Covers

Did your research lead you to its use as an anthem in the game of rugby? It’s been sung by players and fans at rugby games for as long as I remember. I’ve no idea why or when it was adopted as such but thought it might interest you.

I actually did see that, thought it was pretty cool. Rather than trying to summarize it, this is what I read about its origin from wiki:

"Swing Low, Sweet Chariot" has been sung by rugby players and fans for some decades, and there are associated gestures, sometimes used in a drinking game, which requires those who wrongly perform the gestures to buy a round of drinks. It became associated with the English national side, in particular, in 1988. Coming into the last match of the 1988 season, against Ireland at Twickenham, England had lost 15 of their previous 23 matches in the Five Nations Championship. The Twickenham crowd had only seen one solitary England try in the previous two years and at half time against Ireland they were 0–3 down. However, during the second half England scored six tries to give them a 35–3 win. Three of the tries came in quick succession from black player Chris Oti making his Twickenham debut. A group of boys from the Benedictine school Douai following a tradition at their school games sang "Swing Low, Sweet Chariot" whenever a try was scored. When Oti scored his second try, amused spectators standing close to the boys joined in, and when Oti scored his hat-trick the song was heard around the ground. The song is still regularly sung at matches by English supporters.

The England national rugby union team returned from the 2003 Rugby World Cup triumph in Australia on a plane dubbed "Sweet Chariot".

It's crazy that that one instance has grown into such a huge thing!

Petra Haden & Bill Frisell covering Coldplay - Yellow. The whole album is excellent (and could really use a vinyl pressing)

This album is fantastic and would love to see it pressed on vinyl. I was actually coming here to say that a new Bill Frisell album is to be released next October on Blue NOTE and Petra Haden is in too. I'll share the info on the pre-order thread as well but thought you might be interested by this.

Catching up on some recent band posts while I procrastinate.
Coldbones had my favorite album of 2018 with Where It All Began. They're an instrumental post-rock trio, but they just dropped a Kate Bush cover with vocoder. Digging the vibe of the instrumentation for this! Definitely not your typical cover.

Reactions: oak
I sure did hype this album for a bit! And I really like this cover. You?
Bought the album on your hype and it livesup to the hype. I really enjoy the cover. Her voice comes out great in that setting and song

I was listening to one of my covers playlists today, and reminded myself how much I enjoy Alejandro Escovedo's take on the Rolling Stones' 'Sway'. Back when SXSW used to officially just be a Thursday-Saturday thing, Al would have an unofficial closing showcase on Sunday night at The Continental Club. He would ask friends to play sets, and then close the thing out himself. This song always reminds me of those shows, primarily because it has this burned out Neil Young guitar vibe going throughout, and it sounds really world weary to me. But in a good way.

And, here's Al slowing down another tune and making it his own. The Gun Club's 'Sex Beat' is transformed into a completely different animal here. The original is all punky and aggressive. This one sounds like it belongs in a David Lynch project or something.

Cross posting from the PopTarts thread:

I may be the only person who gets caught up in this type of stuff, but I love tracing how a song/sound evolves over time via samples/interpolations. There's a really good example of that here in Love Again, which samples that muted horn sound in the chorus from the hit 90s song Your Woman by White Town, which sampled it from Al Bowlly's 1932 jazz song My Woman:

Back