Definitive Audiophile pressings

I think Dylan is the best sounding one I own. I recently picked up Marvin Gaye (which sounds good but has some weird distortion only on the first track with S sounds...I don’t know that it’s sibilance because it isn’t on any other tracks). And I have yet to find the time to sit down with Mingus. Monk sounds great too but Dylan is the one that really blew me away the most so far.

Any budgets I had on vinyl were blown at the start of the month, but I've taken the plunge an ordered blood on the tracks from amazon.jp (I hope they pack it well for shipping). Not as cheap as some, but still the cheapest I could find (and the most I have spent on one album by far). Re reading comments on here & then the comments on Discogs, it sounds like this is something not to be missed.

Just a heads up. Some issues with the Joe Henderson Vol 1 Tone Poet. Numerous people reporting general noise across the album and loud pops on Track 2. I just got it and can confirm same issue.
My is also quiet and plays well.
They seem to have given up on giving you warped records that you could fix and instead given you records that you would need to Frankenstein to fix.
YOU KNOW WHAT YOU NEED TO BUILD NEXT!!!

Got the Dylan One Step through today from Japan. Looks nice, the OBI is quite a nice touch, I think it's the same run as the US ones, with an OBI and leaflet added on the outside.

Very busy with work, so I think I'll save playing it to the weekend, when I can spend a bit of time with it.

Also, just missed out on an eBay bid for the Monk. One-step. But I'm still thinking I'll get the Impex for that, unless anyone has it and convinces me it's worth the difference.

Got the Dylan One Step through today from Japan. Looks nice, the OBI is quite a nice touch, I think it's the same run as the US ones, with an OBI and leaflet added on the outside.

Very busy with work, so I think I'll save playing it to the weekend, when I can spend a bit of time with it.

Also, just missed out on an eBay bid for the Monk. One-step. But I'm still thinking I'll get the Impex for that, unless anyone has it and convinces me it's worth the difference.
Be careful with the Impex, lots of reports of no fill on that one. I was looking at it too. Might be best to go for an opened and play tested copy, unless you can get it for a really low price unopened.

Be careful with the Impex, lots of reports of no fill on that one. I was looking at it too. Might be best to go for an opened and play tested copy, unless you can get it for a really low price unopened.

good tip. Maybe I should have bid more in the mofi

Original pressing sounds quite fine as well. I haven’t heard the impex or one step, but it’s a pretty good recording imo. They can be had for $20 or so in good condition.

My Monk One Step just shipped from Music Direct and should be here this weekend. I also have the Impex version, and I’ll be doing a comparison. I’ll let you know what I think!

that would be great. Cheers
Got the One Step and did a comparison with the Impex. Overall, I'd give it to the One-Step, but not by much. I would say that the One-Step sounds a bit more crisp (particularly Monk's piano) and the soundstage is really nice, but the Impex is right behind it. The One Step comes with two really nice prints of Monk from the session, which is cool, but the Impex doesn't lack in packaging either. In fact, its probably one of the nicest covers I have - solid tip-on with a nice gloss. In the end, I love the album and am happy with the One-Step, but I wouldn't say its a necessary upgrade.

If you're on the fence, and the difference is about $100, I would say it may not be worth it to spring for the One-Step. Regardless, I think you'll be happy either way.

Hope this helps!

Got the One Step and did a comparison with the Impex. Overall, I'd give it to the One-Step, but not by much. I would say that the One-Step sounds a bit more crisp (particularly Monk's piano) and the soundstage is really nice, but the Impex is right behind it. The One Step comes with two really nice prints of Monk from the session, which is cool, but the Impex doesn't lack in packaging either. In fact, its probably one of the nicest covers I have - solid tip-on with a nice gloss. In the end, I love the album and am happy with the One-Step, but I wouldn't say its a necessary upgrade.

If you're on the fence, and the difference is about $100, I would say it may not be worth it to spring for the One-Step. Regardless, I think you'll be happy either way.

Hope this helps!

Great review, really appreciate it. I think I'll look to get an Impex if it's that close.

Cheers

Hope this helps!
Which Impex? Looks like there are at least two (2012, 2017). (Sorry if you've provided this information somewhere earlier in this thread.)

For you Johnny Cash fans, I picked up Orange Blossom Special on the Exhibit label (I had never heard of them before), pressed at QRP remastered by Kevin Gray. It's fairly inexpensive but it's an amazing pressing. I picked it up on a whim based on QRP and KG and it does not disappoint.
If you're looking for cheap audiophile Johnny Cash, I recommend it. Dead quiet wax, tip on gatefold jacket and very well done remaster as per usual. Johnny Cash - Orange Blossom Special

I highly recommend the recent Abbey Road Half-Speed mastered pressing of Amy Winehouse's Frank! It sounds very, very, very good! Everything is extremely balanced, the vocals shine and the instrumentation is very clear and has a lot of energy to them! It's a very dynamic pressing and sounds a little better than the Abbey Road Half-Speed mastered pressing of Back To Black!

I have the 2015 pressing of Amy Winehouse's Frank which also sounded good, but this 2020 Abbey Road pressing is definitely the definitive pressing of Frank! Can't recommend it enough; it's an absolute joy to spin, even though both discs are warped!

Back