Definitive Audiophile pressings

I don't understand your comment .
The Getz/Gilberto one is unique because the guy listed as the mastering engineer died in 2012. So they used his master for the AP 45RPM of Getz/Gilberto and then likely used that for the 33 in this series. The rest of the comment doesn’t make sense though as a bunch of these titles were not released on AP prior to this current series and others that were issued on AP already don’t use the same engineers as the AP pressings.

The Getz/Gilberto one is unique because the guy listed as the mastering engineer died in 2012. So they used his master for the AP 45RPM of Getz/Gilberto and then likely used that for the 33 in this series. The rest of the comment doesn’t make sense though as a bunch of these titles were not released on AP prior to this current series and others that were issued on AP already don’t use the same engineers as the AP pressings.
Its still two different cuttings even on that one though, he may have used the same notes that he used on the 45, but they are unique cuts from the original tapes, so it doesn't make much sense either way.

I just got the Louis Armstrong meets Oscar Peterson new pressing from the Acoustic Sounds Series. It’s a gatefold and came shrink wrapped very very tight and is pretty warped. Oddly, it plays fine but man was I pissed when I saw how tight that wrap was.
Be aware that this is a thing. Hopefully you get a good one as the album sounds unreal!

I just got the Louis Armstrong meets Oscar Peterson new pressing from the Acoustic Sounds Series. It’s a gatefold and came shrink wrapped very very tight and is pretty warped. Oddly, it plays fine but man was I pissed when I saw how tight that wrap was.
Be aware that this is a thing. Hopefully you get a good one as the album sounds unreal!
Yea I’ve actually seen the complaint about the shrink being tight which is weird because QRP usually has those bag type sleeves with the tear off. But UMe seems to have opted for the tight shrink...I also heard that the Louis album has a lot of distortion on the vocals but supposedly it’s from the original recording and that Louis was too close to the mic. I might eventually pick this one up though! So far only have the Coltranes on order.

Yea I’ve actually seen the complaint about the shrink being tight which is weird because QRP usually has those bag type sleeves with the tear off. But UMe seems to have opted for the tight shrink...I also heard that the Louis album has a lot of distortion on the vocals but supposedly it’s from the original recording and that Louis was too close to the mic. I might eventually pick this one up though! So far only have the Coltranes on order.
Definitely a fair amount of distortion near the end of side A but it sounded like it was from the recording not the warp. It’s still worth getting even with the distortion, it kinda adds to it in a weird way

Its still two different cuttings even on that one though, he may have used the same notes that he used on the 45, but they are unique cuts from the original tapes, so it doesn't make much sense either way.
Sure they are two different cuts, they have to be - the older is 45, the newest 33. Lacquers are fragile, they are used in plating then done after a few uses. With the Getz he either cut 33 and 45 lacquers as he mastered or they are using the 45 cuts to do the 33.
Anyways, it is pretty certain that the true master no longer exists.
Nor does the ALS true master tape. That was known to have been thrown out. Everything done analog with ALS has been from a copy tape for some time.
None of this really matters at the end of the day.

Sure they are two different cuts, they have to be - the older is 45, the newest 33. Lacquers are fragile, they are used in plating then done after a few uses. With the Getz he either cut 33 and 45 lacquers as he mastered or they are using the 45 cuts to do the 33.
Nor does the ALS true master tape. That was known to have been thrown out. Everything done analog with ALS has been from a copy tape for some time.
Saying the two different cuts are the same mastering doesn't make a lot of sense. They should sound similar and if your point was not to rebuy if you have the 45, then I think that is probably good advice unless you prefer 33s.

I don't think you are correct about ALS. At least Fremer, who has talked to Kassem said the opposite. He said the Getz master still exists too, but they decided to use this since it existed and was a great master.

Edi: I posted this earlier but here is what I'm referring to:
Screenshot_20200906-234131.png

Can vouch for the distortion on Louis Meets Oscar, it’s most obvious on the last song of Side A, his voice definitely splatters out at the higher ends of his vocal deliveries which would seem to be consistent with it being a recording issue, sounds like Louis got a bit too intimate with the microphone 😂. I found it a bit distracting at times but other than that I’m glad I own the record, the Getz/Gilberto on the other hand is flawless.

Yeah, mine has a minor bit of a warp too. Sounds insanely good though

Same with the Getz/Gilberto. It was wrapped ridiculously tight. My record has a slight warp, but nothing worth complaining about.

I'm not sure that lacquers are quite as fragile as you state. My understanding is they often cut a 33 & 45 at the same time, but. just release one version. You are probably right that once it has been used there will be a limited lifespan for the lacquer. Again from Analog planet:

'BTW: it's a not particularly well-guarded secret, but in case you didn't know: when reissue labels cut lacquers at 33 1/3 they almost always also cut at 45 for a later reissue. Just so you know that this one was cut from the same tape on the same lathe at the same time.'

This was in the context of an Impex release, but I think this works both ways & probably applies to the Getz/Gilberto release.

Last edited:
Just popped in to say the AP33 pressing of Miles' "Someday My Prince Will Come" that VMP was selling is absolutely phenomenal. I gave it a spin with headphones late last night. So quiet and an amazing soundstage. You can even hear the stools creaking periodically as the musicians move about the studio.

Just popped in to say the AP33 pressing of Miles' "Someday My Prince Will Come" that VMP was selling is absolutely phenomenal. I gave it a spin with headphones late last night. So quiet and an amazing soundstage. You can even hear the stools creaking periodically as the musicians move about the studio.
Fantastic to hear, thanks for this. Im saving mine for when I have time to properly relax and absorb it.

Saying the two different cuts are the same mastering doesn't make a lot of sense. They should sound similar and if your point was not to rebuy if you have the 45, then I think that is probably good advice unless you prefer 33s.

I don't think you are correct about ALS. At least Fremer, who has talked to Kassem said the opposite. He said the Getz master still exists too, but they decided to use this since it existed and was a great master.

View attachment 65090
FWIW, some people think that Fremer is confusing "original master tape" with those duplicate early dubs or the EMI dub that was recently found. But they should still be from very early, 1st generation dubs of masters and if it sounds good, that's okay with me. The way people know is that I believe there was a fade or something on one of the ALS "masters" which obviously would not have been there on the true master tapes. I do wish they had done the KG AP cut on this one but Ryan Smith is no slouch either.

Anybody own the Pure Pleasure pressings of I Can't Stand The Rain by Ann Peebles or From A Whisper To A Scream by Ester Phillips? Thinking of picking those up in the AS sale today. I think Pure Pleasure is pretty great from most accounts but wanted to see if anybody has any of these in particular! Thanks!

View attachment 65090
not to prolong this, because it doesnt really matter much - but it is common to cut the same mastering to 33 and 45 if being done at the same time. Presumably Marino had two lathes fed by the same console.
As to repurchase, that is a hole I dont care to go down. Sure, I want records that sound great. But if I have that, there are better ways to spend my money than repeat purchases of warhorses seeking some audio holy grail.
I like Getz Gilberto, but dont feel it is the best Getz. Sweet Rain might be. I dont need to repeat on my 45 pressing.
ALS original tape - the true RVG - was tossed long before the fire. That is not to say tapes do not exist, just not the true original. Again, that matter little. A good sounding tape is a good sounding tape.
i have the Japanese 200g pressings of Ballads, ALS and others, all analog, which are magnificent and I feel no need to repurchase. The 2LP Universal reissue of ALS sounds great too. I have gone as far as I need to with ALS.
There are so many great reissues of very worthy off the beaten tracks jazz as well as many phenomenal new titles coming out.
My budget is healthy but not unlimited. If it is a choice between Chip Wickhams amazing Blue to Red and yet another Getz\Gilberto, I go with Chip!

not to prolong this, because it doesnt really matter much - but it is common to cut the same mastering to 33 and 45 if being done at the same time. Presumably Marino had two lathes fed by the same console.
As to repurchase, that is a hole I dont care to go down. Sure, I want records that sound great. But if I have that, there are better ways to spend my money than repeat purchases of warhorses seeking some audio holy grail.
I like Getz Gilberto, but dont feel it is the best Getz. Sweet Rain might be. I dont need to repeat on my 45 pressing.
ALS original tape - the true RVG - was tossed long before the fire. That is not to say tapes do not exist, just not the true original. Again, that matter little. A good sounding tape is a good sounding tape.
i have the Japanese 200g pressings of Ballads, ALS and others, all analog, which are magnificent and I feel no need to repurchase. The 2LP Universal reissue of ALS sounds great too. I have gone as far as I need to with ALS.
There are so many great reissues of very worthy off the beaten tracks jazz as well as many phenomenal new titles coming out.
My budget is healthy but not unlimited. If it is a choice between Chip Wickhams amazing Blue to Red and yet another Getz\Gilberto, I go with Chip!
All fair points regarding repurchasing. If you have copies you're happy with, I don't think you really need to upgrade. I upgrade on some titles but generally if I have a copy I'm happy with, I don't double-dip unless I can sell my older copy to cover the cost of the new one. I'm just happy so many titles are being released AAA now at pretty good prices. I've been trying to mostly buy albums that I know will sound great as opposed to my early days of just amassing as many records as I could that I might like.

That Chip Wickham record is amazing too. Grabbed that one recently.

You may be right about the lathes, but the impression that I got is that they just do two in a row essentially, doesn't really matter which was is true, but saying they use the 45 master for the 33 is a very confusing way to put it. That's is the only issue I took with your initial statement.

Do you have any sources for this stuff about ALS tapes? I would be interested to read them and I'm sure Fremer and Hoffman would be as well if you care to educate them.

Perhaps we are hung up on semantics here, but according to Steve Hoffman, no ALS (including first presses) was ever cut with the original RVG tape as it was redubbed before any cutting was done and all subsequent "from original tapes" cuts (ostensibly including this one) were cut from that redub. Not sure if that's what you mean or not.

Screenshot_20200907-130106.png

Screenshot_20200907-130135.png

Back