Covers

I recently had quite a moment with this, I think this really is the ultimate LAV for me. Kind of hard to believe that it actually happened, but also that it hadn't already happened either, if that makes sense.

I came here to post this one:

Before this year I probably would have said I sort of liked Björk, but there was something I suppose I didn't get. But when I heard this, something clicked really hard and since then I've been obsessed, she is now one of my all time favorite artists.

Erika Wennerstrom (of Heartless Bastards) covering Townes' 'Be Here To Love Me'. Had not heard this one until this morning, and it is a really nice interpretation.

Pretty straightforward (but nice) take on Lou Reed's 'Perfect Day' from Karen O and Danger Mouse. This one is very much in Karen O's wheelhouse.

Not a radical departure in arrangement from the original, but I still really enjoy Grace Jones' take on Tom Petty's 'Breakdown'.

the entire album (A Sailor’s Guide to Earth) is aces. my favorite from that year.

Yeah, I heard In Bloom and that put Sturgill on the map for me, then I picked up Sailor's Guide and realized it's probably the worst song on there!

This is hella late, but I've basically been listening to Sailor's Guide To Earth since these posts. Incredible album. In Bloom is still a top 3 track for me but not a day has gone by where I haven't listened to Sea Stories, Oh Sarah, or Call To Arms. This'll definitely show up somewhere in my decade-end list, just wish I checked it out WAY sooner

I can't believe I forgot to mention one of my all-time favorite songs; Donny Hathaway's cover of John Lennon's "Jealous Guy" is superb

The Bird And The Bee posted one of the songs from their upcoming album of Van Halen covers.... "Hot For Teacher" featuring Beck as "teacher" 😂

I couldn't really find a good place to post about this, but thought it kind of applied here? If not, sue me ;)

I was listening to Swing Down Chariot by Rufus & Chaka Kahn and Mothership Connection (Star Child) by Parliament on the same day recently and realized they had the same song sample in it. It got me to look into that song's origin (late 1800s spiritual), history (many covers) and evolution ("humorous version") and where it's been interpolated (Parliament) and sampled (Dr. Dre) in other songs. It's amazing to hear the track's evolution through time, so much so to me I created a playlist of 9 songs on Spotify and just keep listening through it haha It details the history of the song from its origins as Swing Low, Sweet Chariot (late 1800s spiritual popularized in 1909 by Fisk University's Fisk Jubilee Singers with covers by Bing Crosby, Sam Cooke and Eric Clapton), to that song's adaptation into Swing Down, Sweet Chariot (popularized by the 1940s version from the Golden Gate Quartet along with a cover from Elvis and this Rufus version), to that song's interpolation on Parliament's Mothership Connection (Star Child), and finally the sampling of that song on Dr. Dre's hit Let Me Ride. Not sure why I'm so into it and can't stop listening to it haha but if you're interested here is the playlist I created (NOTE: Dr. Dre's album The Chronic isn't on Spotify so I've been listening to Let Me Ride on YouTube when the playlist ends haha):

Again, not sure if this is the right place, so feel free to send me somewhere else if you think it fits better, but I'm definitely interested in any other examples like this where something has been sampled a few times or used in different genres or has evolved over time if you've got any!

I couldn't really find a good place to post about this, but thought it kind of applied here? If not, sue me ;)

I was listening to Swing Down Chariot by Rufus & Chaka Kahn and Mothership Connection (Star Child) by Parliament on the same day recently and realized they had the same song sample in it. It got me to look into that song's origin (late 1800s spiritual), history (many covers) and evolution ("humorous version") and where it's been interpolated (Parliament) and sampled (Dr. Dre) in other songs. It's amazing to hear the track's evolution through time, so much so to me I created a playlist of 9 songs on Spotify and just keep listening through it haha It details the history of the song from its origins as Swing Low, Sweet Chariot (late 1800s spiritual popularized in 1909 by Fisk University's Fisk Jubilee Singers with covers by Bing Crosby, Sam Cooke and Eric Clapton), to that song's adaptation into Swing Down, Sweet Chariot (popularized by the 1940s version from the Golden Gate Quartet along with a cover from Elvis and this Rufus version), to that song's interpolation on Parliament's Mothership Connection (Star Child), and finally the sampling of that song on Dr. Dre's hit Let Me Ride. Not sure why I'm so into it and can't stop listening to it haha but if you're interested here is the playlist I created (NOTE: Dr. Dre's album The Chronic isn't on Spotify so I've been listening to Let Me Ride on YouTube when the playlist ends haha):

Again, not sure if this is the right place, so feel free to send me somewhere else if you think it fits better, but I'm definitely interested in any other examples like this where something has been sampled a few times or used in different genres or has evolved over time if you've got any!

Did your research lead you to its use as an anthem in the game of rugby? It’s been sung by players and fans at rugby games for as long as I remember. I’ve no idea why or when it was adopted as such but thought it might interest you.

Back