Best Music of 2020

Guess I’m gonna be the one person, but I haven’t heard anything this year that’s as good and we having as Frances Quinlan’s Likewise.

Love love love Hop Along, wasn’t sure how this solo LP would go. But damn, I loved it instantly. Nobody quite writes and sings like Quinlan.

Yea and this is a place we have conversations about our opinions, a conversation you actually started. I guess youd rather talk shit about a band and then reply with played out memes(something I could have easily done in reply with the equally played out "I dont like thing" "ok" angel meme)

I'm actually a little shocked you dont enjoy it since it's very comparable to other albums you seem to like. If anything I respect The Men for changing up their sound all the time and still making it work. Also it's better than their last album.

Last edited:
Personal top albums for the first month and a half:
Obijuan + looms. - languid.oceans (Hip-Hop)
The Spirit - Cosmic Terror (Metal)
Skygaze - Bloom (Electronic)
King Gizzard & the Lizard Wizard - Live in Adelaide 19' (Psych)

Last edited:
Yea and this is a place we have conversations about our opinions, a conversation you actually started. I guess youd rather talk shit about a band and then reply with played out memes(something I could have easily done in reply with the equally played out "I dont like thing" "ok" angel meme)

I'm actually a little shocked you dont enjoy it since it's very comparable to other albums you seem to like. If anything I respect The Men for changing up their sound all the time and still making it work. Also it's better than their last album.
I guess I come into the Men trying to find something similar to what they did on their first 4 albums. I love that what they were doing was a mix of varying punk/hardcore genres. Ever since Tomorrow's Hits, which is still a 7/10 album, they've really changed from what brought in a lot of fans to their music. Their ideas are very scattered and musically it's all over the place. This new album was a head scratcher when there's extremely subdued piano numbers among clashing of guitars and slower ballads. I keep going into their new albums expecting to be blown away but end up disappointed. Is it bad? personally I think so, but many people can think otherwise.

I guess I come into the Men trying to find something similar to what they did on their first 4 albums. I love that what they were doing was a mix of varying punk/hardcore genres. Ever since Tomorrow's Hits, which is still a 7/10 album, they've really changed from what brought in a lot of fans to their music. Their ideas are very scattered and musically it's all over the place. This new album was a head scratcher when there's extremely subdued piano numbers among clashing of guitars and slower ballads. I keep going into their new albums expecting to be blown away but end up disappointed. Is it bad? personally I think so, but many people can think otherwise.
Even at their very best the Men were never a band that would blow me away, but a rock band that can constantly change and evolve will always be interesting to me. The new album wont be on any year end lists, but with songs like Cool Water, Call The Doctor and Wading in the Dirty Water it's another in a long line of solid albums by The Men.

really loving the Texas Sun EP from Leon Bridges and Khruangbin...wish they'd do a full LP together. I've also been enjoying the reimagining of Gil Scott Heron "We're New Again" by Makaya McCraven.

Still mostly anticipating the new Sea Wolf album...digging the first two singles

New Real Estate album is basically modern sounding Teenage Fanclub album. It's very mellow and smooth. It's a little disappointing if thought of as a Real Estate album but thinking of it as a Teenage Fanclub album, it sounds nice. The mix is a little odd. Real Estate are known for that loud warm jangle and the guitars are mixed deep into each track along with the bass and drums. The vocals at very much the front. I'm hopeful that some more instruments may stand out better on vinyl.

So far this year only Poppy and Grimes have really held up for me. Miss Anthropocene had to grow on me but after several listens I've really come around to it. I'm gonna have to give the new Caribou a shot soon because I remember liking the singles and I'm also interested to hear Beach Bunny

I think most of my favorite albums of the year are still yet to come. I'm very excited for the upcoming albums by Rina Sawayama, Hayley Williams, Yves Tumor and Dua Lipa. I also predict we get some new Death Grips this year, or at least I hope, and I'm sure I'll be all over that. Clarence Clarity has been teasing new music for a while so maybe he'll finally put out his new album this year?

Oh and I'm digging this:

I went into the Tame Impala album ready, even wanting to dislike it, because he's gotta put out a dud sometime, right? I just didn't want to be disappointed. But of course it's another banger.

However, this new Real Estate album was the exact opposite. I went in expecting to like it and, yet, here I am with no liked songs through 2 listens. Bummer. At least the Caribou and Soccer Mommy albums are solid.

Back