the seventies, not only jazz. They would dub from the original tape, making new masters for fear that the old one was wearing out, oxide was falling off, or the splices were getting old and drying up. That's OK, but often they threw the original away because they didn't want to double the tape inventory they had!"

all previous versions were from a second generation master. A first generation master was found at EMI/Abbey Road studios where it was shipped for production of the LP when it was first released in 1965. The book also says that, unlike preciou versions, this new tape was not compressed or EQ'd. One more reason to buy this classic again.
May be true. It's strange that out of many Impulse titles of the same era, it seems a Love Supreme was the only one that happened to though if what he said is was common. And if what Steve said was true, that the only time ALS original master was used was at bell sound, then I'm not sure why it would be wearing out.

Someone quoted that same thing from Kahn in that thread and Steve just said "That is so not true!".

May be true. It's strange that out of many Impulse titles of the same era, it seems a Love Supreme was the only one that happened to though if what he said is was common.

Someone quoted that same thing from Kahn in that thread and Steve just said "That is so not true!".
I think it happened with a lot of impulse titles though...People tend to play fast and loose with the term "original master tapes"...it sounds better than "from 2nd generation dub tapes". A lot of Impulse! titles haven't been reissued since ABC took such bad care and cut so many corners in the 70s with older albums.

I'd probably tend to believe Kahn over Hoffman on this since he's a well-regarded music historian and has no vested interest in reissue campaigns, while Hoffman can't get his story straight on a lot of stuff...he often can't remember sources on stuff that he, himself cut.

Hoffman also says:

“If your original LP cut has “BELL SOUND” stamped in the deadwax it’s the dub. If it has RVG there, it ain’t. I’ve never seen an RVG cut version but I’ve never actually looked either. Any of you have a RVG cut of this?”

I have an OG mono copy with RVG stamped in the deadwax...

The whole thing is very confusing though hah. I don't know that anybody knows any facts about it although it seems most people seem to think the OG master tape doesn't exist anymore.

I think it happened with a lot of impulse titles though...People tend to play fast and loose with the term "original master tapes"...it sounds better than "from 2nd generation dub tapes". A lot of Impulse! titles haven't been reissued since ABC took such bad care and cut so many corners in the 70s with older albums.

I'd probably tend to believe Kahn over Hoffman on this since he's a well-regarded music historian and has no vested interest in reissue campaigns, while Hoffman can't get his story straight on a lot of stuff...he often can't remember sources on stuff that he, himself cut.

Hoffman also says:

“If your original LP cut has “BELL SOUND” stamped in the deadwax it’s the dub. If it has RVG there, it ain’t. I’ve never seen an RVG cut version but I’ve never actually looked either. Any of you have a RVG cut of this?”

I have an OG mono copy with RVG stamped in the deadwax...

The whole thing is very confusing though hah. I don't know that anybody knows any facts about it although it seems most people seem to think the OG master tape doesn't exist anymore.
I just mean with Hoffman saying he worked on a reissue campaign of 12 Impulse reissues and he says all were from original masters except ALS, that doesn't sound like it was true for those other 11 titles. But, maybe they picked the ones where they were available intentionally and threw ALS in because it would sell.

Ha, that's funny about the RVG, he is frustrating with his contradictions over the years. Mono would be a different tape I'm sure, but I've heard it is a fold on this one. Do you know for sure?

Yeah, I think if anything we can say for sure that we don't know since there is a lot of conflicting info.

I just mean with Hoffman saying he worked on a reissue campaign of 12 Impulse reissues and he says all were from original masters except ALS, that doesn't sound like it was true for those other 11 titles. But, maybe they picked the ones where they were available intentionally and threw ALS in because it would sell.

Ha, that's funny about the RVG, he is frustrating with his contradictions over the years. Mono would be a different tape I'm sure, but I've heard it is a fold on this one. Do you know for sure?

Yeah, I think if anything we can say for sure that we don't know since there is a lot of conflicting info.
Kahn says it’s a fold down cause only a stereo was cut.

all previous versions were from a second generation master. A first generation master was found at EMI/Abbey Road studios where it was shipped for production of the LP when it was first released in 1965. The book also says that, unlike previous versions, this new tape was not compressed or EQ'd. One more reason to buy this classic again.

This sounds right, seems to be backed up by what Fremer said about the ALS reissue:

'Is that at some time in the 1970s, ABC made a one off the master copy fearing that the original might be shedding oxide or whatever, and that it then threw away the master (insane but it was the '70s). So this one off the master became the master that's now being used. Since many, many "original pressings" from the 60s and 70s were sourced from a "running master" or an "EQ'd copy" or a 3-2 mix down, I feel calling this tape a "master tape" is acceptable.'

Fremer hints that they wanted to do more Impulse and other titles in this AS x Verve series but Kassem wasn't happy with the sources available. I think the issue is more rampant than people tend to acknowledge. Also, for the record, I'm just not a huge fan of Hoffman's work so that may bias my interpretations of what he says sometimes. He does just seem really inconsistent with things and often takes shots at other pressings that other engineers made. I never entirely believe him because of the contradictions. It's also extremely hard to figure out details of some things because there are lots of different stories from different people.

I don't know about the fold down (I'm guessing it is a fold down though but it sounds pretty good to me), but there are definitely RVG copies out there. Whether or not those are from "original masters" is another story though. But I think Rudy is the one who did the newish remaster a few years back with the EMI tape if I'm not mixing up my stories...and he thought that tape was better than the one used in previous pressings.

This sounds right, seems to be backed up by what Fremer said about the ALS reissue:

'Is that at some time in the 1970s, ABC made a one off the master copy fearing that the original might be shedding oxide or whatever, and that it then threw away the master (insane but it was the '70s). So this one off the master became the master that's now being used. Since many, many "original pressings" from the 60s and 70s were sourced from a "running master" or an "EQ'd copy" or a 3-2 mix down, I feel calling this tape a "master tape" is acceptable.'
That's the other quote I was looking for. Thanks!

Fremer hints that they wanted to do more Impulse and other titles in this AS x Verve series but Kassem wasn't happy with the sources available. I think the issue is more rampant than people tend to acknowledge. Also, for the record, I'm just not a huge fan of Hoffman's work so that may bias my interpretations of what he says sometimes. He does just seem really inconsistent with things and often takes shots at other pressings that other engineers made. I never entirely believe him because of the contradictions. It's also extremely hard to figure out details of some things because there are lots of different stories from different people.

I don't know about the fold down (I'm guessing it is a fold down though but it sounds pretty good to me), but there are definitely RVG copies out there. Whether or not those are from "original masters" is another story though. But I think Rudy is the one who did the newish remaster a few years back with the EMI tape if I'm not mixing up my stories...and he thought that tape was better than the one used in previous pressings.

That's the other quote I was looking for. Thanks!
I am hardly a fan of Hoffman's work and there is a massive amount of misinformation on his forum.

There were few true mono mixes of RVG Impulse titles, likely because the Impulse aesthetic was 'deluxe', high end.

But to say a fold down is not a true mono mix is not always accurate either. First, a two track stereo recording in mono is always a fold. Even four track. Not much to mix there. But RVG would often tweak the foldown, so it is not necessarily just straight summing the channels.

RVG did indeed use that tape for his remaster. I assume it was the source for the Universal two disc pressing as well.

As to Fremer's comment about Chad wanting to do more Impulse - Chad doesnt know jazz, he is a blues guy. So he picks by the sales charts mostly. He would never do Pharoah Sanders (maybe Karma, if that) or Shepp or the fabulous recordings Sam Rivers, John Klemmer, Gato Barbieri or Dewey Redman did for Impulse. Or Yusef Lateef, for which no tapes exist. Alice Coltrane would be a huge stretch.

ALS sells, still. So does Ballads and Getz\ Gilberto. Record stores stock them and they sell to vinyl newbies and OCD collectors steadily. Nothing wrong with that. That IMO is what this series is for. Nothing at all similar to Tone Poet which is bringing many underappreciated gems back to life.

I am hardly a fan of Hoffman's work and there is a massive amount of misinformation on his forum.

There were few true mono mixes of RVG Impulse titles, likely because the Impulse aesthetic was 'deluxe', high end.

But to say a fold down is not a true mono mix is not always accurate either. First, a two track stereo recording in mono is always a fold. Even four track. Not much to mix there. But RVG would often tweak the foldown, so it is not necessarily just straight summing the channels.

RVG did indeed use that tape for his remaster. I assume it was the source for the Universal two disc pressing as well.

As to Fremer's comment about Chad wanting to do more Impulse - Chad doesnt know jazz, he is a blues guy. So he picks by the sales charts mostly. He would never do Pharoah Sanders (maybe Karma, if that) or Shepp or the fabulous recordings Sam Rivers, John Klemmer, Gato Barbieri or Dewey Redman did for Impulse. Or Yusef Lateef, for which no tapes exist. Alice Coltrane would be a huge stretch.

ALS sells, still. So does Ballads and Getz\ Gilberto. Record stores stock them and they sell to vinyl newbies and OCD collectors steadily. Nothing wrong with that. That IMO is what this series is for. Nothing at all similar to Tone Poet which is bringing many underappreciated gems back to life.
Tone Poet also is what it is because the licenses on their bigger titles have been given out to MM and why would anybody buy any MM titles if the same exact team was making the same exact pressings for half the price or less? This series is taking the same approach but adapting AP OOP titles and some other crowd pleasers for a new audience. There isn’t as much demand for an entire series of lesser known Impulse titles and when a lot of impulse masters were destroyed in the UMG Fire, it likely becomes harder for them to reissue AAA titles. ABC also was notorious for throwing away a lot of masters sadly instead of preserving them when they took over Impulse.

@Mather and others who are looking for Electric Warrior MoFi—the guy at Toad Hall, who is pretty clued into MoFi releases, seems to think that the MoFi Electric Warrior is not limited. He thinks that since it has been selling so well that it should be in print for awhile.
Oh great, that's good to hear. It's no where up here yet. I have it on order...

FWIW I have a RVG stamped A Love Supreme from the late 60’s on the ABC/Impulse label. I’ve had other non RVG ones too from the same era, but the RVG sounded best to me. Only problem with them is there is a buzzing that is baked into the master in one of the channels than can definitely be heard at the beginning of the record. I never thought of ALS being a fantastic sounding recording in the first place either so hopefully this new one will be my go to.

I just snagged these from AS's 15% off sale... All 33RPM

Johnny Hartman/ Once In Every Life
Cat Stevens/ Tea For The Tillerman
Michel Legrand/ Legrand Jazz

Anyone else have these? I have high expectations.

I received these yesterday and am listening this morning.

Johnny Hartman -> Sounds amazing, he really has an incredible voice. I was not familiar with him at all but it was a pleasant surprise.
Cat Stevens -> I thought it sounded great. My pressing was mildly warped and had a very small rough area on the edge. Maybe I was being too strict, but there were moments when the vocals sounded a bit distorted. Whether this is the pressing, my gear, or the way it was recorded, I'm not sure I'll ever know. I'll throw it on Spotify later to see if I hear the same thing. It was in the particularly loud vocal moments.
Legrand Jazz -> This is probably my favorite of the 3. I'm still on Side A right now, but I think it's maybe the best sounding Jazz record I own now. I highly recommend this one for Jazz fans.

I received these yesterday and am listening this morning.

Johnny Hartman -> Sounds amazing, he really has an incredible voice. I was not familiar with him at all but it was a pleasant surprise.
Cat Stevens -> I thought it sounded great. My pressing was mildly warped and had a very small rough area on the edge. Maybe I was being too strict, but there were moments when the vocals sounded a bit distorted. Whether this is the pressing, my gear, or the way it was recorded, I'm not sure I'll ever know. I'll throw it on Spotify later to see if I hear the same thing. It was in the particularly loud vocal moments.
Legrand Jazz -> This is probably my favorite of the 3. I'm still on Side A right now, but I think it's maybe the best sounding Jazz record I own now. I highly recommend this one for Jazz fans.
Been eyeing that Legrand Jazz for some time now. It’s time to pull the trigger soon

Back