Covers

Bohnjaggs

Spotify Master Playlist

I know we had a thread for cover songs on the old forum but it didn't get a lot of use. My Spotify shuffle has been playing quite a few covers the last couple of days so I thought that I would start another thread here...

A few years back (for RSD), Tears For Fears released an EP of cover songs ... Arcade Fire, Hot Chip, and this one by Animal Collective. I'm not a huge AC fan so I actually like this version better than the original.

What are some of your favorite cover songs?

Last edited:
Back when I was a kid, Levi's did really cool ad campaigns in the UK (no idea if they were global) and one of them involved a gorgeous dude burying his jeans. The tune was the first blues record I ever remember buying (on 7" single, wish I still had it). It was Heartattack and Vine and for years, I had no idea it was a Tom Waits song. This is the Screamin' Jay Hawkins version from the ad. I've grown to love the TW version but this was the original to me and there's times where the man sounds possessed in the absolute best ways.

Forgot all about this one till I pulled out this album today. A not-so-obvious Richard Hell song, covered by a largely forgotten early act on Creation Records. The Richard Hell songwriting pared with 80s UK Jangle is amazing.

I know we had a thread for cover songs on the old forum but it didn't get a lot of use. My Spotify shuffle has been playing quite a few covers the last couple of days so I thought that I would start another thread here...

A few years back (for RSD), Tears For Fears released an EP of cover songs ... Arcade Fire, Hot Chip, and this one by Animal Collective. I'm not a huge AC fan so I actually like this version better than the original.

I saw them do the Arcade Fire "Ready To Start" cover, along with one of Radiohead's "Creep, live in 2014. I'm probably going to have to find this EP now.

Back when I was a kid, Levi's did really cool ad campaigns in the UK (no idea if they were global) and one of them involved a gorgeous dude burying his jeans. The tune was the first blues record I ever remember buying (on 7" single, wish I still had it). It was Heartattack and Vine and for years, I had no idea it was a Tom Waits song. This is the Screamin' Jay Hawkins version from the ad. I've grown to love the TW version but this was the original to me and there's times where the man sounds possessed in the absolute best ways.

That's great and I like the story behind how you discovered it. Here's a Screaming Jay Hawkins cover

Dang, that is awesome.

Bastille has 4 cover albums out, I love their take on pretty much anything they do. This is one of the first covers I heard by them though and still one of my favorites:

Back